Tips for teaching fetch or retrieve?

Joe3232

Tips for teaching fetch or retrieve?

Post by Joe3232 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:08 pm

My 6 month old setter puppy seems to show a minimal interest in fetch or retrieving. She will chase a frisbee, pick it up sometimes and very rarely bring it back to me. Sometimes she just chases it and then never picks it up.

Any tips on things I can do at this age to encourage retrieving?

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Tips for teaching fetch or retrieve?

Post by cjhills » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:48 pm

You could try to find something she likes to retrieve.
She is a puppy and it is not a cause for concern at this time.
Some trial bred Setters and other breeds have the retrieving drive bred out of them because it makes them easier to train for trials that do not require a retrieve. If she retrieves, fine. If not fine. She can be trained to retrieve later...…….Cj

Max2

Post by Max2 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:35 am

While sitting on the coach at night I might try throwing an object that may be of interest to your pup and I bet she would get excited about it. Get her bringing it back and praise. Close quarter work like this may add interest. Sight chase is always there. Just have to tap into it.

When you throw something in the field . What I might try is just before she reach's the item I would be turning and walking the other direction unknown to her of course as she should be headed away at this time. She will follow and if she comes back empty I would casually walk over and pick up the item and try again. I would be saying nothing all the while. Make it ow pressure and fun.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:43 pm

While retrieving has a strong genetic proponent, it has just as strong of a nurturing factor. All my dogs have a strong desire to retrieve because I shape it from a young pup. My previous mini dachshund was a fiend as is my current chihuahua. He obviously doesn't mark like my spaniel but he'd give the average neighborhood fetcher a run for their money.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:35 am

Sometimes ,the game perceived by the pup (any breed) ends when the chase has finished ? Similar to the situation described with the frisbee.
Sometimes ,the objective for the handler is to make the dog (any breed) bring it back,when all the pup understands is chase and sometimes the handler continually attempts to have the pup bring it back using the primary pre-conditioned response of a pup (any breed) to chase.
Sometimes, the pup attempts to engage in the game but doesn't understand the 'end game'. Therefore sometimes it picks up the object thrown and sometimes it doesn't .
Sometimes ,the handler persists with the throwing in the belief that the pup will eventually figure out the whole game of the complexities required for a retrieve combination of 'Wait ,go when told,pick up item ,hold ,carry,return ,hold until told to release,and remain still, so that they can do it again' ?
Sometimes a pup (any breed) at 6 months old is still going through teething and sometimes some textures and feeling of certain objects are unfamiliar or even 'boring when not thrown'? (A Frisbee for example : I would imagine if landed on flat ground with the curved edge down ,would be difficult for a pup to 'pick up ?
One could try with a furry tennis ball ' (it's easier to hold in the mouth and carry ,and the texture is more appealing than hard plastic ,and it bounces when it lands and keeps rolling when the pup is chasing it inducing and continually encouraging that natural chase prey drive ? (or any other item the dog likes to pick up and carry easily ) like a Slipper ? or anything really. I WOULD start by sitting down and getting the pup interested in the item and let it take it from my hand a few times before I threw it and walk away allowing the pup to carry it
Sometimes ,Fido doesn't fetch a stick ,and sometimes Fido's owner takes all the retrieving out of Fido by not making it a fun game.

Joe3232

Post by Joe3232 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:10 pm

thank you all

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:56 pm

Paint rollers can be a cheap intermediary item for pups t retrieve. They are MUCH better than smelly plastic bumpers while having a more user friendly/less chewy texture for pup. It's also easy to add intriguing scents to a paint roller.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:02 pm

Featherfinder wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:56 pm
Paint rollers can be a cheap intermediary item for pups t retrieve. They are MUCH better than smelly plastic bumpers while having a more user friendly/less chewy texture for pup. It's also easy to add intriguing scents to a paint roller.
One could start a list ?
polmaise wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:35 am
(or any other item the dog likes to pick up and carry easily )
:roll: :lol:

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:49 pm

Featherfinder wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:56 pm
+1

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:43 am

polmaise wrote:
Sometimes ,the game perceived by the pup (any breed) ends when the chase has finished ? Similar to the situation described with the frisbee.
Yes ! That's it in a oner ! A retrieve is , for many pups, a whole collection of behaviours of which some will need to be encouraged/taught. Your pup does the chase part of a retrieve and might be keener to always pick up the thrown article ….if the article remains attractive to it once the pup has ran out to it. If a pup does as your pup does then I at least know it will run out to a retrieve and might, perhaps, pick it up...……….. I will have to develop the other wanted behaviours in any way that I can.

Personally I would turn a smelly old woolen sock into a retrieve article or bumper.....pups seem to be very fond of old, smelly socks ! :lol:

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:21 am

polmaise wrote:
Sometimes ,the objective for the handler is to make the dog (any breed) bring it back,when all the pup understands is chase and sometimes the handler continually attempts to have the pup bring it back using the primary pre-conditioned response of a pup (any breed) to chase.
Sometimes, the pup attempts to engage in the game but doesn't understand the 'end game'. Therefore sometimes it picks up the object thrown and sometimes it doesn't .
Sometimes ,the handler persists with the throwing in the belief that the pup will eventually figure out the whole game of the complexities required for a retrieve combination of 'Wait ,go when told,pick up item ,hold ,carry,return ,hold until told to release,and remain still, so that they can do it again' ?
Sometimes a pup (any breed) at 6 months old is still going through teething and sometimes some textures and feeling of certain objects are unfamiliar or even 'boring when not thrown'? (A Frisbee for example : I would imagine if landed on flat ground with the curved edge down ,would be difficult for a pup to 'pick up ?
One could try with a furry tennis ball ' (it's easier to hold in the mouth and carry ,and the texture is more appealing than hard plastic ,and it bounces when it lands and keeps rolling when the pup is chasing it inducing and continually encouraging that natural chase prey drive ? (or any other item the dog likes to pick up and carry easily ) like a Slipper ? or anything really. I WOULD start by sitting down and getting the pup interested in the item and let it take it from my hand a few times before I threw it and walk away allowing the pup to carry it
Sometimes ,Fido doesn't fetch a stick ,and sometimes Fido's owner takes all the retrieving out of Fido by not making it a fun game.
Yes. Paint roller works well too.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:19 pm

Yup! the paint roller is pretty good too! along with anything else ...
Got one at our training group that doesn't like it ,what do you suggest ? ....from the list ..and what would you do if it never liked what you like best ?
:D

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:27 pm

IF I didn't want to get into FF, I'd use what the DOG liked. Squeaky toy, dead bird, pet cat; I wouldn't care as long as the pup enjoyed picking it up and carrying it.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:49 pm

Sounds familiar .
by polmaise » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:02 pm

Featherfinder wrote: ↑Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:56 pm
One could start a list ?
polmaise wrote: ↑Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:35 am
(or any other item the dog likes to pick up and carry easily )

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:37 am

polmaise wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:19 pm
Yup! the paint roller is pretty good too! along with anything else ...
Got one at our training group that doesn't like it ,what do you suggest ? ....from the list ..and what would you do if it never liked what you like best ?
:D
100_3207.jpg

MG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:48 pm

Is she starting in the Living Room or Dining Room?😂😂

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:08 am

gonehuntin' wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:48 pm
Is she starting in the Living Room or Dining Room?😂😂
Living room - full decanter of W&J Graham's tawny port and open tin of Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader at her, er, fingertips. :?

MG

Joe3232

Post by Joe3232 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:53 am

tennis ball seems to be working well and she seems to be starting to get it. thanks all

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:02 pm

paint roller is also good apparently :lol: