Alfa 200i

Sika hunter

Alfa 200i

Post by Sika hunter » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:30 pm

Hi there ,
First post, new member.
I have just purchased a Garmin Alfa 200i and TT15 collar. Just wanted to know what you guys use the tone and vibration training function for what command. eg Tone for recall or stay or slow, just wondering what combinations work for you.

tops911

Re: Alfa 200i

Post by tops911 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:52 pm

I have an Alpha 100 and here's how I use it. I don't use tone. I use the momentary and vibrate. I also trained my dogs to whistle commands. 2 blasts means "look at me" (I may be changing directions or want to direct the dog) and 4 blasts means to come all the way in and heel. After having a dog go deaf I started using vibrate on the collar the exact same way, 2 vibrates means "look at me" and 4 vibrates means to come in to a heel. I had no way to communicate with her on walks and felt bad having to nick her to get her attention; that is why I use the vibrate now.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:18 pm

I have never used either function on any collar I have owned. I use the collar for three purposes, as a reinforcement for a known command, a cue for a desired behavior (stand still when training a dog to stay steady) and breaking trash (don’t mess with that rattlesnake or stop chasing that deer). The goal for me is to have a dog that after some time afield never has a reason for me to use it.

Reinforcement is like using a collar like a long range check cord, I said here that means stop sniffing that bush and get over here to heel like you were told, just like you would with a leash.

For a cue, I overlay very very mild stimulation on a second collar on the flank with a stand still command from a leather pinch collar. We use it on stop to flush, backing if a dog doesn’t do it naturally and then on wild birds flushing. The dog knows a stand command with a pinch collar, this is just like the long check cord but on another contact point and very mild so it is not a negative response around birds, the dog knows to stand still when birds fly because it feels the tiniest of muscle twitch and cues the response.

Breaking trash, well that takes some juice, to the point that it is uncomfortable for me on the switch, as my dog yelps and rolls around and runs from what he thinks got him, the snake or the deer. Where I hunt the rattlesnakes have a venom that is on par with the Mojave Green, the dog won’t make it if they get bit. We make sure they know to stay clear.

Some use the vibrate and tone to cue a turn or a recall. A little mild stimulation can do the same thing. You said you have a border collie, they are very smart. After having the collar correct a known behavior once, I would be willing to bet that as soon as it is strapped on again the behavior will be obeyed with out question. Be careful because a tiny too much stimulation on a really smart/sensitive dog will make them want to hang on your leg and shutdown. I would use it as a cue with vibrate, tone or light stimulation, if you need it at all. Border collies can speak English.

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:47 am

Easiest way to transition is the use the same commands on the collar ( tone or vibration ) you use for the whistle. I use ONE whistle blast for stop, TWO meaning "No, shorten your range" and THREE for here. Then I simply transition to tone on the collar on walks. That feature is very handy for pheasant hunting with spooky birds. I don't like, personally, the vibration function. It feels too much like a light electric collar correction. If I'm going to correct a dog, I correct it, I don't give it a warning. But that's just my personal preference.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.