Training an older dog

GnM

Training an older dog

Post by GnM » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:00 pm

Hello,

Its been a few years since I have posted on the sight, and I need some advice on training an older dog. I recently adopted a dog from a guy who was closing the doors on his kennel. The dog is a pointer is an english pointer and is about 2 years old. The owner advised he worked the dog on birds and has shot a starters pistol over him. I don't think he has ever ran him on wild birds, just planted birds. When I brought the dog home he seemed like an abused/very scared dog, and he has continued this behavior which has gone on for about a week. It almost seems like a rescue dog. Once I get him on a lead and walk him around he seems ok, but he does not know any yard commands, come, whoa, etc. When my nephew picked him up he asked the owner what commands he uses. The owner advised he doesn't like to tell "buyers" his commands as they are probably different then what the new owner would use. When I look at this dog, I feel the only training the owner did, was pull him out of the kennel, run him on birds, and put him back. No socialization etc.. So I am thinking I will basically start him out as I would a pup. Get him comfortable with me, get him to come, learn his name, etc.. Does anybody else have any other suggestions, or have dealt with this issue?

Hopefully the dog knows how to work on birds, so when I get to that stage it will be easier. I would like to take him out an run him on wild birds but do not want to even attempt it until he will respond to "come" ..

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Training an older dog

Post by shags » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:59 am

Two years old isn't what I'd call older. I think your challenge is to establish a trust with the dog; the training part won't be particularly special after that

I'd do little else but happy time until the dog pulls out of spooky mode. Any yard training would be incidental to your interactions; you can do heel any time you have him out, whoa when you're brushing him, that sort of thing instead of pulling him out for formal lessons. once his confidence in you is established, then go for actual lessons. If he's now a house dog, you'll find a lot of ways to bond. If he's in a kennel, you can spend some time out there and give him ear scratches when you clean up and that sort of thing.

Not to say you let him get away with poor behavior, but be quietly and confidently authoritative with corrections, no smacking or yelling.

When you think the dog is confident in you, take him out and start him as you would a young pup and move forward as appropriate to where he is with that.

Best of luck with your new dog. We once had a rescue setter who was congenitally deaf and who had lived her entire life - 11 or 12 years - in a Scott's Kennel and who didn't even know how to walk on the ground when she got out of that situation. Within a few months she knew several hand signals and was able to free run with our pups. She became a pretty good training aid to my young dogs and had a happy life for the 18 months or so we had her.

Featherfinder

Re: Training an older dog

Post by Featherfinder » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:00 am

Shags has it spot on! You might want to develop a relationship with this dog before you embark on any formal training.
Contrary to what you might expect, I'm hoping the gent didn't do too much of the wrong stuff with this dog. In that way, you still have time to mold him into the dog you want him to become. It's easier leading a dog down the right path from the on-set than resolving issues.
You've got time.
When you are ready to move forward, start with fun-damental obedience and don't be afraid to use edible reinforcement for the early steps. Know the lesson you intend to deliver then settle in with the lesson. Dogs will NOT follow lost leaders.
Keep your expectations reasonable AND have a blast!! You'd be surprised at what you will learn along the way. I have faith in you both.