Advice for a new owner

Birdman456

Advice for a new owner

Post by Birdman456 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:35 pm

I’m looking to pick up my first Brittany pup in the coming year and could use some advice. I am an avid hunter and outdoorsman but have never owned a dog myself. I am semi-familiar with retrievers as my dad competed in NAHRA events with our chocolate labs when I was growing up. I understand retriever training is quiet different than pointing breeds, thus I am considering myself a newbie.

I would like to approach things from a “life-long companion first, hunting dog second” perspective. In the end, I’d be satisfied with a happy obedient friend that points birds on the 20 or so hunts I go on a year. I don’t need a crazy hunting machine nor do I intend on testing or competing.

To add a wrinkle to the equation, my fiancé and I will be moving to San Diego for one year starting in June. We will likely be in an apartment with little to no yard available (I know - not ideal). After one year we will be able to move back to CO where we will have a little more room (nothing crazy though).

My plan for the year would be to work on obedience and socialization at the local parks/beaches. On the weekends, I would be able to drive to some more remote areas and hopefully introduce him/her to pigeons, gunfire, etc. I will order perfect start/finish and follow it as close as I can given my urban environment.

My main question is: Am I delusional for thinking I can raise/train a pup in a semi-urban environment? I’ve heard people say that a pup should “be a pup” early on but I’m not sure how long that should be for.

Thanks in advance for the help. This site is a treasure trove of information and has helped me greatly thus far.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Advice for a new owner

Post by Sharon » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:46 pm

Very impressed with your plan and understanding of what a pup needs.
My only concern would be crate training in an apartment. Lots of barking /whining often goes on initially and the neighbours might not appreciate that. Will the pup be alone all day? Barking might again be a problem.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:46 pm

As a breeder we always send the pups home "crate conditioned" as I call it. When the whelping box comes out of the whelping pen, the crate goes in. Of course the momma dogs are quite comfortable with the crate and that is the only place the sleeping blankets are. The pups become quite accustomed to the crate being a "comfort" place.
If the pups don't have a head start it is still possible to get them there - the day they come home you put the crate down with their blanket/pad/bed whatever in it. The crate is where they will sleep, eat and drink. There, and only there. They will not have water, food or bedding anywhere else in the house. The crate is their "home" within the home. The first night they are there they sleep in the crate with the door closed. They sleep in the crate with the door closed every night (this is a great aid in "potty training" because they normally will not soil in the crate and when you get them out in the morning you open the crate door but do not allow them to walk out, you pick them up and take them out and then you carry them outside to where you might like them to do their business and put them down - if you try to walk them through the house from the crate to the door they probably won't make it and you will be cleaning up after them and setting back the potty training).
Make the crate their comfort and refuge and you will not have any problems with your dog viewing it as a restriction to his/her activity or freedom.

Birdman456

Post by Birdman456 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:24 am

Sharon and slistoe, thank you for the reply

The pup would be in a crate during working hours so barking could be an issue with the neighbors. In your experience, how long does the barking while in a crate last? My family must have been lucky with their labs, as the barking was almost non-existent. I will try to look for an apartment/small house where this could be less of an issue but that may be a deal breaker.

Is there anything you’d recommend to curb barking while the puppy is young? I’ve read of people using “no bark” collar but I wasn’t sure if that’s appropriate (and/or effective) for a puppy.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:00 pm

Is it possible? Maybe. There is no way I would attempt it. A bird dog in an apartment is going to be a really tough deal for you and the pup.

It sounds like you are wanting a dog for all the right reasons and will provide a great home when the time is appropriate. I would spend the time researching the best possible breeding you can find and get on a waiting list. Most of the best breeders will have a year long waiting list anyway. Also may be difficult to find an apartment that allows it.

If you do decide to pull the trigger and want to get out and run some dogs during the year, I am an hour north. You are more than welcome to join me.

Garrison
Last edited by Garrison on Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:49 pm

Birdman456 wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:24 am
Sharon and slistoe, thank you for the reply

The pup would be in a crate during working hours so barking could be an issue with the neighbors. In your experience, how long does the barking while in a crate last? My family must have been lucky with their labs, as the barking was almost non-existent. I will try to look for an apartment/small house where this could be less of an issue but that may be a deal breaker.

Is there anything you’d recommend to curb barking while the puppy is young? I’ve read of people using “no bark” collar but I wasn’t sure if that’s appropriate (and/or effective) for a puppy.
Amount of barking depends on the dog. I'd hate to use an anti bark collar on a pup, but that may be necessary.
I forgot to mention the difficulty of having a puppy in an apartment when it comes to toilet training. Pups needs to go out every 30-60 minutes.. Try to get a ground level apartment. Easy to just open the sliding door and out pup goes( on a leash) every 30-60 minutes.
Try to get a friend to take pup for a walk at noon; all day in the crate is pretty hard on a pup.

PS Take Garrison up on the offer; you are a very lucky man to have such an offer.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Birdman456

Post by Birdman456 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:36 pm

All valid and appreciated concerns regarding housebreaking and barking. I think I will have to see what kind of space I’m able to rent before I go any further. It seems like my only option would be some kind of small house and even that wouldn’t be ideal.

This might be a question for a different post, but does anyone know of any reputable American Brittany breeders around the San Diego/SoCal area? Keep in mind, I’m not necessarily interested in blood thirsty, pointing machines from prestigious lineage. I just want a healthy family dog with some hunting instincts.

I have a hard time sorting through and understanding the acronyms and pedigrees on breeders websites. I’m either left with the impression that the breeder has too much of a dog for me to handle or they are a non-hunter breeder. Is there specific things I should look? I know OFA certified is a good sign.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:54 pm

It is a very common misconception that a family dog and a hard going hunting dog can’t be the same thing. Many of the very best hunting dogs are the best due to their calm and collected nature. It takes brains and a willingness to want to work with you to be a good dog in the field, the same translates to the house.

You have a lot to choose from in the breed you are looking for. Many great dogs around the country that can fit both applications.

You would be hard pressed to find anyone more knowledgeable about the Brittany world than a gentleman a couple hours north of San Diego. If I was looking for a Brittany, Hidden Valley Kennels in Riverside CA would be my first call and I would ask Paul if he knows of any breedings that might fit the bill and see if you could put a deposit down. He may not breed much himself and if he does I am sure they are all spoken for, but he probably knows every dog in every breeding that would be worth looking at in the country.

It may also be worth looking a bit outside of SD for a house to rent. Lots of nice areas.

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:51 am

The best advice I can give you is to hold off a year. Wait until you move back then get a pup. Spend the year watching DVD's like Perfection's and Hickox and plan your training program. Next year when you're settled, get the pup. You can thank me later.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:40 am

I think in your shoes I'd get settled and check out what's available in your new area as far as being able to exercise the pup and do a little training. Better to know before bringing a puppy home than to have it and be looking for solutions to "Now what?"
You'll have to know your work hours, travel time to and from, what kind of lifestyle you'll be settling into. What sounds OK in daydreams can make reality smack ya upside the head.

If you intend to hunt the dog, I'd think about reversing your priority. A good hunting dog will most likely make a great pet and companion, but a great pet and companion doesn't necessarily make a hunting dog. Find a breeder who knows what they're doing and who produces the kind of dog that you want. Don't shy away from lines that have produced competition dogs; these dogs need to have much more going for them other than being fireballs afield. They need to be healthy and put together properly. They need good brains. They need on and off switches. A good breeder knows this and works to produce it. Sometimes you can find exactly what you're looking for quickly, but because good breeders aren't pumping out tons of puppies you might need to get on a waiting list then chill out until the litter is on the ground.

You've been made a very generous offer by a member here. Take him up on it. IME someone who is knowledgable can smooth things out for you and shorten the learning curve.

Good luck with this new experience. It's a wonderful fun ride.