~ K9 Motivation ~ Both Art And Science

Irishwhistler

~ K9 Motivation ~ Both Art And Science

Post by Irishwhistler » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:03 am

DSC03621 2_Fotor.jpg
~ K9 Motivation ~ Gun dog retriever prospect SHR LAKE CHAFFEE'S AUTUMN LEGACY O' TRAD FINIAN MAC JH exhibiting drive and style during a recent training session focused on water work skills specific to 3 directional casting.

All of us that work with dogs have our own ideas with regard to what motivates K9's. For those of us that work with sporting dogs, it is often a number of factors that result in a highly motivated dog. Of course, a great starting place and a common denominator would be excellent field bred genetics. As a trainer, I prefer to stack the deck by working with pups / dogs from proven bloodlines. The time, energy, and money invested in producing solidly performing dogs is considerable, so that in mind, it is a good strategy to increase the odds where and when we can. Along those same lines of consideration, a pup out of a quality breeding with solid health clearances on both the sire and dam are more likely to minimize genetically based health problems down the road and a healthy dog is likely to be more motivated than one that is experiencing chronic health problems or pain.

I utilize a success based training model starting very early on in the pups development and continue that as a core philosophy throughout the entirety of time I am training any individual K9. It is critical to recognize that every dog is different, to that end, a competent trainer will flex his methods to meet each dog's given needs.

By its very nature, training gun dogs is repetitious and that can lead to boredom for the trainee if allowed. I profess that training dogs is both an art and science and that the competent trainer is adept at employing methods based on both. Certainly much of dog training is based on the principles of operant conditioning, those being based in the behavioral sciences and proven effective. The art of training for me is based in the "reading" of each individual dog I work with and strategizing what will make that dog perform at its optimal potential. So much of K9 communication is silent, yet, their attitude and posture is constantly sending messages to the astute observer. As well, every dog we spend time with studies us intently and we are constantly sending them messages regardless if intentionally or not. Consider that with carefully planned attention, we as trainers can send out messages of positivity that motivate the K9 trainee, or we can carelessly send out messages of negativity that will have the same effects on a K9's motivational level.

I find that a balanced approach based in both the art and science of training is most effective for me and the K9's I work with. Add a conditioned love for birds and keeping our sporting dogs eager to learn / train becomes incredibly motivational for both the trainer and the trainee.

Seek to keep ye dogs happy and highly motivated by meeting their needs for both physical and intellectual stimulation. Carefully strategized skills development drills can be approached from many varied angles keeping things exciting and eliminating boredom.

Best in training,
THE DOG WHISTLER ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bonasa

Re: ~ K9 Motivation ~ Both Art And Science

Post by bonasa » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:03 pm

So many truths in there Mike, keep it going. Thanks

Irishwhistler

Post by Irishwhistler » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:56 am

bonasa wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:03 pm
So many truths in there Mike, keep it going. Thanks
Aye Mate,
ROGER THAT - WILL DO. 👍

Mike ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:53 am

Excellent posting Mike!! More true words are rarely spoken.
I have been at this a long time and continue to learn. That said, there still remains today a volatility in the acquisition process that can compromise your excellent template.
Stacking the odds in your favor is - if not a guarantee - undeniably an asset. BUT, to-this-day, I get customers - one just 2 days ago - that came to me with an interest in having me train his recently acquired GSP. He is a very nice gentleman that is new to bird dogs/hunting.
Because I have been at this a long time, I wade through the shallows fairly quickly. I asked him pointed questions (pun intended) - the first being, "Congrats!!! Tell me about your pup, please?"
And here it comes.... He responds, "He comes from champion ___ and champion ___ on the sire's side and on the dam's side he comes from champion ____ and champion ___!"
I took a deep breath and because I did so, this gentlemen immediately picked up on it. I then asked if he could send me a copy of the pedigrees, which he did.
And there it was....a respectable list of acronyms adorning the sires/dams - which by-the-way, I think is nothing short of wonderful because dogs can do SO much more than just bird hunt - BUT he wanted a BIRD dog!!! Nothing - and I mean NOTHING - in those pedigrees supports field accreditation. I can tell you that the list of JH (USA) and FDJ (Canada) was quite extensive. But like I said, NOTHING supported their talent in the field.
To automatically assume that this and other similar absences in field titles makes this a totally incapable bird dog is ridiculous. However, back to your point Mike, "stacking the genetics in your favor" I support 100%, when available.
Again, because I have been in this situation far too many times, I end up either with a deflated new puppy owner or the truth simply hurts so much that the potential customer goes elsewhere, and I get that too. "I" am not the culprit.
I have developed the nicest way to enlighten folk to soften the blow. But it is what it is. At the end of the day, there still are breeders out there telling their customers, "Oh YES....our dogs have JH/FDJ designations! They are tested hunters!!"
I'm not here to undermine people that have wonderful bird dogs that came purely from hunting homes however, most of those people acquired those dogs based on their knowledge of the sire and dam being functional/capable bird dogs. Therefore - to an extent -they knew what they were getting.
For a breeder to dupe prospective buyers into thinking their dogs are capable hunters based strictly on JH certificates, tells you NOTHING about their ability in the field, in my opinion.
Here is what I find interesting. It's 2020 and people STILL go out, shop around, read/go on the internet, get info overload, and then buy a pup.
I understand that most people have a breed in mind and I learned a long time ago that the worst thing to do is recommend an alternate breed. I can give them my opinion but the decision of breed is theirs. At this juncture, there are key indicators to finding a pup with potential to become a competent bird dog. THIS is the real void in the research process. Folk avail themselves to ALL of the breeders of that specific breed, instead of working breeders of that breed. This is not a small issue and can conceivably be a 15+ years and $$$$$$ mistake!
Like a friend once told me, "Yuh cain't make chicken soup from chicken shite!"

Irishwhistler

Post by Irishwhistler » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:00 am

Featherfinder,

Great post Mate! Understand that I in no way inferred that a JH title on a sire or dam is a significant indicator as to how their offspring might perform whilst afield. I have seen a number of owners / breeders of bench / show dogs seek to put a JH title on their breed stock and struggle in doing so. If in fact they "earn" a JH, it is often a near miracle and the dog will likely not go any further in earning more advanced titles.

A Junior Hunter title or Started title is simply an indicator that a dog has some qualities indicative of trainability and potential field talent. I would not give much creedence in consideration of a sire or dam with regard to their producing pups of outstanding field potential. Surely both you and I understand this.

My point is that stacking the odds with sires and dams holding advanced titles does tip the scales to one's favor, but that is by no means the end all. Any wise, prospective buyer of a pup should want to see the pedigree of the sire and dam, health certifications, and the sire and dam in action whilst afield would be most preferential.

I am often consulted by others with regard to their desire to acquire finely bred retrievers, more so after folks have seen my own dogs at work. I have ongoing relationships with a shortlist of breeders that consistently produce high quality retriever pups via longstanding selective breeding programs. I would not recommend a breeder unless I was comfortable with purchasing a pup from them myself. The breeders I repeatedly provide referrals to have never let me down.

I do my homework and that goes a very long way. I always suggest others do the same.👍

Cheers,
Mike ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸