small pigeon loft

RESMER77

small pigeon loft

Post by RESMER77 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:42 am

Hi,

i'm about to start some training with my 7 month old Griffon (Monty).

I'm looking for advise about building a small pigeon loft. I can only keep about 10 at a time. if anyone has some plans they would be willing to share that would be great.

All of the lofts I've been seeing through google and youtube searches are all way too large.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Shannon & Monty

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: small pigeon loft

Post by DonF » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:28 pm

Really pretty simple. You could raise them in the delivery box your refrigerator came in. 4 4'x8' side's, a roof, re-entry door up high, landing pad in front of the door, main door to go in through and five or six nest box's. Again, you could use an mty tissue box, they just don't care. I have a pretty goo number of nest box's and about half don't get used. They build nest's on the floor, under things and behind thing's.

I'd have a couple windows somewhere for light. Mine are old windows I've scrounged out of old trailer house's and RV's. I'd also put a bunch of small roost's they can stand on if their not on the nest's.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:04 pm

You can easily build something using 5 6X6 dog kennel panels. Cover part of the top and a couple sides with a tarp and add a few 2X2 for perches and you've got a coop. Its easily moved in your yard and not a permanent structure.
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:09 am

Just as Don said. I have 2 4x8 sections. Literally just 4x8s with a roof. I plan on racing this year though so I may build something a little nicer. I'd also like 3 sections - cocks, hens and young birds. For perches you can just cut 2x4s about 4-5" long and anchor them to the wall. You want more perches than birds so they're happy and not fighting.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:43 pm

RESMER77 wrote: I can only keep about 10 at a time. if anyone has some plans they would be willing to share that would be great.

All of the lofts I've been seeing through google and youtube searches are all way too large.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Shannon & Monty
Having ten of the same sex will keep the number at 10 . Otherwise the larger ones you have seen on you tube may be better

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:57 am

Ideally, have a covered perch (they will poop on each other) for each bird, 3 or four shelves for nesting, and plenty of ventilation for warm weather. Raise it a foot or two off the ground to keep it dry and the critters out. Small coops are tricky because windows and in/out traps take up space for perches and nesting shelves. You want the aviary or a large window to face E, or SE, so the birds can see the sun come up (said the racer I got my initial birds from).

Mine is 4' x 7' x 5' high in the front, it is a little tight for the 28 birds that are in there now. Once you put birds in, you'll never do any interior alterations ;) I'll be adding an "out" trap next week, as a hawk entered the propped open "in" trap (killed 1) last week :x
IMG_0209.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:30 am

Nice loft. I put predator door's on my loft. Drop the bobs, and close the door and nothing come's or goes. Made my bob's with threaded rod, nuts and heavy wire.nuts screwed on the rod and wire attached to nuts with liquid steel.

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:28 pm

DonF wrote:Nice loft. I put predator door's on my loft. Drop the bobs, and close the door and nothing come's or goes. Made my bob's with threaded rod, nuts and heavy wire.nuts screwed on the rod and wire attached to nuts with liquid steel.
What are predator doors? My birds pretty much come and go as they please all day- the more they poop outside the less I have to shovel out :lol:

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:17 am

Make a door that cover's the entrance is all. Mine hand down from hinges at the top. Could just as esay put the landing on hinges and have it fold up.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:34 pm

Having ten of the same sex will keep the number at 10 . Otherwise the larger ones you have seen on you tube may be better

Yup.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:21 am

DonF wrote:Make a door that cover's the entrance is all. Mine hand down from hinges at the top. Could just as esay put the landing on hinges and have it fold up.
hinged with a latch like this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Take Care
Pete

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:20 am

That's it! Notice the sliding bolt at the top end of the landing plate? Little slot above it slide's into like that, that's the way they come!

OceanMon

Post by OceanMon » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:23 am

Newbie here. What are the wire appendages to the main building? Thanks!

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:41 pm

OceanMon wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:23 am
Newbie here. What are the wire appendages to the main building? Thanks!
They are bobs -- The bobs swing only in and let the pigeons on the landing board enter the building -- the bobs do not swing to the outside, thus preventing the pigeons from escaping the building.