question for Trekmoor

cjhills
GDF Junkie

question for Trekmoor

Post by cjhills » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:23 am

Trekmoor:
Way back I had a book named "the Rough Shooter" Written I think by an English author. I wonder if you7 would be familiar with the book or the author.
I liked his approach to training a dog with issues......Cj

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Re: question for Trekmoor

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:59 am

I can't remember ever reading that book. What sort of "issues" are we talking about here ? I should maybe explain that although I love reading I am not a big fan of most dog training books. All too often I disagree with their authors ! :lol:
The gundog training book I got the most from was one I read back in my twenties. It was Keith Erlandsons first book on spaniel training but much of what he advocated worked very well with retrievers and with the pointing breeds too. It is a book that, to get the most from, requires the reader to be able to read between the lines.

Many people I have met don't think much of Erlandson's book , they are looking for a clear progression of " do this, then do that next" but Erlandson didn't write in that manner.

By far the greatest part of what gundog training knowledge I have has been taught to me by experience ….sometimes bitter experience ! :roll:

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:36 am

I agree with you on training books. This book, as I recall was not a" how to train your dog book" but more of a story about getting a female pointing dog, do not remember the breed, that was timid, lacked prey drive and maybe gun shy to be a solid bird dog to use on some sort of shoots. It seemed the author was fairly well known. It has been awhile so I don't remember it real well. Thanks for your reply.....Cj

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:15 am

I googled this book and I think the author may have been a man called Michael Brander ? He is dead now but I knew him quite well and liked him a lot …..but was not very impressed with his dogs ! We went out pheasant shooting over two of his dogs one day and he shot a pheasant which came down as a very strong runner about 60 -70 yards away on a stubble field .

Both of his dogs (GSP's) ran in at once and when they caught up with the runner they pulled it in half then retrieved the bits quite well ! :lol: I decided there and then not to bother reading his book ! :lol: Mike's only response to all this was ...."Oh dear ! Perhaps they need a bit more training ?" :lol:

I did win a trial or two with him judging but Mike's ideas about eliminating faults in versatile dog trials were much "lighter" than mine's were. He was an exceptionally good judge of hunting ability but not really of retrieving ability or steadiness.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !