Nick's progress

bamanicksbd

Nick's progress

Post by bamanicksbd » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:38 pm

Nick just turned one.This week he had his first full point, hold, steady to flush and steady to shot. He has run a cpl of puppy division trials and he is almost ready for derby. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Nick's progress

Post by shags » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:41 pm

Good lookin' dog, sounds like he's coming along really nice for you.

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:01 pm

Curious, what program are you following? Re: Belly band.

bamanicksbd

Post by bamanicksbd » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:55 pm

A few years ago I went a hunt smith seminar with Rick Smith. I really like their program. The point of contact on the flank is strictly for whoa during early training. It helps to avoid confusion with the point of contact at the neck. Once it’s established then we can transition to just the collar on the neck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:27 am

Nice looking dog Bammer! Were you roading the dog earlier? Just was wondering about the harness?
Best of luck in derby! I suggest you embark on steadying this dog now. He is plenty mature enough. It will serve you well going forward in your/his trial ventures.
I never ran puppy trials unless the pup was super young (one good way to introduce birds) and even then, it was only rarely. There are 2 reasons. One reason is that the expectation is SO low, you end up with pups that LEARN to chase and catch a large number of pen-raised birds. You then have to fix this issue. Some dogs simply learn that, "When we are here (trialing) I can chase and catch birds and the boss either doesn't even know OR, can't do squat about it anyway!"
The 2nd reason is that dogs are tremendous discriminators and terrible generalists.
Yes, you can re-train a dog that busts birds but why teach him to bust at trials and then work on stopping him from busting at trials?
Wishing you all the best going forward!

bamanicksbd

Post by bamanicksbd » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:50 am

I use the roading harness going back and forth to our training grounds. He can get some strength and cardio work in and it helps to let him unwind a little also. He loves to go and is usually wound pretty tight when we start so roading him out there rather than putting him in the dog box seems to help take a little of the edge off.Image[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201911 ... 9ec740.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk