FF/trained retrieve question

bamanicksbd

FF/trained retrieve question

Post by bamanicksbd » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:01 pm

We are just past hold and jowl pinch and starting with ear pinch. When pinch is applied he readily opens his mouth and takes the buck but im having trouble getting him to reach for it. I know this is a critical step and I dont want to cause a train wreck. I dont think he is being obstinate I dont think he is really understanding what im telling him to do. Can anyone give me some pointers or tips on getting him to reach for the buck on stimulation.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

crackerd

Re: FF/trained retrieve question

Post by crackerd » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:33 pm

bamanicksbd wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:01 pm
We are just past hold and jowl pinch and starting with ear pinch. When pinch is applied he readily opens his mouth and takes the buck but im having trouble getting him to reach for it. I know this is a critical step and I dont want to cause a train wreck. I dont think he is being obstinate I dont think he is really understanding what im telling him to do. Can anyone give me some pointers or tips on getting him to reach for the buck on stimulation.
Can't give you pointers but I can give you Boykins, Sussex, tollers, V-dogs and assorted Labs for reference. The dog's moving forward - "reaching for it" - used to be a critical "old school" step that had to be successfully surmounted before you could move further into force fetch. But you can let the dog know there's a shortcut with help on the way to taking the dowel or bumper if you've got the dexterity and control to simultaneously move the dog's head forward when you're pinching the ear, and the dog opens its mouth to accept whatever object you're commanding it to fetch.

Yes, it's nice if a dog immediately grasps that it's got more than its mouth to account for in taking a dowel or bumper from your hand. But in the big picture the command "Fetch!" means to put something, anything in its gob at quickest opportunity when it hears that magic word. With retrievers, you advance beyond force fetch by use of the command "Back!" in forcing to a pile as a prelude to commanding "Fetch!" (the sequence is "Back!-Fetch!-Back!") with the ultimate goal of handling a dog on blind retrieves. Don't think you'll be doing too many of those with a setter so simplifying to help your dog get the message for fetching and expediting the "trained retrieve" would be the way to go. Not familiar with a jowl pinch but that probably could've been skipped over too in getting to the point of your setter fetching on command.

MG

CDN_Cocker

Re: FF/trained retrieve question

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:54 pm

Initially you need to teach him to reach. As your apply pressure to the ear simultaneously pull his head forward as he's opening his mouth to meet the bumper. You have to remember that each stage in the process is brand new and does not relate to the previous step for the dog even though it seems obvious to us.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr