Age and Snake Avoidance Training

Garrison

Age and Snake Avoidance Training

Post by Garrison » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:33 am

I live in an area with a lot of snakes. A snake broke dog is a must for most of the year. The last few pups I have had were all around a year old when I did the training which coincided well with the time of year that the rattlers made their way out. We had a whole winter to work on ground application while on free runs. My current project is a February pup so I have been avoiding the fun runs that I would normally do, because where we have access to run, it is pretty much assured to run in to those creepy suckers. How early have you done the training? I’m thinking I probably should be patient and keep to the check cord work, six months on a fairly soft Setter pup is probably still a bit early. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

BigTub

Re: Age and Snake Avoidance Training

Post by BigTub » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:43 pm

We had our Britt done at 4 months. We also had the 9 yr old done ... again for the 6th time. He FINALLY did not go in on the snake. Maybe there is hope for the old goats!

reba

Post by reba » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:37 am

Best to also vaccinate your dogs.

Avoidance is not always possible with a hard running dog.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:58 am

The right age is when you decide to let your dog run in a snakey area.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:40 pm

Found a Southern Pacific down at the chicken coop today. Right near where the kids would normally put their feet when collecting eggs. These guys are bad news, venom is supposed to be on par with the Mojave, glad I found him before he found us.
769691B2-AEDD-464C-A44D-0DE177FFF550.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:48 pm

reba wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:37 am
Best to also vaccinate your dogs.

Avoidance is not always possible with a hard running dog.
I normally do before it warms up. I know that it’s efficacy is debatable but still seems worth it to me. My sisters dog got bit a few years ago and it seemed to help.
- Mark Twain-

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:08 am

We do our pups when the ecollar fits well enough and pups are good on a check cord.
Snakes do not hold back a strike on investigative pups. We do get them rechecked but I would rather play it safe then sorry.
Add for the vaccine there is no real evidence that it works. They can not do real tests because of bleeding hearts is everything they do is petri dish tests.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:17 am

kninebirddog wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:08 am
We do our pups when the ecollar fits well enough and pups are good on a check cord.
Snakes do not hold back a strike on investigative pups. We do get them rechecked but I would rather play it safe then sorry.
Add for the vaccine there is no real evidence that it works. They can not do real tests because of bleeding hearts is everything they do is petri dish tests.

Thanks, I imagine you run in to a few of them out there too.
- Mark Twain-

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:58 am

This has been a bad year for snakes ever one of the ones we caught the head was as big as the back of my hand another one was only 9 inches long. We have transported every California king Snake We can find
The link posted is a video I took from my chicken coop a couple years ago
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1537593702

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:16 am

Wow!
- Mark Twain-

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:39 pm

kninebirddog wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:58 am
This has been a bad year for snakes ever one of the ones we caught the head was as big as the back of my hand another one was only 9 inches long. We have transported every California king Snake We can find
The link posted is a video I took from my chicken coop a couple years ago
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1537593702

OH my gosh! Thankfully we don't have a snake problem in Ontario- occasional Massissauga rattler up north and that it it.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett