Won't hunt

clancykeith

Won't hunt

Post by clancykeith » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:25 pm

Hi
I recently got a 4 month old german pointer from good working stock. I have him 2 weeks now and hes comming on nicely with the basics, sit stay etc. My problem is when I take him out for a run in the fields/woods instead of getting excited and running around like a mad dog he simply follows along behind me and has no interest in exploring or hunting, he doesn't even leave the track. I usually have springers and they have always really enjoyed a run in the woods from day one bolting out of the jeep as soon as I open the door. My research told me that gsp would be full of energy and mad to work but I can't even get him interested in playing games with dummies or toys. Have I picked a bad dog? He's just really quiet. I wouldn't expect it from any pup let alone a working dog???

Confused!!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Won't hunt

Post by Sharon » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:41 pm

Welcome to the forum.

so many possibilities:

I'd start with a vet check to make sure the dog is well.
Was he introduced to the gun in the wrong way?
Was an e collar used improperly?
There's a reason pup won't leave your side.
Did you see pup work with the seller?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:22 pm

Had the pup 2 weeks ,well done. I usually have a 3 year old sent to me with issues ,and it takes me that time ,just to get some ground rules. Well done You.

clancykeith

Post by clancykeith » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:39 pm

Saw him chase a few dummies but with his brother and mother.
Never had a collar on him
Hasn't been introduced to the gun yet and he's as fit as a fiddle. Eating no problem.
I'm wondering if it's just separation anxiety??

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:21 am

It's a 4 months old puppy ! Give the pup a chance.

I once had a 6 months old GSP pup that showed little interest in anything . One of my other dogs flushed a rabbit which ran within inches of the pup but even that did not interest him. I considered selling him as a pet but at 8 months old he suddenly woke up and began to hunt. To this day I have never owned a "running dog" like he was. Along with a friend I made Britains first ever full length instructional video with that pup aged between 8 months and 14 months old as one of the two dogs featured in it.

Give your pup a chance to develop at his pace.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:50 pm

clancykeith wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:39 pm
Saw him chase a few dummies but with his brother and mother.
Never had a collar on him
Hasn't been introduced to the gun yet and he's as fit as a fiddle. Eating no problem.
I'm wondering if it's just separation anxiety??
Could be separation anxiety but you have had him 2 weeks.
I wasn't clear; I didn't mean you with respect to the gun or e collar ; I meant the seller getting too eager.
I've read the other posts, but even at 4 months following the handler when out for a run is not normal. I think you have reason to be concerned, but then again at 4 months not TOO concerned yet.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:57 pm

He's a BABY. Give him some time.

Some pups are all over at 100 miles a minute, others are more precocious. But chosing the "winner" from that is kind of like picking the NFL team from the toddler section at day care.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:38 pm

I would definitely like to see some exploring at that age, but either way I would continue to give the pup exposure and opportunities to come across wild game. Take the pup where there are wild birds, rabbits and squirrels to come across and see what develops is what I would do. Several times a week if possible. Keep quiet, if the pup is not moving out, try stopping and remaining still at times and see if the pup becomes motivated to branch out and way from you. The fire can ignite in a hurry and all that anyone can do is provide the opportunity. Patience and perseverance will serve you well here and throughout.

And talking with the Breeder is always a good idea.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:14 pm

Easiest way to get a pup exploring is with an older dog. Just let them romp around, no pressure. Doesn't matter the type, could be a Schnauzer. Working on obedience at a young age can also make them clingy. I'm with the others; he's a baby, give him time.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:51 pm

IME it's helpful to keep quiet. Yammering and nagging does bad things...make a dog nervous and clingy, or close up his ears to ignore you later on.

Many a time I've plunked my self down on a log in the woods, or in the grass in the pasture, and just let a pup do what he will.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:20 pm

Clingy is a habit developed/learned - not necessarily a bad one either. Typically, I would not be concerned in just the 2 weeks you've had him.
He may be that kind of pup...wanting to be around you. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this right now.
Do you work at home - is he ALWAYS with you through-out the day?
Social attraction is a natural tendency for young pups. They like to be near the dam, their littermates and of course their human companions.
This tendency can be advantageous in early training if constructively directed. Here is a downside. Loud scolding, the whap of a newspaper, or vociferous commands like, "No...don't ever do that!!", can elicit the pup's freeze/fight or flight reflexes. This dog may be unsure of his relationship with his owner there-by easily panicked by loud/sudden sounds, autos, actions, etc.
Petting for no reason can also develop a clingy/spoiled/volatile/misguided pup but I am going off on a tangent aren't I?
Take this pup out in diverse (safe) environments. Occasionally bring along a mature dog as Gonehuntin suggested but only occasionally. When you're out with pup for excursions, keep your shoulders back, stand erect, walk with purpose while looking at the horizon as if it holds some intrigue. Now you are speaking dog-language and he will want to share your interest/lure in what is "out there".
Finally, allow him to be a puppy. There is no set time for him to achieve milestones at least not at this age.
If you are still concerned, you could hide small pieces of hot dogs in the high-ish grass. Provide him with an incentive for getting off the beaten path on either side for rewards. Start close...work your way out. Transition from hot dog pieces to bird feathers (no...not birds yet) in the grass, etc.
I congratulate you on your new pup and have confidence he will be a cracker.
Honestly, at this juncture I wouldn't worry about it too much IF his genetics are what you stated.
Can you be more specific as to field attributes in his pedigree please?
Welcome!!

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:35 pm

I'm starting to believe that the only thing that doesn't change in a really young pup is nothing. 4 months is getting along, but still very young. Start worrying in a year, until then, just go easy on the dog and boost his confidence by running him in safe open areas with no cars around off lead as much as possible.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:10 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:14 pm
Easiest way to get a pup exploring is with an older dog. Just let them romp around, no pressure. Doesn't matter the type, could be a Schnauzer. Working on obedience at a young age can also make them clingy. I'm with the others; he's a baby, give him time.
My feelings exactly. Find a buddy with a obedient dog and let them go together.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:28 pm

clancykeith wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:25 pm
Hi
I recently got a 4 month old german pointer from good working stock. I have him 2 weeks now and hes comming on nicely with the basics, sit stay etc. My problem is when I take him out for a run in the fields/woods instead of getting excited and running around like a mad dog he simply follows along behind me and has no interest in exploring or hunting, he doesn't even leave the track. I usually have springers and they have always really enjoyed a run in the woods from day one bolting out of the jeep as soon as I open the door. My research told me that gsp would be full of energy and mad to work but I can't even get him interested in playing games with dummies or toys. Have I picked a bad dog? He's just really quiet. I wouldn't expect it from any pup let alone a working dog???

Confused!!
It can take a while................For an owner/handler to understand even the simplest training programs by the best and most successful trainers of any breed. Usually,the ribbons get in the way.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:19 pm

VERY profound Poly, I must say!
Been there...clueless with ribbons, I mean.
I'm sure I shared this before but a mentor once told me, "That dog was amazing....in spite of you (I was the owner/handler)." I didn't appreciate it, even if it was true. :oops:

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:50 pm

Yea,well I can empathyse there, feathery. Those with a dog that can hunt ,think they have taught it,while telling those that can,with a dog that can't. 😉😊

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:24 am

Poly, I'd be happy to be clueless again IF I could have those years back...please??? :(
I'm betting our very next report form this OP to be a positive one. After-all, it's just a pup.
"Feathery"...I didn't know there was a dress code for this forum?!? :lol:

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:22 pm

Wish you well "feathery". Whatever you wear.
When hunting ,there is often them that have all the right gear ..and others who don't.
Dress how you like on here. Just No pictures. Thanks.
😂

bamanicksbd

Post by bamanicksbd » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:33 pm

One thing I’ve noticed that helps a young dog is letting them run in a pretty open field where the grass or cover is short. Like after a hay field has been cut etc. helps if there are some grass birds around. The open area and the short cover will help with confidence to venture out. Also take wife daughter son friend etc with you on a walk in open area. Y’all spread out and take turns calling pup back and forth. This will help pup feel more comfortable with the separation and also get him excited about going away from you to the other person. After a few times he will learn that there is fun to be found out from under foot. Puppies are like people. We’re all different and blossom at our own pace. Be patient.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk