shock collars

krjens

shock collars

Post by krjens » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:02 am

At what age do you start using a shock collar for training? I have been putting a collar on my pup( with the power turned off) since she was big enough to keep it on her neck so that she is used to it and doesn't associate it with the shock , but I keep hearing different opinions about when to start actually using it for training. I have her following the commands with regularity but wanted to keep her more steady on WHOA, etc. Thanks for your input.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:21 am

I put it on Justus when he was four months old (as soon as I got it in) and started to use it with the "here" command. Problem is that he knows the "here" command so well that I barely have any time at all to use the e-collar.

I guess that's a good thing, but I don't know how well it's reinforcing the command.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:49 am

Did you get a video with the e-collar? If not I would buy one and watch it before I used it.
Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:31 pm

I got three video tapes for free with my collar, but I don't have a VCR so I didn't watch any of them. I did, however, get the Perfection Kennels Perfect Start DVD set and watched it thoroughly.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:37 pm

I would not consider using the E on anything under 7-8 mo old and only then if they were pretty hard headed. It needs to be introduced with the CC and the intro tapes should explain how. I would not think of an E on a 4 mo old...
brenda

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:04 pm

The Perfect Start series shows that exact same thing (intro to the e-collar), and that's why I never worried about getting a VCR to watch those freebie tapes. They put the e-collars on pups that look a lot younger than my (now 5 month old) vizsla.

Justus has been worked on commands since he was 8 weeks old, so he's already a natural at a lot of things. I really don't get the opportunity to ever bump him with the collar because he's always following my commands anyway.

The ONLY time I've really ever had to use the collar was when I called him to me and he refused to come because he had found some rotting entrails of some unfortunate animal. At that point, since I had nicked him from time to time when training the here command, he came right to me and left the innards alone when I gave him a pulse.

He's a very smart dog, and he always wears his personality "on his sleeve." I can read him very well and I'd definately know if starting to use the e-collar was detrimental. If that were the case, I'd put it in the closet and not take it out for a month or two; but Justus is doing just fine with it on. He's even gotten to the point where he wants the collar on because he knows that means he gets to go outside.

Not all dogs are the same, and you'll quickly find out what works for your dog if you just take the time to read what it's telling you. Personally, I'd put the collar on a pup as soon as it can handle the weight of the electronics. Just do that to get it used to the weight, but never use the collar until they've associated it with getting to do something fun (at least two weeks of wearing it first). If you want to condition your dog but haven't ordered a collar yet, then just duct tape a D-cell battery to a collar and that will do the job fine (appropriate weight and shape). The bottom line is, always make it fun and never make it punishment. If you can't set your dog up to succeed, then you need to retrain yourself first. And, finally, the best thing when training with the e-collar is never having the need to use it.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:43 pm

If you can't set your dog up to succeed, then you need to retrain yourself first. And, finally, the best thing when training with the e-collar is never having the need to use it.

Well said. Your dog is lucky to own you.
Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:22 pm

Thanks! :wink:
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com