New Squeakers.......

TheMorningRise

New Squeakers.......

Post by TheMorningRise » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:45 am

New batch of squeakers are now home in the loft!

Good looking batch too.

Now to get them used to the loft and taught to use the trap doors.
11.jpg
12.jpg
14.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: New Squeakers.......

Post by Sharon » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:35 pm

Wow. I've never seen baby pigeons before.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:58 am

Where did you get them? Nice looking birds. Not getting anything out of my bids this year.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

TheMorningRise

Post by TheMorningRise » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:57 pm

DonF wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:58 am
Where did you get them? Nice looking birds. Not getting anything out of my bids this year.

A guy in Wisconsin.

Things are hard to come by so I am glad I got them. I purchased 16 and lost 3 putting them into the loft! :oops:

I'm hoping that at least 10 will return once I open the trap doors to the loft. Then, I can not wait for them to breed. Surely would like to have about two to two and half dozen.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:28 pm

I have my homer loft set up with a big flight pen out back. also re-entry bob's back there. I tie up the bob's and let them come and go as they please then week or so later start dropping one bob at a time to train them to trap. Before them, all I had was ferals and when I got young squeaker's from them I simply opened the front bob's and let them come and go as the pleased. The first few time's they would go out on the landing board then walk back inside. Then after a bit start dropping one bob at a time. Letting them fly free quite a bit generally let's you start them out farther. They get quite a ways off free flying. I've started bird out about 5 mi right off the bat with no problem.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:30 pm

Sharon wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:35 pm
Wow. I've never seen baby pigeons before.
You should see them when they first hatch. Ugliest thing's I ever saw!

TheMorningRise

Post by TheMorningRise » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:37 pm

DonF wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:28 pm
I have my homer loft set up with a big flight pen out back. also re-entry bob's back there. I tie up the bob's and let them come and go as they please then week or so later start dropping one bob at a time to train them to trap. Before them, all I had was ferals and when I got young squeaker's from them I simply opened the front bob's and let them come and go as the pleased. The first few time's they would go out on the landing board then walk back inside. Then after a bit start dropping one bob at a time. Letting them fly free quite a bit generally let's you start them out farther. They get quite a ways off free flying. I've started bird out about 5 mi right off the bat with no problem.

Been a week with them, tonight.

After another week (2 total), I will put them in cages and then put the cages on the landing boards. Let them leave the cage and enter the avery via opening on their own. Two weeks of that and I will simply open a trap door and let them do their thing. While keeping fingers crossed.

Bdg848

Post by Bdg848 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:31 pm

I'm working on mine now. I would pass them through the entryway by hand daily. Then I put them in a cage and they entered on their own a few times. I did all this over the course of a month. I let all 11 out last week and all but one returned. Now I have been releasing them from different parts of the yard/neighbors yard. I will do this for two more weeks and then start releasing them from maybe a quarter mile and double the distance every couple of days.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Mon May 10, 2021 10:32 pm

I have a screen I can put over my landing board area. I put my squeakers out there every day. They have to enter through the bobs to eat. I do this at least 7 times. When I open the loft to let all the birds to fly, they know how to enter. I let them fly before feeding time. Have 3 pairs of homers laying consistently. My problem is I need a pup to train.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri May 14, 2021 4:43 pm

Nice bunch !
Once upon a time I competed in Racing them.
These days ,in later life the 1 milers serve my purpose.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb0bbznFCPo

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:41 am

Is that food out on the landing board?