GSP only Partially Retrieves Launched Dummy

JAY

GSP only Partially Retrieves Launched Dummy

Post by JAY » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:41 am

My 3-yr old GSP does not bring the dummy to my feet; instead, he gets the launched dummy out of the brush into an opening, drops it, and sits.

Furthermore, he will not “come” even if I leave the launcher somewhere and stand a few feet from him. He waits for me to pick up the dummy.

(Launcher is DT Systems, 22 caliper). I launch at a distance of 10-30 yards from him. He sits watching intently and starts running toward where I am aiming when he sees me pull the plunger back and before it fires. Although he will “wait” when I throw the dummy, he will not “wait” when I launch the dummy.

My theories:
 Maybe I trained him by mistake to have this special behaviour with the launcher (in other words, he believes he is doing exactly what I asked) (At 1-2 years he would get the launched dummy but sit and chew it.)
 Maybe this behaviour is his genetics at work (instinctive, difficult to change).

This behaviour is strange for my GSP because:
 He retrieves the dummy to my feet if I throw the dummy.
 He does not retrieve to my feet if I pretend to use the launcher (place the dummy on the launcher, pull the plunger, but do not fire, and instead then throw the dummy)
 He retrieves to my feet if I do everything above except I do not pull the plunger. (He is very good at detecting the faint sound of from pulling the plunger.)
 He always comes when I say “come”; but not when he has retrieved a launched dummy.

My strategy to help him to fully retrieve a launched dummy:
 Continue to practice throwing the dummy for a full retrieve.
 Then pretend to use the launcher but instead throw.
 Somehow gradually shift to firing launcher for a full retrieve

Thirdy8special

Re: GSP only Partially Retrieves Launched Dummy

Post by Thirdy8special » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:58 am

What does he do on a retrieve in the house in a hallway?
Start there and build with correct results. Use a leash if needed and reward.
Watch Dr Dale Hubbard youtube videos. It worked with my 8week old llewellin and works for the dr with older age dogs.
Good luck!
Texas JAC Lewellins(FB)