Can dogs be trained to herd wild deer?

JonBailey

Can dogs be trained to herd wild deer?

Post by JonBailey » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:26 pm

Ideally, the hunter's dog or dogs would seek out and round up wild deer, maybe one or possibly a small herd, like cattle or sheep and drive them right into the waiting gunner's stationary position (just like driving the farm cows home) for the kill, assuming this method was legal.

Wolves in the wild instinctively may use this tactic. I saw Disney's "Lobo" where a lone male wolf in the desert drove a single elk back to his family's den for the kill. This was so the wolf would not have drag his prey for many miles.

In theory, what breeds would work best for this method provided there was no game reg against this practice? Hounds? Herding breeds as collies and shepherds?

I'm trying to figure out all the creative and clever ways man has used dogs to efficiently procure wild game historically.

Saves the lazy human hunter a lot of leg work and time. Let the dogs hustle up meat for you.

Imagine having wolf-minded hunting dogs.
"Let Hercules himself do what he may, the cat will mew and dog will have his day." - William Shakespeare

mnaj_springer

Re: Can dogs be trained to herd wild deer?

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:47 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg6kHiKOK3U

There. There is your historical hunting with a spaniel. Very creative. Don't even have to aim.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:46 pm

Jon, what the heck question are you going to come up with next? :roll: Seems we are getting too many of your crazy questions lately. Give it a rest, please.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:49 pm

:lol: Yup ! I am wondering if Jon is "pulling our chains !" :lol:

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:50 pm

Have you ever hunted deer with dogs? I'm guessing not because that is the most absurd question I've ever heard... and I've hunted deer with dogs literally all my life. No they don't herd them. No wild deer in its right mind would be "herded".... they are not domestic sheep. I feel like maybe you post after having one too many left handed cigarettes.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

bustingcover

Post by bustingcover » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:25 pm

Dakotazeb wrote:Jon, what the heck question are you going to come up with next? :roll: Seems we are getting too many of your crazy questions lately. Give it a rest, please.
Hahaha I was getting ready to say, this guy might be going crazy stuck in his house all day.
You like these dogs because you like the truth. And these dogs, if you watch them, they will show you the truth.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:04 pm

bustingcover wrote:
Dakotazeb wrote:Jon, what the heck question are you going to come up with next? :roll: Seems we are getting too many of your crazy questions lately. Give it a rest, please.
Hahaha I was getting ready to say, this guy might be going crazy stuck in his house all day.

Jon, you are pushing the red button when you start asking questions about illegal hunting procedure basically insult the fair chare morality rules of hunting. In your spare time look up the difference between hunting and killing. Our sport is called hunting for a reason.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:58 am

That's a good one,Ha! You must wear a "kick me sign"!
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:22 am

gundogguy wrote:That's a good one,Ha! You must wear a "kick me sign"!
I wish the Mods would kick him all the way to the curb.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:28 am

Get him (Jon) off of here. Might be a female just trying cause havoc for some reason.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:40 pm

This is a difficult situation , as the member is not breaking any rules, except annoying us by posting :roll: questions too often.

Of course every member can block a member ( see control panel) and not need to read anything by that member. As on any social media site, getting 12+ replies simply encourages the annoying member to continue.

I posted this last night, and as much as it will cause us extra work , I intend to enforce it.

Jon:
"The members have gone out of their way to express themselves without calling you names etc. Apparently, you don't understand that they are not pleased with your thread topics. I believe you mean well, but are truly off track here with most of your non questions. I would ask you to only start a new THREAD once a week , otherwise , for the sake of the whole community, the delete button is going to have to get active on my computer. I have posted this publicly instead of by PM ( of which I have sent you several) because the community needs to know we have have heard their concerns." Thurs. night Dec 7
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:51 pm

Maybe if we quit answering his threads, he will quit posting. At least we can hope so. :D

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:22 pm

They use dogs to gather and herd deer on the venison farms in New Zealand. The one I saw working deer was a huntaway, but I think that a Kelpie would be best suited. Border collie, not so much. They are too intense for skittish animals.

I'd be surprised if it was legal ( hunting deer with a pack of dogs) anywhere in the USA, but I haven't really looked into it.

It's legal to hunt bear with dogs, so maybe you could train your pack of dogs to drive a bear right to you.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:31 am

Trekmoor wrote::lol: Yup ! I am wondering if Jon is "pulling our chains !" :lol:

Bill T.
More likely, the bottle.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:34 pm

It is illegal and is an example of the "ugly sportsman'....like the 'ugly American' not something a real sportsman/woman would do!
Doubtful this is a real post question, some clown trying to get attention.... :mrgreen: