Back2theBook - another new member looking for help

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Back2theBook - another new member looking for help

Post by Sharon » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:36 pm

(I move this here as so few go to the New Member thread.)

by Back2theBook » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:59 pm

My names Robert, also 0 hunting experience, I used this forum for research before I purchased my now 13 week old GSP. What an awesome dog, probably the smartest I've ever owned.

Currently working with a lead and check chord with him, also have already purchased the DT Systems Master Retriever 1100, but I want him to be sure that understands the targeted "here" and and sit and heel. He understands here and sit, still working on leash etiquette though. Will be starting collar conditioning to recall this weekend, then after he grasps the concept of heel, ill begin collar conditioning to heel.

As of right now, place training hasn't happened yet and struggling with potty training, but he's getting there!
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Tim Tufts

Re: Back2theBook - another new member looking for help

Post by Tim Tufts » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:35 am

My only suggestion would be go slow and be gentle. 13 weeks is pretty young to start using an e collar.
Always work on the premis that pups have to understand what you want before you start correcting them

granite7

Post by granite7 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:50 am

I was thinking the same thing as I read it, but I am a brand new trainer with my first hunting dog. I’ll share my approach, and maybe as more experienced people point out mistakes, it’ll help guide you.

I have read the 10 minute retriever several times. I’m reading here and on the golden retriever forum. I’m also watching YouTube videos from Standing Stone.

Based on what I have seen and read, I’ll be working on basic obedience through 6 months with no collar work. Sit. Here. Down. Place. Heel.

Fetch is only playtime right now. He started as a pup and we could do 2-3 throws and then we were done. Now I can get a good dozen from him at 15wks. He is crazy for a pheasant wing!

After 6 months I’ll start introducing him to quail that I am raising. By this point I should be able to do “yard work” with him retrieving outside. I plan to do weekly walks through the nearby field for planted birds, just letting him have fun and learning to love birds.

I will do force fetch and collar conditioning when he is ready, but I would not be disappointed if he is 1 year old before we get there.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:51 pm

Like others have said take it very slow, at this point you are more likely to cause more harm than benefit. Don’t over train the pup, you want it to be short and fun. I would leave the collar in the box and focus on a few minutes of check cord work a day. The rest of the time that pup should be out in the field doing puppy stuff while you keep your mouth shut and let him do his thing.

This is a multi year project, not a multi month project. When the dog is obeying commands on a progressively longer and longer check cord 100% of the time, then you should start thinking about collar conditioning.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:17 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Force Fetch is overrated and usually not necessary. It is tough on the dog and the trainer. Unless your are tough enough to do it, you are probably better off having a pro do it or forgetting it unless the dog really needs it........Cj

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:52 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Your focus seems to be much more toward producing a retriever than a pointer.

My focus is pretty much the opposite, but that only means we have different needs and desires for our dogs. It is all good.

I also suggest that you leave the e-collar in the box for a while. I have always had much better luck getting through to a youngster by putting my hands on them. I think they "want" to be touched and handled and stroked. I think they "want" the personal contact with their new pack leader.

My process has always been to introduce a behavior with a checkcord and/or physical handling of the puppy first. Once the puppy has learned the behavior, I use the e-collar as a mile long check cord, to reinforce what the dog already knows and correct any lapses in obedience.

Make friends with your youngster. Be his hero as well as his leader and he will WANT to do what you ask, which makes your job of training...a whole lot easier. Keep the lessons short and fun...for both of you. if you are not having fun it is a lead pipe cinch that the dog ain't either.

Dogs and horses are different, but there is one truism about working with horses that also has a lot of truth to it when working with dogs It goes something like this:

If you work like you only have fifteen minutes to teach the horse something, that lesson might take you all day to get done. if you approach the lesson like you have all day...it might only take you fifteen minutes.

Go easy, be firm but gentle and always remember to praise whenever you can. We are pre-programmed to administer corrections for errant behavior, but all too often forget to reward the good.

Most of all...have fun.

RayG

mask

Post by mask » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:37 pm

Ray is on the money.
I was told many years ago that dogs and horses can learn three ways, pain, fear, and repetition. A real trainer uses the latter. I was also told it was to bad the same didn't work on 10 year old boys. While a shock collar has its place I have found a lot of dogs don't need it except for a specific issue. I usually suggest Training With Mo for anyone especially beginners.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:10 am

Tim Tufts wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:35 am
My only suggestion would be go slow and be gentle. 13 weeks is pretty young to start using an e collar.
Always work on the premis that pups have to understand what you want before you start correcting them
I agree, 13 wks to young for an E collar. But not to young to wear one turned off. If you can actually get one on the pup and keep it there, let him wear it. Get's him used to it and slows down his ability to associate the collar with the shock. Teach the pup it's the collar that shocks and you'll have yourself a collar smart dog, can't do anything wrong with the collar on and nothing right with it off.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:06 pm

Leave the collar in the box till the basics are down pat. Look into Perfection Kennels system of using very low continuous stem to reinforce your commands. Perfect Start Perfect Finish Videos and many more. They have some u-tube videos out now. Currently on Facebook every Tuesday and Thursday 12:00 central time zone. With free training. I swear by their system 100%. Train from , never seen a bird, to holding birds in 4 days.

Tim Tufts

Post by Tim Tufts » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:42 am

One more thought.
When ever I sell a pup to a "newbe" I always suggest they get a copy of Wing and Shot by Robert Wehle the founder of Elhew Kennels.
It was written in the pre e-collar days and takes you from whelping box to finished dog.
It's old but it's good. (Just like quite a few of the contributors here.)