Puppy intro to quail - let them catch or no

Chrapm1

Puppy intro to quail - let them catch or no

Post by Chrapm1 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:43 am

My DD is 9 weeks old and she has come along pretty quickly with growth and confidence from playing with and walking in the woods with our 3 year old lab. I think it may be time to introduce her to quail in a backyard environment but I've heard counteracting opinions.

Should you deny the quail from flying and let the puppy "play" with it and eventually pick it up or should you always allow the quail to escape and not let your puppy catch it? I've heard both sides and they both seem to have good points, or does it even matter at the introductory stage?

BigTub

Re: Puppy intro to quail - let them catch or no

Post by BigTub » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:52 am

I think it is good to let new pups chase and catch a small game bird or two BUT not more than two.

Chrapm1

Post by Chrapm1 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:55 am

BigTub wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:52 am
I think it is good to let new pups chase and catch a small game bird or two BUT not more than two.
That was kind of what I was leaning towards, just to get them interested and excited but not make it a habit. Thanks

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:42 pm

Many different schools of thought on this. I personally do not believe in "introducing" puppies to gamebirds... with ONE exception.

The average decently bred bird dog comes out of the birth canal with more than enough drive, desire and intensity than the average hunter can possibly use. Puppies like that do not need to get fired up. They already are fired up enough as it is. Mine certainly are, but then I buy the very best genetics I can find.

If a pup doesn't seem like it has that inborn level of enthusiasm, it might be useful to show the pup a few birds, to see if the lights come on. Some breedings have not as much "field dog" in them as others and the instinct to find birds might need some "awakening".

My puppies typically do not see a bird of any sort(other than songbirds in the yard) until they are about 6-8 months old. I want them to have the basics of obedience fairly well in place first. It has been my experience that, if the obedience building blocks are firmly in place, the rest of it comes fairly quickly and fairly easily.

Several of my pups were standing their birds at 9 moths old and most have been pretty solid(good but not perfect) by the time they were 12 months old. If a pup will come when I call, turn when I turn and hold a bird until I get there, I can let it hunt and learn where and how to find birds, while staying in contact with me.

I submit the following racecar analogy... I prefer to install the brakes and the steering before I take the racecar out onto the track. i have found i experience less wrecks that way.

I also do not allow my pups to chase. Their job is to find birds and point them until I get there. If I allow the pup to bust and chase that is something I am going to have to train out of them and correct them for, down the road, and I do not like to deliberately make extra work for myself.

RayG

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:11 pm

That kind of bird intro is for the owner, not the dog.

Why let the pup maul a bird as its last memory of bird work before you're ready to start the pup?

The first dogs I trained were 7and 8 year old mostly show bred Irish Setters. If they didn't need that early stimulation, probably your pup doesn't either :D

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:03 pm

Listen to birddogger2 and Shags.

I never let my dogs start out with birds by letting them catch them. Bad idea in my opinion.

I initially used planted pigeons . ... $2 a bird here. They take off fast, the dog can't catch them , but it revs up the dog's enthusiasm for birds.

Once the dog started to kind of point or hesitate , that was the end of chasing.

I moved to a launcher, check cord, helper.

As I used to trial , I did use the odd quail/pheasant to prepare my dog for trials- but at least when he was older than one.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:39 pm

One bird will not ruin your dog but, what you let them do, you teach!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:54 pm

Exactly Don.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:01 am

Tease the pup yes but never catch. If a pup is going to "catch" it should be shot before hand. Different scent with blood on bird. My opinion dog should not even retrieve a dead bird without blood scent on it. Not really my idea just something Perfection Kennels is big on and when you think about the situation it makes sense. That blood lets the pup know it is wounded and not a live bird so okay to go in and grab.
Doyle

Chrapm1

Post by Chrapm1 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:29 am

ddoyle wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:01 am
Tease the pup yes but never catch. If a pup is going to "catch" it should be shot before hand. Different scent with blood on bird. My opinion dog should not even retrieve a dead bird without blood scent on it. Not really my idea just something Perfection Kennels is big on and when you think about the situation it makes sense. That blood lets the pup know it is wounded and not a live bird so okay to go in and grab.
Good thoughts on the blood on bird. How do you go about conditioning them to the bloody bird without dampering their want to fetch a bird if they picked up a nonbloody one? Or do you just only train with birds that have blood scent and they just naturally will learn that way?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:40 pm

It's a GWP. Many of them make their livings retrieving birds as well as pointing them. It's HOW you let them have the bird. I start them from 8 weeks handling the bird BUT: Pointing is pointing and retrieving is retrieving. So, to clarify, I'll let the pup point hidden birds on a light CC. Then, I'll take them in to the yard, short grass, hold them, throw a bird of have someone throw it, and turn the pup loose with a CC on them. In my opinion, this teaches them to point and hold and gives them the enjoyment of retrieving a live bird. What do I NEVER DO? Once they're working this way, I NEVER let them chase and catch. NEVER. NO WAY, UH-UH.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:30 pm

Catching a live bird is a big NO in my book. Bump and chase wild birds and pigeons builds desire of young dogs, if need be. Also bump and chase for gun intro. I force-fetch all my pointers AFTER breaking to wing/shot, no need to add confusion to the dog. Johnny house birds are good for the end of the breaking period.

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:18 pm

Good thoughts on the blood on bird. How do you go about conditioning them to the bloody bird without dampering their want to fetch a bird if they picked up a nonbloody one? Or do you just only train with birds that have blood scent and they just naturally will learn that way?
[/quote]

Completely stole this idea from Perfection Kennels they have a Facebook page. They have bloody birds and freeze them with legs stretched. From what I have seen they are strict about retrieving only bloody birds. If I could summarize Jon's thinking it is why start them doing something you will have to fix later. It makes sense to me and he is great about answering questions during his Facebook live sessions.
Doyle

Thirdy8special

Post by Thirdy8special » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:52 am

I put the quail in a 2x4ft pen, 11.25 tall, covered with the rubber netting and let my pup walk on top and chase them.
20190513_185328.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Texas JAC Lewellins(FB)

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:16 pm

short answer NO!