~ BARNYARD BLISS ~

Irishwhistler

~ BARNYARD BLISS ~

Post by Irishwhistler » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:24 am

DSC07410_Fotor.jpg
~ BARNYARD BLISS ~

My gun dog TRAD is seen during a recent shoot conducted to aid in the control of nuisance feral pigeons on a large dairy farm. Such shoots are beneficial to both our friend that owns the farm, as well as to our retrievers that are more than willing to work pickup of the birds. Such experiences are great for reinforcing a non-slip retrievers requirement of remaining steady until sent to make a retrieve by command. An incredible number of birds, both singles and squadrons of multiple birds, coupled with intensive gunfire, provide plenty of temptation for a less than steady retriever to break, that along with the handler having the opportunity to make a well timed correction if so needed. Additionally, retrievers worked under these conditions have the opportunity to hone their ability to mark multiple falls and to prove their ability at making the retrieve of multiple marked birds. Falls of birds in the heavier cover found peripheral to the barnyard provide opportunities for retrievers to make use of their scenting and tracking abilities in recovery of such birds. Birds that may fall at long distances downrange and not seen fallen by a retriever, provide an opportunity to work blind retrieves as long as the handler has themselves marked the fall well, most often such circumstances occur in recently mown fields.

The great number of retrieves made possible during one shoot of this type present the opportunity to repeatedly reinforce those behaviors we seek to instill in our retrievers under field conditions, but that are not typically achievable when hunting upland birds or waterfowl during regulated hunting seasons with strict bag limit restrictions.

Most often when organizing such shoots, I am highly selective as to the shooters invited to participate with an emphasis on firearms safety being a priority. When gunning this farm, I invite approximately eight gunners so that we can keep the birds moving and provide good coverage by the shooters of an area occupied by two barns, each of approximately 500 feet in length. A clear objective of our being on such shoots is the reduction of nuisance birds for the farmer.

I have utilized the same group of gunners for several years, all being steadfast in the pickup of all spent shotgun hulls from the grounds and not leaving any birds behind which have not been retrieved by the dogs. Our respect for and cooperation with the landowner is of paramount importance and keeps us welcomed back.

Retrievers working pickup under these conditions should constantly be monitored for fatigue and particularly for any indicators of potential heat related injury, prevention being critical. Our retrievers are kept well hydrated and are rotated in and out of service as is prudent based upon the conditions of heat, humidity, and the pace at which birds are being felled.

Amongst the gunners with whom are most often invited, birds are retained for both human consumption and as training birds to be frozen and kept for use in the development of well trained retrievers.

Cheers,
THE DOG WHISTLER โ˜˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: ~ BARNYARD BLISS ~

Post by Sharon » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:24 pm

I remember doing that when I first started shooting.... the birds won. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:00 pm

When I first got out of college I worked for what is now the Morley Nelson Snake River Birds of Prey area on a prairie falcon study. A couple years later I was teaching in Boise and the leader of the Area and I were talking and he said he had good weight data on almost all of the prey species in the Area except the feral rock doves (pigeons, "barn ducks", "flying rats", etc.). So I said I'd try to get him some data. My Chessie/Weim. cross Fawn and I got permission from a local farmer that bordered the Area to harvest some pigeons out of one of his yet planted corn fields. Had a great time. Shot almost 50 for a good data set. After weighing them I breasted them and had some great dinners.

Irishwhistler

Post by Irishwhistler » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:04 pm

Sharon wrote: โ†‘
Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:24 pm
I remember doing that when I first started shooting.... the birds won. :)
Aye Sharon,
They can be dodgey buggers. :lol:

Mike โ˜˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Last edited by Irishwhistler on Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Irishwhistler

Post by Irishwhistler » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:06 pm

fishvik wrote: โ†‘
Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:00 pm
When I first got out of college I worked for what is now the Morley Nelson Snake River Birds of Prey area on a prairie falcon study. A couple years later I was teaching in Boise and the leader of the Area and I were talking and he said he had good weight data on almost all of the prey species in the Area except the feral rock doves (pigeons, "barn ducks", "flying rats", etc.). So I said I'd try to get him some data. My Chessie/Weim. cross Fawn and I got permission from a local farmer that bordered the Area to harvest some pigeons out of one of his yet planted corn fields. Had a great time. Shot almost 50 for a good data set. After weighing them I breasted them and had some great dinners.
Good on ye Mate. ๐Ÿ‘

Mikey โ˜˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:54 am

Irishwhistler wrote: โ†‘
Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:06 pm
fishvik wrote: โ†‘
Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:00 pm
Good on ye Mate. ๐Ÿ‘

Mikey โ˜˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
`Mike, Have European collared doves gotten a stronghold in CT yet?

birds

Post by birds » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:25 am

I cut my teeth on barnyard pigeons when I was a kid growing up in the mid west and just couldn't wait for regular hunting seasons to roll around. I even made decoys. I still bag a few (along with a lot of collared doves) at our local farm seed dealer where I have standing permission to "thin the herd". Delicious and plenty of opportunity!

Irishwhistler

Post by Irishwhistler » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:00 am

birds wrote: โ†‘
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:25 am
I cut my teeth on barnyard pigeons when I was a kid growing up in the mid west and just couldn't wait for regular hunting seasons to roll around. I even made decoys. I still bag a few (along with a lot of collared doves) at our local farm seed dealer where I have standing permission to "thin the herd". Delicious and plenty of opportunity!
Grand tradition Mate.

Mike โ˜˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ