Is playing tug with a puppy a bad idea?

rcrobert75

Is playing tug with a puppy a bad idea?

Post by rcrobert75 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:21 am

So I am very very new to training a dog. I have a 13 week lab
Puppy that I hope to train into a duck dog. I feel like I made a mistake playing a little game of tug with him to get him Interested in retrieving. Now he seems to have developed a possessive aggressive demeanor when I try to get things from him after a retrieve. Can someone give me any tips on how to correct this behavior?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Is playing tug with a puppy a bad idea?

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:53 am

With some dog's, tug is a good idea. It can give a soft mouth dog a better grip on a bird. As a general statement though, it can be very harmful if done wrong. Never let the pup permanently possess what he is training with. I always have them on a check cord. I'll throw a toy, dummy, etc. and when he picks it up, gently reel him in to me, commanding softly, HERE, HERE, all the way, then gently but quickly pry his mouth open by pinching his upper jowls on his teeth, commanding DROP and praise the heck out of him when I have it, then very excitedly, repeat it. Exactly with the same method.

You haven't hurt your pup a bit, just don't encourage further possessive behavior. Remember that most mouth problems in dogs are created by the dog NOT COMING when called. Have fun!!
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Tim Tufts

Post by Tim Tufts » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:05 pm

When you get the pup back to you (with the check chord) take the dummy in your hand and push it further into his mouth. This will cause him to open his mouth. Take the dummy quickly and then make the big "Good Doggy" fuss over him.

rcrobert75

Post by rcrobert75 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:33 pm

Thanks for the tips. I do use the check cord. He returns pretty good most times. Does returning the object to him momentarily help with possessive behavior?

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:43 pm

Tug is great if you are training a drug detection dog.

Just stop playing tug with him. If the dog has been weak to fetch and you don't want to force break, you can clicker train the fetch.

Put him on a check cord and let him drag it. "Come" should be taught as a separate issue. Get a good solid recall on him, praise for that. Get a hold of his collar so he can't start a keep away game. Give him a command of your choice to release the object and gently press his lips against his teeth. He'll open up. Be sure to praise when he does it correctly.

You can use something sharp and masculine for your command. I tell my dog "will you get that for me?" and whatever it is, she will pick it up and carefully place it in my hand. I won't take it unless she hands it to me, so she is pretty consistent about getting objects into my hand and not letting go until I have a grip on it. I'm not trialing. You might want a more authoritative sounding command.

All the steps of the retrieve should be taught as separate issues: the recall, the sit front (or side if you prefer), the fetch, and the hand off. Work each separately and put them together after the dog knows them.

rcrobert75

Post by rcrobert75 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:53 am

I stopped playing tug cold. Use the check cord and open his mouth like suggested and with plenty of praise.
So in the house he will bring a toy and want to play fetch while I'm sitting on the couch. He usually starts by not releasing what he brings to try and start a game of tug. Today I grabbed the toy and as soon as I felt some resistance I told him to drop it and simply ignored the game for a second. We did this a couple times and miraculously he actually left the toy on my lap. It only happened once. But that seemed like progress to me. I was proud to see his thaught process working out the situation.