Bird wings

RatDog

Bird wings

Post by RatDog » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:44 pm

I was wandering around sportsman’s after I got some stuff to pattern my turkey gun and made a few impulse buys. Hoppe’s air fresheners, a switchblade and these wild bird wings. Now that I’m poking around online it looks like maybe there’s not really a good use for them? Seems like the consensus is that the fishing pole thing isn’t helpful and might actually be counterproductive. I put a couple of them in an old sock with an empty water bottle to play fetch with.

Anyone use these? If so how? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SwitchGrassWPG

Re: Bird wings

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:39 am

About the only thing to really do with them would be to attach them to a bumper to get the dog used to having feathers in its mouth. Playing fetch and keeping it fun should help reduce any future retrieving challenges.
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:28 am

SwitchGrassWPG wrote:About the only thing to really do with them would be to attach them to a bumper to get the dog used to having feathers in its mouth. Playing fetch and keeping it fun should help reduce any future retrieving challenges.
Thanks. Yeah those were my thoughts. Use them for fetch. He freaking loves the sock thing I made with them so that’s cool.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:01 am

They are also helpful, (when wings a fresh, keep some of the ones off birds you kill in the freezer) to teach "Hunt dead".

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:50 pm

When I tarted Stormy retrieving I just used a training buck with scent on it. Down the road I decided to turn him over to frozen birds and it didn't go bad but, when I tried a fresh killed bird, he wouldn't pick them up and bring them back. He liked pulling feather's but didn't care for holding them in his mouth. Should have forced him but have never enjoyed doing that. Well went to wings off chukar taped to the retrieving dummy. Wasn't to good early on as they were still feather's. So put him on a 20' check cord and did short retrieves with him and pulled him off the dummy pretty quick and back to me. Early retrieves were under ten feet. Well he got to where I could sling that dummy with wings on it far as I wanted into heavy cover and he'd get right to it and bring it back everytime without hesitation. Before Stormy most of my dog's I force broke even though I hated doing it. I'd forgot teaching retrieving doesn't have to be a chore as in forcing, been a hoot going backward with Stormy. One of my excuse's for force was a forced dog never refuse's to retrieve well, neither does Stormy! In fact my first pointing dog, GSP called Hannah was also play trained as was her son Drifter. Neither of them ever refused a retrieve!

Keep the wing's and tape them to a retrieving dummy. Actually, my retrieving dummy's are all home made. I use old shot bags and make some from the leg's of worn out jeans. Use the right filler and they float like a cork!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:59 pm

I use ducks ,preferably with wings attached . Call me Old fashioned .

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:41 pm

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202002 ... 364b4d.jpg[/IMG]

BOOM Image