Bird puppy destroyed first bird.

Brystons90

Bird puppy destroyed first bird.

Post by Brystons90 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:33 pm

I have a 4 month old Brittany. She seemed to have a very soft mouth and I thought she was reasonably trained to the “give” command. 99% of the time I ask her to give she will let it go. I decided to throw her a locked wing dove today (her first one). She went absolutely nuts and it almost seemed like she was trying to eat it and swallow it whole! I was trying to praise her for having it in her mouth but then she starts chomping down it and I try to take it away from her and she just would not let go no matter what I did, I even did the lift up the flank trick. I had to pry her jaws open. Should I be worried? Is she just over excited and more exposure to birds is needed? Was the dove to small?

Thank you for the responses in advanced!

Meskousing

Re: Bird puppy destroyed first bird.

Post by Meskousing » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:47 pm

I'm only replying because no one more knowledgeable than me has responded, so be careful about the advice you take from me.

I wouldn't worry. Your dog was excited about a bird, which is a good thing. At four months, your dog isn't reasonably trained to do anything, much less give up the best thing in her world. I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish, though. If gunfire introduction is in the plans, then you have a dog that loves birds, so that's a good thing. Keep her on a check cord, so you can control her gently.

Have fun with that spitfire.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:21 am

Personally I would not give such a young pup a live bird to play with. You had nothing to fall back on when things went wrong. I would not give anymore game to the pup unless the game was fit and able to fly away fast.

Not sure what you were trying to achieve by using a live bird in that way ? If it was to encourage retrieving then begin again with bumpers then with bird wings attached to bumpers , then with cold dead birds and only then with freshly shot and still warm ones.

If it was done to get the pup interested in birds then you have done that. It does not need to be done again, she does like birds ! :lol:

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:05 am

I have a 16 week old GSP (4 month) .It spent 50% of it's life so far sucking on a teat and pretty much blind for most of that time.
I wouldn't let it learn what to do on it's own with a tennis ball or a slipper ,even a bumper or a stick.
She is pretty good at eating her food and sleeping ,in between toilet breaks and following me around all day. Darn thing keeps getting under my feet !
Put it in the hen house ,just to see if it will?
flugi settled.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:10 am

polmaise wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:05 am
I have a 16 week old GSP (4 month) .It spent 50% of it's life so far sucking on a teat and pretty much blind for most of that time.
I wouldn't let it learn what to do on it's own with a tennis ball or a slipper ,even a bumper or a stick.
She is pretty good at eating her food and sleeping ,in between toilet breaks and following me around all day. Darn thing keeps getting under my feet !
flugi settled.jpg
Robt., careful what you say about "getting under" anything in light/in torch of Our Bill's recent "dogging" encounter afield (and stream)! :mrgreen:

Plus, for better or worse, they that be "dogging" for Bill's edification didn't blend into the landscape with colour coordination like little Flugi. :wink:

MG

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:22 am

crackerd wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:10 am
polmaise wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:05 am
flugi settled.jpg
Robt., careful what you say about "getting under" anything in light/in torch of Our Bill's recent "dogging" encounter afield (and stream)! :mrgreen:

Plus, for better or worse, they that be "dogging" for Bill's edification didn't blend into the landscape with colour coordination like little Flugi. :wink:

MG
lol...
One should try Pro---plain ,Curious they pulled my er' rather normal courteous reply for 'Ole' Bill .