GSP puppy tips

bayleymay27

GSP puppy tips

Post by bayleymay27 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:16 pm

Hey guys I have a 9 week old male GSP puppy. I’m doing pretty well with basic obedience training. But I’m struggling a little bit with retrieving training and just figuring out the timeline of when I Should expect him to catch on to things. I want to take him to the mountain to walk but I’m not sure if he’s too young for that. I’m also having issues with his retrieving, he loves his bumber and when I toss it out there he chases it down and jumps on it and starts chewing. However he will not bring it back he just jumps on it. There’s interest there I just need some advice on training tips for him.

Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: GSP puppy tips

Post by Sharon » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:57 pm

S l o w d o w n... Only 9 weeks. :) Your most important job right now is socialization.

https://drsophiayin.com/app/uploads/201 ... cklist.pdf

( 30 -45 minutes is a long enough walk right now imo)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:49 pm

Welcome to the forum. Congrates on the new pup. Avoid getting around other people's pets and dogs until you get his 3rd puppy shot in him -- my guess at this time he only has 1 puppy shot in him at this time.. Take your time with him. Instead of a bumper, try a knotted up sock(make sure it is too big for him to swallow). Tie about a 10 foot cord to his collar. Throw the knotted sock about 7 feet away. When he starts to play with the sock--say his name, say here, and then pull him back to you. Don't take the sock away from him right away. Let him hold it a little while and trade him a piece of kibble for the sock. He'll start to figure the game out in a little while-- that he gets a treat from you by bringing the sock back to you. When I have a litter of pups, I usually start them out on this game about 6 weeks old. I only do 1 pup at a time, otherwise there is too many distractions. Good luck with your pup
:D

bayleymay27

Post by bayleymay27 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:18 pm

Thank you guys !!

bayleymay27

Post by bayleymay27 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:21 pm

Thank you guys for the tips! I will try that. I will slow things down and try to build a foundation. I was shooting for the bit picture to soon.

bayleymay27

Post by bayleymay27 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:22 pm

deseeker wrote:Welcome to the forum. Congrates on the new pup. Avoid getting around other people's pets and dogs until you get his 3rd puppy shot in him -- my guess at this time he only has 1 puppy shot in him at this time.. Take your time with him. Instead of a bumper, try a knotted up sock(make sure it is too big for him to swallow). Tie about a 10 foot cord to his collar. Throw the knotted sock about 7 feet away. When he starts to play with the sock--say his name, say here, and then pull him back to you. Don't take the sock away from him right away. Let him hold it a little while and trade him a piece of kibble for the sock. He'll start to figure the game out in a little while-- that he gets a treat from you by bringing the sock back to you. When I have a litter of pups, I usually start them out on this game about 6 weeks old. I only do 1 pup at a time, otherwise there is too many distractions. Good luck with your pup
Thank you I will try this! I was going to big picture to fast. I will slow it down and take it step by step. I just overwhelmed my self and him and jumped a few steps thanks !

bayleymay27

Post by bayleymay27 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:25 pm

deseeker wrote:Welcome to the forum. Congrates on the new pup. Avoid getting around other people's pets and dogs until you get his 3rd puppy shot in him -- my guess at this time he only has 1 puppy shot in him at this time.. Take your time with him. Instead of a bumper, try a knotted up sock(make sure it is too big for him to swallow). Tie about a 10 foot cord to his collar. Throw the knotted sock about 7 feet away. When he starts to play with the sock--say his name, say here, and then pull him back to you. Don't take the sock away from him right away. Let him hold it a little while and trade him a piece of kibble for the sock. He'll start to figure the game out in a little while-- that he gets a treat from you by bringing the sock back to you. When I have a litter of pups, I usually start them out on this game about 6 weeks old. I only do 1 pup at a time, otherwise there is too many distractions. Good luck with your pup
I will do this thank you !

Max2

Post by Max2 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:34 am

9 wks ! That's a little one ! Congrat's ! I would be working on getting him coming from all angles. Let him know that being with you is a lot of fun . I wouldn't even think about teaching retreive until later on . Why bother at such a young age . I always like saying this because (IMO) more truer words have never been spoken . You get them coming and you got it licked ! Everything else falls into place. When I got My first dog the breeder said this to me as I was leaving after picking up my first pup . Always end on a positive note also . Remember at nine weeks he's still a baby.

Enjoy this pup ! make him your friend .

reba

Post by reba » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:31 am

So what I wanted everyone to know is don't expect to much to soon. Don't be to hard on your pup, because your pup is training you to be patient. So once your pup teaches you to accept or tolerate delays, problems, or suffering without becoming annoyed or anxious, puppy will get it.