garmin collars?

birds

garmin collars?

Post by birds » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:35 am

Hi All - Anyone have experience/constructive comments about this collar set up: Garmin Pro 550 plus?
thanks mark

averageguy

Re: garmin collars?

Post by averageguy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:49 pm

I have been using a 550 Plus with a mini TT15 collar this season and like everything about them. My use is training, and tracking the dog in cover and rolling terrain while hunting. Bought a leather holster with a brass swivel snap on the bottom which I clip to the D ring on my WW vest. The transmitter is hanging upside down just above my waist. With that setup and I can reach down and tilt it up to read the large directional arrow and yardage to keep track of the dog in cover.

The point notification is nice and works well. I train recall to the tone on the ecollar and the combined setup allows us to hunt in silence til the gun goes off which I really like.

I was using a 550 for training prior and so using the 550 Plus is very familiar to me and I can run the transmitter while keeping my attention 100% on the dog. If I need to change the stimulation I can turn the dial without looking away from the dog but otherwise have 3 levels at all times while still having a dedicated button for the tone.

I had a miniTT 15 collar go bad under warranty recently but otherwise have had no malfunctions with the setup and have used it 4-5 times a week since September 1st (550 Plus Transmitter that is, I have been using the mini TT-15 collars with an Alpha Transmitter for 3 years prior. I own the bigger garmin collars as well but the minis do everything I need so I use them exclusively)

birds

Post by birds » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:30 am

Whats the difference between a TT15 and a TT15 mini?
thanks mark

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:21 am

The mini is WAY smaller/lighter with a shorter antenna, has less range and a listed 16 hour vs 20 hour battery life. You can compare the specs on Garmin's website.

In 3 years of use in 8 states in varying terrains of all types except extreme mountains, I have never had a loss of GPS signal or battery with the minis, other than when one of my mini collars went bad and had to be replaced a few weeks ago. That collar had worked the day before, was charged overnight as I always do and then the next day neither my 550 Plus nor my Alpha transmitter could connect with it. The collar had seen about 300 days of use and was to the day still under its one year warranty. Garmin put a new one in the mail to me and I shipped the defective one to them. Never heard back what the problem was, but the Tech on the phone speculated a broken antenna wire connection.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:01 am

In regards to the dog collar, does the tracker and training collar run off the same battery? I have an aging Astro 220 can’t even read the buttons anymore, still functions fine and some DC 40’s that I should probably order some new batteries for this year. Debating with myself over a hefty expenditure before fishing season.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:33 am

The setup I am using currently is the 550 Plus transmitter which has its own rechargeable battery and mini TT-15 collars with dual ecollar/GPS functions in one collar and one self contained rechargeable battery. Both GPS and Ecollar functions of the mini TT-15 collar are running off one shared battery in the collar. I have never had a problem hunting all day on a charged collar but would not want to try a second day without charging overnight.

birds

Post by birds » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:35 am

Where did you get the holster? I could not find it on the WW website?

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:43 am

birds wrote:Where did you get the holster? I could not find it on the WW website?
https://www.facebook.com/thesaddleguy/p ... =3&theater

I got mine here.

Since then I see a slightly different version offered by a different company which is available through Gun Dog Supply as well.

Another note, I also have a standard Garmin tether and retractable cable clip on the bottom of the transmitter as it is way too cheap of insurance against loosing it, to not have it on there. You can see the tether in the photo coming out the bottom of the Holster. A belt and suspenders sort of setup.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:49 am

averageguy wrote:The setup I am using currently is the 550 Plus transmitter which has its own rechargeable battery and mini TT-15 collars with dual ecollar/GPS functions in one collar and one self contained rechargeable battery. Both GPS and Ecollar functions of the mini TT-15 collar are running off one shared battery in the collar. I have never had a problem hunting all day on a charged collar but would not want to try a second day without charging overnight.
Thanks, looks like a great set up.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:44 am

How do you switch between dogs on the tracker? Does it switch with the Blue, Red & Black toggle?

Thanks
- Mark Twain-

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:40 pm

Suggest everyone see the thread on the Garmin in the "Product Ratings and Reviews" category.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:01 pm

Garrison wrote:How do you switch between dogs on the tracker? Does it switch with the Blue, Red & Black toggle?

Thanks
Yes the top toggle switch controls which of 3 possible dog/collars the transmitter is set to at that moment. The lower toggle is between momentary and continuous stimulation. Note in the photo the vertical bar on the left of the screen is darken at the top and the toggle switch at the top is all the way up, which tells you which color/collar,/dog the switch is set to that moment. So you can look at the screen and verify. But from a practical sense if handling two dogs, I would set it up so the switch is either all the way up for one dog or down for the other, and then you could operate the switch and transmitter without looking at the screen by feel while watching the dog.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:26 pm

Thanks, slowly talking myself in to dropping some coin.
- Mark Twain-