Puppy obedience timeline

Chrapm1

Puppy obedience timeline

Post by Chrapm1 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:59 am

I just got a pup Drahthaar and although I’ve raised dogs throughout my life it’s been a few years since I’ve had a puppy.

I’ve been learning that strict obedience should be taken slow to not risk losing hunting drive in these dogs.

Is this the same approach to chewing obedience, aka chewing shoes and blankets? When should you begin light scolding for chewing the incorrect things? Starting 100% now would be nonstop know since she is 8 weeks and still very much like a child with adhd.

Do you start with per object, ie scold lightly for only shoes then move on from there? I’ve been replacing her chewing with bones and toys which works but not all times when she’s in a playful attacking mood.

SwitchGrassWPG

Re: Puppy obedience timeline

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:24 pm

Correct any negative behavior now. You can help yourself out by keeping these things out of the dog's reach to start with. IMO If you prevent it to begin with, there's no correction needed.
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

Chrapm1

Post by Chrapm1 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:24 pm

Thanks, I saw a great bit of advice on this. Correct using pressure over small smacks, good refresher on teaching your pup the right thing vs scaring them.

For example, biting hands grab their bottom mouth with a tiny pressure to get them to stop.

Agreed?

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:03 am

disagree. pretend like you are the mother dog. jump on him hard for biting. Quick ,hard and forgotten. Do what it takes to stop biting immediately. No argument, no question, just done and understood........Cj

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:37 pm

Chrapm1 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:24 pm
Thanks, I saw a great bit of advice on this. Correct using pressure over small smacks, good refresher on teaching your pup the right thing vs scaring them.

For example, biting hands grab their bottom mouth with a tiny pressure to get them to stop.

Agreed?
Lots of advice on this here. I agree with cjhills.
viewtopic.php?f=89&t=54735&p=504106&hil ... ng#p504106

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:57 pm

GRAMPS BASIC DOG TRAINING RULES

1) NEVER GIVE A COMMAND YOU CAN’T ENFORCE.
For instance, if you can’t catch the dog, don’t say HERE. If you command and don’t enforce, the dog learns it only has to obey when IT wants.

2) USE A RELEASE FOR EVERY COMMAND.
For instance, when you say SIT, don’t just walk away, leave the dog sitting, then let her get up and leave on her own. A dog never does anything without a command. If you tell her to sit, she should sit until commanded to do something else or released with the command OK.

3) ONE WORD COMMANDS ONLY!
Don’t have a conversation with the dog. If she’s in the garbage, don’t say “hey you, get out of there. NO! One word NO. Want her to sit? One word SIT!. Not, “hey you, get over here and sit”. Dog’s understand single word’s, not phrases.

4) BASIC COMMANDS EVERY DOG SHOULD KNOW:
HERE. SIT. DOWN. HEEL. NO. KENNEL.
Those are the only six commands you need for any well trained pet.

5) YOU CATCH MORE FLIES WITH HONEY THAN VINEGAR.
A young dog trains faster with positive reinforcement, that is treats and praise. They need SOME negative (slap on butt) to know they HAVE to obey, treats or not.

6) NO BITING!
There are NO exceptions to this! Even in play a pup is NEVER ALLOWED TO BITE! A playful nip now may result in stitches to the face later. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS TO THIS RULE! To stop biting, slap the pup’s nose and say NO! or pinch the gums against the upper teeth and say NO! or, bite him back. That’s what the mother would do.

7) IF YOU CAN’T WATCH THE DOG, KENNEL IT.
Never leave the dog roaming unattended.

8) TWO SHORT 10 MINUTE SESSION A DAY GET’S FASTER RESULTS THAN ONE 20 MINUTE.
Try to never bore the pup. Keep it short and interesting.

9) BE CONSISTENT!
Use the same commands each time. Command the dog ONCE then correct if the command isn’t followed. Don’t tell the dog to “sit”, if it doesn’t, slap it’s butt and yell “sit!”, then let it walk away the next time.

10) PATIENCE!
Teach, teach, teach. When the dog doesn’t follow a command it is probably a lack of education on your part, not defiance on the dog’s.

11) NEVER YELL AT A DOG.
Command the dog in an even voice or you will panic and confuse the dog.

12) NEVER STRIKE A DOG IN ANGER.
You can undo a month of training in a fit of anger. All corrections should be thought out, precise and measured.

That’s it. Very easy but very hard to do. Consistency results in great dog’s.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Chrapm1

Post by Chrapm1 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:32 am

cjhills wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:03 am
disagree. pretend like you are the mother dog. jump on him hard for biting. Quick ,hard and forgotten. Do what it takes to stop biting immediately. No argument, no question, just done and understood........Cj
Good point on thinking how a mother dog or head of pack would discipline, makes sense.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:35 am

the head of the pack hardly ever needs to discipline. The other dogs just know. my dogs never jump on me but they will jump on everybody else......Cj