~ Out Of Sight Gun Dogs ~

Irishwhistler

~ Out Of Sight Gun Dogs ~

Post by Irishwhistler » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:06 pm

Aye Mates,

Waterfowl hunting is a traditional American pastime that many of us look forward to with great passion each year. Those that pursue ducks and geese often go through great lengths and expense to make certain that little is overlooked in the effort to increase the potential for successful hunts throughout the season. Duck boats are painted with flat natural colored paints that are formulated to be non-reflective, decoys of highly realistic detail are maintained for ready deployment, duck and goose calls are carefully tuned and practiced on throughout the pre-season months, hunting blinds are meticulously built and located based on scouting efforts, and carefully "brushed - in" to blend with the natural surroundings. Concealment is a critical factor to success when hunting wary waterfowl and that key factor becomes more important as the season progresses. Late season waterfowl are most certainly more guarded and will look hard with discerning eyes prior to lowering their landing gear and cupping their wings to swing into a decoy rig. Any extraneous movement, shiney reflection, or a whiney retriever can easily spell the difference between success and failure.

A well trained retriever is a welcomed member of any waterfowl hunting party and a joy to have along as K9 companionship in the blind. Conversely, a retriever that cannot remain still during the hunt, and is whiney throughout the hunt or when waterfowl are working to the decoy rig, are nothing less than detrimental to all of the efforts made to increase the potential for success.

It is clear that well honed retrievers save hunters a lot of work when birds have been downed on both water and land. A competent retriever can often mean the difference between recovery or loss of wounded waterfowl. Having a retriever located in a position where they can visually mark approaching waterfowl is highly important, but that needs further attention with regard to keeping the dog(s) well concealed from birds as they are worked within range of the gunners.
DSC03731_Fotor.jpg
~ Dog Blind ~ My gun dog trainee MAC is seen during a recent training session working from a typical K9 ground blind. Dog hunting blinds are quite portable, ruggedly constructed and have "grassing strips" which allow native vegetation to be added to the camouflage outer shell so as to further blend into the natural surroundings. New blinds should be "mudded" to eliminate any reflected light off of the Cordura shell, that generally diminishing with regular use. These blinds have an integrated floor which helps in keeping a barrier between the dog and the cold wet ground. An insulated pad can be added to assure further warmth for the working dog. Such insulated pads are a creature comfort for dogs that will be expected to remain motionless for extended periods of time during a hunt.
DSC03736_Fotor.jpg
~ On Watch ~ MAC is seen in side profile whilst waiting to work marked retrieves from the ground blind during a recent training session. It is unrealistic to expect a retriever to work from a blind without having received prior training to do so. Taking a dog on a hunt is definitely NOT the best method to introduce a retriever to working from a blind.

A retriever that has been properly crate trained at home will in my experience adapt very quickly to making use of a ground blind. In this regard, I utilize the same verbal command for a retriever to enter either a crate, or a blind, that command being "KENNEL UP". The dogs I work with are trained from very early on that the verbal command "KENNEL UP" translates to "enter" or "get in".

During the training sessions that I conduct specific to the K9 learning to use a blind, they will run to and enter the blind from many yards away upon my issue of the command "KENNEL UP". Early on I use edible reward and verbal reinforcement to train the retriever that the dog blind is a desirable place to be. Subsequently, the retriever trainee is taught to mark and work retrieves from the concealed confines of the blind. As an extension of all prior retrieval and steadiness training, the trainee quickly learns that he / she must NOT leave the blind to make a retrieve until issued a release command to do so. During such training, MAC will see multiple marks or birds fall, but is trained NOT to leave the blind until released. This method of training further builds drive whilst simultaneously building steadiness. The retriever quickly learns that to leave the blind of his own accord will result in correction via the E-collar and deprivation of making the retrieve. The retrievers I work with learn to value the making of the retrieve as the ultimate "high-value" reward, and they learn readily not to jeopardize that opportunity.
DSC03737_Fotor.jpg
~ MAC Launched ~ A training bumper having been thrown in flight downfield and MAC having visually marked its flight and fall, MAC has been issued the release command to make the retrieve and is seen rocketing from his location in the blind.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Irishwhistler on Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Irishwhistler

Re: ~ Out Of Sight Gun Dogs ~

Post by Irishwhistler » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:09 pm

DSC03738_Fotor.jpg
~ Laser Guided Precision ~ A number of shell type field decoys have been placed in the training field to add realism to the training scenario. MAC can be seen automatically selecting the most straight line to the fallen training bumper and completely ignores the decoys while on his way to make the retrieve. Introduction of the dog to decoys early on in the training process teaches the retriever that they are just another inanimate object within their world as sporting dogs that must be ignored whilst they are working.
DSC03739_Fotor.jpg
~ Mission Accomplished ~ Our gun dog trainee MAC is seen happily on return with the training bumper he was sent to retrieve. He will return to my left side, sit, and make classic presentation of the bumper into my hand upon my issue of the command "GIVE". Subsequently, I will issue the command "KENNEL UP" and MAC will re-enter the blind and take his prone position whilst watching for the flight of the next mark or bird to be retrieved. The training sequence starts all over again. Repetition and consistency forges reliability in the expectations for performance. High standards are trained to, achieved, and maintained in accordance with a strategic training plan that is designed to assure success for the gun dog trainee. All efforts made will translate to a much higher potential for hunting success whilst afield.

The blind as depicted in this training article has obviously not been "grassed in" to make it blend into the native vegetation surrounding it, and is further seen in relatively short cover, this being the case for illustrative purposes. Typically, both adding additional vegetation to the blind's "grassing strips" would create a much less visible blind to approaching waterfowl. Additionally, the strategic placement of field decoys can be employed to further break up the above grade profile of the blind.

Making the effort to train your retriever gun dog to use a dog blind will be one added tool in your concealment tool chest, that being especially valuable in those wide open spaces that geese most often prefer to rest and feed in, those often being more difficult locations in which to achieve a high degree of concealment.

Best In Training,
THE DOG WHISTLER ☘️🇺🇸🇮🇪
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:52 am

That is VERY cool Irishwhistler!
Thanks for sharing!

Irishwhistler

Post by Irishwhistler » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:07 am

Featherfinder wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:52 am
That is VERY cool Irishwhistler!
Thanks for sharing!
My pleasure Mate. Glad ye enjoyed the read.

Mike ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸