VIDEO: Flush/Stop on Cue, Steady to Wing, Shot, Fall, and Retrieve

Higgins

VIDEO: Flush/Stop on Cue, Steady to Wing, Shot, Fall, and Retrieve

Post by Higgins » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:58 pm

Here is a recent video of one of my clients and her Brittany. They came out for 5 days of training. The owner wanted to take it all the way. Not just handling her dog through "steady to flush", she wanted steady through fall, the dog leaving only after her verbal retrieve cue. In addition, she wanted the dog to flush the pointed birds for her but only on her verbal flush/stop cue with no chasing. All of this while she is the handler AND the shooter. I included a clip from the Shotcam camera mounted to the gun. A great wingshooting training tool.

When we started (day 1), the dog was not steady to the flush and was chasing birds. In addition, he was a bit of a self-hunter, sometimes disconnecting and going off to hunt on his own. This video was taken on our last day (day 5). This is just a couple of clips of a longer video I'm working on.

The owner is doing it all now. She is the handler AND the shooter while her dog demonstrates steady to wing, shot and fall. He also does a beautiful job of presenting the birds to the gun (our flush/stop on the verbal "alright" cue). I want the dogs to take on the responsibility of flushing the bird on our “alright” cue. No chasing on that flush. What I want is an aggressive flush followed by an immediate stop to that flush. Get the bird in the air and stop. Then, wait until sent for the retrieve (“hunt dead”). He finishes it up with a nice retrieve. Good bird work with no e-collars (the collar on the dog is a GPS) and no "whoa" commands. A great demonstration of what can be accomplished when you stop with the obedience and pressure and instead, think like the dog.
https://youtu.be/fkerLaddrMs

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Re: VIDEO: Flush/Stop on Cue, Steady to Wing, Shot, Fall, and Retrieve

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:05 am

Hi Brad, I suggest you move house to Britain immediately ! :D The video showed what we require from a dog hoping to win a Novice field trial . The dog held it's point until commanded to flush and it was steady to flush and shot and fall of game. It retrieved on command but I did notice it's return was rather slow and reluctant ?

I suggest you tell the lady that if she wants to keep her dog steady to fall of game she should begin to make a considerably longer pause before sending the dog to retrieve..... I think the dog may begin to anticipate the retrieve command and run-in.
Just a suggestion.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Re: VIDEO: Flush/Stop on Cue, Steady to Wing, Shot, Fall, and Retrieve

Post by polmaise » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:16 pm

Trekmoor wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:05 am
Hi Brad, I suggest you move house to Britain immediately ! :D The video showed what we require from a dog hoping to win a Novice field trial . The dog held it's point until commanded to flush and it was steady to flush and shot and fall of game. It retrieved on command but I did notice it's return was rather slow and reluctant ?

I suggest you tell the lady that if she wants to keep her dog steady to fall of game she should begin to make a considerably longer pause before sending the dog to retrieve..... I think the dog may begin to anticipate the retrieve command and run-in.
Just a suggestion.

Bill T.
The chomping on the first retrieve would put you out!
Maybe , that is why the second clip, the delivery was left out ? , but tbf ! Brad did say he was making a Full video ! (pardon any auto correct) . and he is at least showing more of a process with non -collar training ....right ???? 8) :wink: