BorderTerrier

polmaise
GDF Junkie

BorderTerrier

Post by polmaise » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:18 pm

It is Training , so I put it in the Training section,please remove or change Admin if inappropriate.
This wee Border Terrier come to me 5 years ago ,lovely young lad of 12 years old (the human that is ) .. Roxy the terrier was full of fun, and eager to learn and do things .. Just show me ??? whats this all about attitude type dog .
The Young lad was so enthusiastic and encouraged with what was shown on First visit with his Dad ,and so proud of what his little dog could do in a short space of time under Instruction . Wow! ..Doesn't that fill you with Glee ?
The Young lad is Now in Teenage years and rightly So has other things on his mind ! A promising scholarship in Rugby /Sports ,and the ever pressure to get exam results in School.
Roxy, however has Just been a dog during this time.
Well she has just been a Border Terrier during this Time.
5 years later the dog and owner comes back to Bonny Scotland' , fortuitous that a family get together is arranged .
Roxy chases Squirrels, rabbits, in fact anything!
"I would like it to stop doing this and would love to have a walk in the forest where Roxy is off lead and will come when called ,especially when she is chasing something.
Dont You just Love kids and dogs ? 8)
I hate this stuff In Re-Training..Dogs . I usually want a terrier to "Want" ,but then this other thing like "!Not wanting" In what the owner wants ,gets in the way :wink:

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: BorderTerrier

Post by shags » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:59 pm

Good luck with that! :lol: :roll: :lol:

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:14 pm

shags wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:59 pm
Good luck with that! :lol: :roll: :lol:
Lol. Yea.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:44 pm

Great stuff, Robt. - and wholly (if not holy) illustrative of why North America needs you and your training philosophies to get gundogs and other canines (and their owners) off on the right foot.

MG

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:36 pm

I like "Roxy" , but that is sentiment from Childhood....With a love of terriers ,and particularly Border Terriers. That clouds many.
After a week she is started Conditioning . Well , if it cant leave the livestock alone , It aint gonna leave the Live game alone..> for a chaser of 5 years !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRRZItUq0IQ

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:09 pm

Why don't you mail me one of those little dogs? A male about 12 weeks old, please :lol:

She's minding, but she doesn't like it. She wants what she wants, not what anyone wants her to want. She'll not want that all day long.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:29 pm

I hate it /Love it .
Training where there is nothing to fix.
Fixing Training that should have been there takes longer and sometimes techniques or measures that are Not required if the dog and handler are on the same page .
More often ,a change in behavior from the human is more difficult to change than the dog ! But I personally loose more People friends than I do Dog Friends .

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:34 pm

Enjoying these posts. I'm on my 4th rescue jrt and lovin' it. They are so smart and always thinking one step ahead of you. Keeps you young. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:03 pm

At age 9 some 50 years ago Having one of these in the basket on the front of my bike was like ,every day was an adventure for both of us and we knew it .My first one was called "Badger".
The back box on the bike had the Ferrets and the crossbar had the 4/10 ,the Fishing rod angled out the back of the saddle like a Flag and held on by bailing twine.
The maggots and worms were under my jumper in an old Shortbread tin and tied securely to stop falling out with a Snake belt (Do you remember them Trekmoor ? ) ..they were a brilliant piece of kit.
A beating line on a Driven Pheasant shoot should always have a Terrier (imo) . They can get in cover that even the most determined Spaniel cannot ! and mostly ,any other breeds stay away ,If and when you are sweeping up and the terrier has found one .
"Roxy" ,however lives in North London and has no experience of Shooting ,or beating or Formal hunting . But it does have access to Parks and woods and areas which do have wildlife like Rabbits and squirrels and almost anything else that Moves ,including other dogs and people . With a history of Chasing off after anything and anything and anyone ,that is No life for a wee Border Terrier ,nor is it the life the Owners had envisaged when they gained a bundle of fur at 8 weeks old ,with an idyllic vision of walking through our green and pleasant land on a Sunny Easter weekend with the Family.
Roxy owners are also unlikely to ever go shooting unless it is with an AR15 involving anti -terrorist activity and full assault team from MI5 ,Or the Met in London with Full body armour.
Roxy was collected after 10 days ,and the owners presented with an Acme 210 1/2 whistle and a lead . "What commands do I give Roxy ?" said the owners. "One pip with the whistle to stop ,and rapid pips with the whistle to come in" I replied .
Is that It ? > ..Yea pretty much , anything else is far too complicated for all concerned ,except Roxy ,she has learned much more .
I dont usually have these breeds or clients these last 20 years ,more used to Retrievers/Spaniels /HPR's . Good to have a check call once in a while ,whether it is a Dachshund a Chihuahua or a Great Dane . Every "Gundog Breed" has to have at least the same Basic discipline and Training as all of them before any attempt at Field Training or in the shooting field . Many owners just want to Jump right to a start point that skips this stuff.
Roxy went home after 8 days . !
The owners have had her for 5 years . I hope her next few weeks are enjoyed by her new name given by me .."Heel" :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCUuReohCwo

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:27 pm

I want to see the video where Roxy chooses the cookie over the bunny or squirrel :lol:

You have her looking very good and snappy there though.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:30 pm

shags wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:27 pm
I want to see the video where Roxy chooses the cookie over the bunny or squirrel :lol:

You have her looking very good and snappy there though.
Unlikely , She is gone . Unlikely either with her Owners . Also Absolutely definitely is a dog of any breed likely to choose a Cookie over a bunny or squirrel in chase .
With Training ,almost all ,any dog when conditioned to Stop ,will Stop ,even when in chase :wink: ..well if they couldn't or would not , we would Not have all these Ftch's of Gun dog breeds , would we ? 8)

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:23 am