Organizing a training day

Scott Linden

Organizing a training day

Post by Scott Linden » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:51 pm

For those who have actually done this, or been a participant ... what are your best tips on scheduling, activities, motivating attendees? Thanks.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Organizing a training day

Post by shags » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:56 pm

I think it would help if you could outline a bit on what type of training day you're considering - bunch of first timers, novices with a little knowledge, experienced folks looking for improving methods or solving problems, steady dogs as personal gun dogs, or polish dogs for competition, etc.

I've been involved on both ends, organizing and attending. Having a set beginning time and an expected end time makes it easy for folks to plan their day. So does having a Plan B for weather. Lunch available on the grounds is great, whether included in the fee or extra, as long as it's in your promo info. Depending on location and end time, recommendations for somewhere for dinner is nice.

Let your prospective attendees know about facilities on the grounds. Porta johns available? Will they want to bring a lawn chair? Is water available for people and dogs?

It helps if your trainer is good with communicating. Some guys go by instinct and have a hard time articulating the whats and whys to the attendees. That can be frustrating to new folks who don't know enough to even know what to ask. At one of my club's days, the trainer would ask the group "Did y'all see that?" or "What did you think of that?" after a little dog work but without any speaking about what and why he was doing something, and what his expected outcome might be. Experienced folks would know what he was talking about, but newbies would be clueless.

Lots of time for Q & A is great, especially after one phase before going into another, while things are fresh in everyones minds instead of waiting until the end of the day. I've learned tons by hearing other peoples' training problems or their solutions or alternative methods of training a command.

A nice perk is to have someone take photos of dog/owner work or candid shots and make them available via email or whatever as souvenirs of the day.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:00 pm

Excellent advice shags. Thanks.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:05 am

I will add only this. I have been a learner handler at training days and I have been a trainer at them too and this is the thing that can make or break a training day.
People and dogs get bored just standing around while waiting for their turn with the class trainer. Keep the class numbers down to what just one trainer can give plenty of time to ….or have several trainers and split up the class.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:23 pm

First thing is to have a very good trainer there that won't take crap from anyone. If you don't maintain control of the group you'll have know it all S telling the group how THEY'D do it and distract from the whole presentation. There can be ONLY ONE!
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:05 pm

All great tips, thanks.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:10 pm

Superb advice already given by all Scott.
I organise Gun Dog Training days every week for regular and irregular attendees,and a few throughout the year where a larger audience of both known and un-known attendees.
I have also attended many events run by others on this side of the pond and a couple your side a few years ago.
The Trainer or Trainers for the event are Never Ever likely to 'Train any dog' in One event meeting ,nor are they likely to 'Train any Dog handler' in One event meeting. If they Claim they can , then my advice is don't use them .
As an 'Organiser' of an event ,the priorities are Administration of the Attendees , such as Location ,ground facilities,promotion, funds,Insurance ,et all'.
(I could list loads that would be the same for any event for any activity).
If every one of the attendees left the event with just one Golden nugget of information or just one Light bulb moment of the day for them 'Personally' ,then the event will have been a success.
(As an Organiser) , You can't please all of the people all of the time.
The best 'Presenters' to an audience of people gain much applause .
One of the best 'Trainers of People who have a Dog' .
I have seen is One that takes that owners dog and shows the handler right there and then the same dog doing what the Handler wants,and explaining how that was done in a way that the handler can do it.
Sadly, they are few and far between,but plenty that tell 'How it should be done'.
Cakes and refreshments are always a good call at these events :wink:

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:27 pm

Backplant birds so you don't have a baked in wait between dogs (or less of a wait.)

Less jibber-jabber and get to the training if it isn't a lecture/troubleshooting-with-the-pro day. Even well meaning simple discussions on obedience can drag on for an hour or more...

Have a written order and be a jerk about bumping people off that aren't there when they're needed.

Have the handler that's "In the Hole" do the backplanting.

Shellottome

Post by Shellottome » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:12 pm

It should be good ole boys and gals having fun with their dogs. If no one is having fun neither are the dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:14 pm

Thanks to everyone. Happy 4th!

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:58 am

There are people that (1) really know their stuff and people that (2) really know their stuff AND can share/mentor/teach it. There is a HUGE diversity in these two dynamics. Just because you are a good trainer doesn't mean you are a good instructor. Find someone that has both the knowledge and the people skills.