DT RAPT 1450 Training Collar or something else?

MikeStaten

DT RAPT 1450 Training Collar or something else?

Post by MikeStaten » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:15 pm

This seems to have all the features (beeper, vibrate stim, etc..) I am looking for at a decent price. However, I am new to this and wondering if I should be considering other options such as the Garmin Delta Upland or Dogtra 2700 T&B or other Dogtra's. I've read some reviews that question the durability of the DT but I have no experience.

My ultimate plan is to use this collar for training and general hunting and once the dog is fully trained use the Dogtra Pathfinder alone or in conjunction with this collar to gain the tracking features of the Pathfinder. Shying away from the Garmin Alpha as it is expensive and from what I have read, too complicated for basic training sessions. 550 Pro Plus is another consideration for a do all unit but I like the idea of having the GPS mapping.

Open to any and all suggestions.

Thank you, Mike

Meskousing

Re: DT RAPT 1450 Training Collar or something else?

Post by Meskousing » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:35 pm

I don't have any experience with any of those collars. I get the feeling you are training a pointer, which is something I have less experience on. More people will open up your post and comment if it looks like a question about force fetch.

Hold my beer:

The only way to adequately train a pointing dog is with a proper force fetch program. Sure, people train dogs without FF, but those dogs are unreliable retrievers at best.

:D

Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:02 pm

Hi, I’m in the same exact boat as yourself. To me the Pathfinder looks to be the best tracking device to me hands down. So cool to see exactly where the dog is on Google Maps. The training collar functions on the phone don’t seem to be the best choice from the reviews that I’ve read due to a possible delay when making a correction. If they had a handheld training remote for the stimulation that would be perfect. I will say that I will get the Pathfinder with the stim and just remove them for now. Just the tracking model alone is $379 and with stim $399. So for the extra $20 I’ll get the model with the stim in case down the road I just end up using the one collar. I’m trying to decide now which training collar I want. I was looking at the Dogtra 1900s but that has no beeping functionality so I’ll probably pass on that. The Dogtra 2700 looks nice, but is around $80 more then the model DT 1450 that you mentioned with that. I was looking at the Garmin 550 plus but I didn’t love the GPS. If you get the DT 1450 and Pathfinder you are pretty close to the price of the 550 Plus with a much better GPS IMO. I’m not to familiar with the DT system but I’ll do some research on it. If anyone has any suggestions on a good quality collar that will alert you when your dog is on point please share which ones you like.

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:46 pm

I cannot comment on the units you mentioned as I do not have them.

I will suggest that you get a training collar that you can use without even looking at it and which has an instantaneous response.

Training is all about timing. If you get the timing of a cue or a correction perfect, the dog progresses much, much faster. Get a unit you can use with ease and confidence. If you can cue the dog with a vibration or a tone, to perform the behavior that it has been trained for and you are asking for at the precise moment you need to... your dog will benefit immensely...soooo PRACTICE with whatever unit you purchase and get familiar with it to the point you can reach down and do what you need to do without taking your eyes off the dog.

Later on...when hunting, if the dog messes up or is not listening, timing is not quite as critical.

Some folks focus on the dog recovering shot game. I focus on the dog finding, pointing and holding the game so I CAN shoot it. Neither is wrong, but I feel you need for the dog to search for, find and hold the bird for you first. If I actually do manage to shoot a bird, we can go get it together if we have to or, worst case...I can go over and pick it up myself.

Different strokes for different folks.

RayG

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:47 pm

I cannot comment on the units you mentioned as I do not have them.

I will suggest that you get a training collar that you can use without even looking at it and which has an instantaneous response.

Training is all about timing. If you get the timing of a cue or a correction perfect, the dog progresses much, much faster. Get a unit you can use with ease and confidence. If you can cue the dog with a vibration or a tone, to perform the behavior that it has been trained for and you are asking for at the precise moment you need to... your dog will benefit immensely...soooo PRACTICE with whatever unit you purchase and get familiar with it to the point you can reach down and do what you need to do without taking your eyes off the dog.

Later on...when hunting, if the dog messes up or is not listening, timing is not quite as critical.

Some folks focus on the dog recovering shot game. I focus on the dog finding, pointing and holding the game so I CAN shoot it. Neither is wrong, but I feel you need for the dog to search for, find and hold the bird for you first. If I actually do manage to shoot a bird, we can go get it together if we have to or, worst case...I can go over and pick it up myself.

Different strokes for different folks.

RayG