Adding New Pup to the family

IowaBoy92

Adding New Pup to the family

Post by IowaBoy92 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:31 pm

I am adding a lab puppy to the pack later this year as a upland bird dog. We already have a 2 year old cockapoo who gets full run of the house (jumps up on people, barks, no manners etc.). He was not my dog to begin with. Question is; does anyone have any advice on how to keep the new pup up on his training? I plan on sending him to a professional trainer, but I don’t want him learning any bad habits from the little dog. I’ve slowly been working with him on better manners, but still am nervous about the older pup teaching the younger one bad habits. Any advice would be appreciated.

ddoyle

Re: Adding New Pup to the family

Post by ddoyle » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:23 pm

You are definitely gonna make life harder on yourself if only one dog has rules to follow... You will have to keep a closer eye because once they get away with it. As my family still doesn't understand dogs do not understand special occasions or the cockapoo is smaller etc...
Doyle

Meskousing

Re: Adding New Pup to the family

Post by Meskousing » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:21 am

Get two e-collars. One for the dog and one for the person teaching bad habits. Every time the dog does something wrong, stimulate the dog and the person teaching the dog incorrectly. Just kidding.

Training a dog is easy. Training people is very hard. If you master training people, please write a book so I can read it. Try and impress on the people of the household the importance of consistent commands, reinforcement, and other aspect of teaching a pup.
Good luck.