Possessive with birds

joachimt

Possessive with birds

Post by joachimt » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:11 am

I have a 9 year old GSP. She does really well pointing and retrieving birds. However she has started to become very possessive with the birds when she does retrieve them to where Iam prying her mouth open trying to get her to release the birds. She starting doing this while training with bumpers as well. Again I have to pry out the bumper or wait till she nautrually put it down and quick grab it. She always wears a training collar which I rarely have to use any more. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get her to open her mouth to drop the bird or bumper? (I did have her force fetched by a trainer when she was a year old).

birddogger2

Re: Possessive with birds

Post by birddogger2 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:48 pm

Since the dog was already forced, I suggest you go back to the bumpers and engage in a "refresher" course. If you have never done the drills, you need to read up on it or watch a video or two. If you can, contact the person who did the original force fetch and pick their brain.

You might not even need to go too heavily into it, if the dog understands where the training is going. I suspect if you sit your dog on a table, present a bumper and grab an ear with your thumb and forefinger, your dog WILL remember. In and out, hold and give and if there is the slightest hesitation, thumb and forefinger.

RayG

Cicada

Re: Possessive with birds

Post by Cicada » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:39 am

I have always used the pinch flank method keeps my fingers away from the those bitey parts. And just be sure to grab the right spot, males seem to take offense if you get it wrong :roll:

Grant