Dog won't housebreak, please help

OHclint66

Post by OHclint66 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:08 pm

I have a very unique problem. My GSP female will be a year old this month and she will go #1 and #2 on herself in her crate. I have repeatedly tried every method of house breaking that has worked in the past. I take her out on a leash and reward her with praise when she goes. Here is the problem, she refuses to hold it while in her crate. She had 8, yes...8 accidents in her crate today alone, despite being taken out every hour or so. I took her to the vet last week and he tested her for worms and gave her a clean bill of health. I described her potty problem to him, and he just shrugged his shoulders. The daily bleaching of the crate and floor, and daily baths have gotten to the point where my wife is giving me the ultimatum of "me or the dog". Any help would be greatly appreciated.

randomnut

Re: Dog won't housebreak, please help

Post by randomnut » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:33 pm

How big is the crate compared to the dog? How much is she in the crate to go 8 times in one day?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:35 pm

What dog goes 8 times in one day?

possible reasons:
Are you over feeding?
If it is going 8 times in the crate, it must be in the crate too much. Anxiety kicks in so the dog defecates.

A one year old GSP especially needs a huge amount of hard running exercise daily. Is it getting that?
Sometimes that requires getting up very early before you go to work to run the dog.
Its' exercise needs will continue until maybe age 12? My 11 year old still needs a hard run/hunt every other day , to be good in the house.
I don't know what research you did before you got a GSP, but it may be this dog is more than you want/expected.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

bustingcover

Post by bustingcover » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:16 pm

Control her intake. Don't free feed or water but keep her under close supervision. After she eats/drinks take her out every 10 minutes. Every hour doesn't seem to be enough. When she's in her crate keep her belly and bladder empty. You don't want her getting used to soiling herself and the crate. When you let her out of the crate let her water then stay on her every 10 minutes until you feel she's empty. You have to stay on top of her.

**I understand some people might be put off from controlling/withholding water but she will be fine. You aren't starving or dehydrating the dog. Just finely managing everything. It's something you have to stay up on. It will be tedious and annoying but trust me the last thing you want is for this problem to set in.
You like these dogs because you like the truth. And these dogs, if you watch them, they will show you the truth.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:58 am

Dump her. Assuming there is nothing medically wrong with her, if she's so stupid and filthy she soils her crate 8 times a day, it's a dog you probably don't want. Either that or kennel her outside.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:01 am

Can you supply more information in order to get more input about your problem?
How much of the day is the dog crated? Is she allowed house time outside the crate? what are her elimination habits when she isn't confined to a crate? How much regular exercise does she get, and what kind? Has the dog been vet checked for digestive difficulites like IBS or food sensitivy?

It sounds to me like your dog has more than a housebreaking problem going on, and if you can give some more information maybe someone here can help you to figure out what is happening. From your OP it sounds like the dog is leash walked then put right back in the crate. If that is correct, maybe she has figured out where the key to prison is. Or maybe she has a physical problem beyond her her control. Help us help you.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:49 am

shags wrote:Can you supply more information in order to get more input about your problem?
How much of the day is the dog crated? Is she allowed house time outside the crate? what are her elimination habits when she isn't confined to a crate? How much regular exercise does she get, and what kind? Has the dog been vet checked for digestive difficulites like IBS or food sensitivy?

It sounds to me like your dog has more than a housebreaking problem going on, and if you can give some more information maybe someone here can help you to figure out what is happening. From your OP it sounds like the dog is leash walked then put right back in the crate. If that is correct, maybe she has figured out where the key to prison is. Or maybe she has a physical problem beyond her her control. Help us help you.
I agree, there is some sort of medical problem going on if you are doing your part. Clue us in as to your normal day activity with your dog.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:43 pm

The other question is, WHY is the dog crated so much she can potty in in 8 times a day?

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:52 pm

Call me 'old fashioned' :D
Wash that Bitch out !... No food . No "bleep" !
Try it for a day or two ..then call me .

TexasBB

Post by TexasBB » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:30 am

gonehuntin' wrote:Dump her. Assuming there is nothing medically wrong with her, if she's so stupid and filthy she soils her crate 8 times a day, it's a dog you probably don't want. Either that or kennel her outside.
I tend to agree. I've wasted far too much time and energy trying to train bad genetics out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:31 am

It's hard to believe (though possible) that the dog has developed this behavior of her own volition; is she a rescue, what does the breeder have to say?

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:49 pm

This usually is a situation I would not even bother to weigh in on. And the responses through-out this thread are fair and level. I'm amazed that OP, OHclint66 has not responded back to any of the questions ask or statements made.
Many times when pups came in for training or the dog and owner attend instructional classes i have often thought, nice dog, shame it did not get to pick it's owner.
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

OHclint66

Post by OHclint66 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:55 pm

Sorry for delayed responses. As I stated earlier, she had 8 accidents in the course of a day, most of the time she goes on herself in the crate right after being walked or being let outside to potty. I walk her or jog with her daily and we train while walking (whoa, heel, etc.) I've took her to the vet last week to have her looked at to see if there is a medical reason. The vet said there are no parasites, no infection, no inflammation, she's healthy. She gets 2.5 cups of grain free food per day, and plenty of fresh water.
This is a matter of a dog going outside to potty, then 15 minutes later she potties on herself. heck I let her out at 10 pm before bed, then I get up at 1am again at 3 am and I let her out 1 more time at 5 when I leave for work. Between 5 when I leave and 6 when my wife gets up she has accidents. And this continues throughout the day. The longest she is crated is from 10 when the wife leaves for work and 3 when I get home. I was using the crate inside to help with potty training. The crate is large enough for her to lay down in but not enough room to roam about.

OHclint66

Post by OHclint66 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:44 pm

Ok everyone. I have not replied because we had a full weekend without time to log on.
I took her to the vet 2 weeks ago to have her completely looked at and bring up my housebreaking woes. She doesn't have a UTI, or any parasites.

Her crate is 30 inches wide, 30 inches tall and 48 inches deep. she has enough room to lay down and stretch out, stand up etc, but not enough room to roam about.

She eats 2.5 cups of Redford food per day, as suggested per her weight. Half of it is fed to her in the morning, half in the afternoon. Its 21% protein, 10% fat, 4% fiber

She goes outside every hour on a leash, and gets rewarded as soon as she starts going.

We take walks/jogs in the morning about 4:30 am. and I leave for work at 5:15. When my wife wakes up at 6 she has pottied on herself. When I get home at 3 we play fetch, practice whoa, and weather permitting we play with the neighbors dogs in our fenced in back yard. On the weekends we train with live birds at a preserve, and she has accidents in her dog box while waiting for me to plant birds.

Is there a chance her food is too high in protein content? Is clicker training (which as a pup helped her learn, come, sit, kennel, etc.) used for housebreaking?

As far as her not getting to pick her owner and all the other negativity, this dog is loved for and cared for, well socialized and part of my family. I am here for training advice, not to be berated by a bunch of self righteous keyboard warriors.

Thanks

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:06 pm

Separation anxiety? How does she do if left out of the crate?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:35 pm

JONOV wrote:Separation anxiety? How does she do if left out of the crate?
I agree, this is exactly what it sounds like if I understand what the normal procedure is during the day. I was very disappointed with the last response by the OP that I had to edit but I understand, as a new member, it is difficult to always understand just how something that is said is really meant. All of us have to bee a little careful how we post and it is just as important if one wants to remain that they are careful how they respond. There are rules that everyone will abide by on this public forum and to save you the trouble of looking them up just be sure what you post is something you would say to your mother while you are in church visiting with the Priest or Pastor. That will get you by every time.

Thank you
ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:56 pm

OHclint66 wrote:Ok everyone. I have not replied because we had a full weekend without time to log on.
I took her to the vet 2 weeks ago to have her completely looked at and bring up my housebreaking woes. She doesn't have a UTI, or any parasites.

Her crate is 30 inches wide, 30 inches tall and 48 inches deep. she has enough room to lay down and stretch out, stand up etc, but not enough room to roam about.

She eats 2.5 cups of Redford food per day, as suggested per her weight. Half of it is fed to her in the morning, half in the afternoon. Its 21% protein, 10% fat, 4% fiber

She goes outside every hour on a leash, and gets rewarded as soon as she starts going.

We take walks/jogs in the morning about 4:30 am. and I leave for work at 5:15. When my wife wakes up at 6 she has pottied on herself. When I get home at 3 we play fetch, practice whoa, and weather permitting we play with the neighbors dogs in our fenced in back yard. On the weekends we train with live birds at a preserve, and she has accidents in her dog box while waiting for me to plant birds.

Is there a chance her food is too high in protein content? Is clicker training (which as a pup helped her learn, come, sit, kennel, etc.) used for housebreaking?

As far as her not getting to pick her owner and all the other negativity, this dog is loved for and cared for, well socialized and part of my family. I am here for training advice, not to be berated by a bunch of self righteous keyboard warriors.

Thanks
I'll stand by my original post ! ..Wash that bitch out ..and give it No Food!! ..It can't crap for a day or two with nothing in it !!! That's a base to start the 'New behavior' ..then You can start by taking the dog out to 'Air' itself before any training or activity with you or the wife ! ..heck..They can be conditioned to do the toilet 'On Command' !...If it's consistent and repetitive. Plain as !
As for the comment regarding training advice and or berated . Wake up Sugar britches ,You have the issue and don't know how to solve it ...many on here actually Do !?...Take it or leave it and move on . ..But I and I'm sure those that have given their advice are not about to coat some candy and tell you it's gonna sort it'self out and you are doing a good job :) ...Cause You ain't so far buddy. So just wind yer neck in a bit and you may have some real good folk help you . atb .
Edited to add .Ezzy, this is exactly what my mamma or minister would have said it :)

randomnut

Post by randomnut » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:16 pm

30x30x48 seems way too big.

GSPONPOINT32

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:07 pm

My GSP may have had some separation anxiety as well. He never pissed his crate after a few weeks but that's neither here nor there. He would whine when I left and when I came home. I sent him to my parents for 10 days when I had my child. Cured all separation issues completely. Just a thought

Builderman21

Post by Builderman21 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:38 pm

My EP mix has a stomach issue where if he eats any table food other than fruits and vegetables he gets severe diarrhea and one time was he was stubborn and wouldn't go before I left for a few hours and he went in his kennel and ate it and kept getting sick other wise on a daily basis he can be left for 10-12 hours without incident. My GSP got bit by a rattlesnake the other year and between the venom and amount of stuff pumped in her something affected her bladder so about 1-4 times a month she will pee on her blankets in her kennel but that's a medical issue. Your problem sounds like my little guy, we had to put him on a special food and very very slowly ween him off of it along with some medication and now we're aware of the situation.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:34 pm

OP, You haven't mentioned whether if the dog has solid formed stools or soft mushy ones. Soft mushy indicates some kind of problem with digestibility.

Since you have fenced back yard, have you allowed the dog to move around on her own, off leash, to 'go'? One of my dogs routinely empties out by making 4 or 5 different piles in one outing; if we call him in after one, in a couple minutes he's asking to go out again. So maybe your dog is similar, she goes once on lead, gets put up, but her bowels have been stimulated but not emptied and she can't hold it.

Alternatively, what happens if you allow her to be uncrated between the time you leave and when your wife gets up?

Does the dog whine and carry on when she's crated?

Shellottome

Post by Shellottome » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:45 pm

OH- does she hunt good?

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:12 am

OHclint66 wrote:Sorry for delayed responses. As I stated earlier, she had 8 accidents in the course of a day, most of the time she goes on herself in the crate right after being walked or being let outside to potty. I walk her or jog with her daily and we train while walking (whoa, heel, etc.) I've took her to the vet last week to have her looked at to see if there is a medical reason. The vet said there are no parasites, no infection, no inflammation, she's healthy. She gets 2.5 cups of grain free food per day, and plenty of fresh water.
This is a matter of a dog going outside to potty, then 15 minutes later she potties on herself. heck I let her out at 10 pm before bed, then I get up at 1am again at 3 am and I let her out 1 more time at 5 when I leave for work. Between 5 when I leave and 6 when my wife gets up she has accidents. And this continues throughout the day. The longest she is crated is from 10 when the wife leaves for work and 3 when I get home. I was using the crate inside to help with potty training. The crate is large enough for her to lay down in but not enough room to roam about.
13 hours (that's what you're describing) in the crate may be too much. I know less than most people here, but the firm hand drill sergeant approach might not be the right way to go.

Look for the DVD "Crate Games." People say it works miracles.

Can you put a dog bed in your room and let her sleep in the corner? Close the bedroom door so she doesn't roam the house? Failing that, move the crate to your bedroom?

It doesn't sound like this has anything to do with potty training and everything to do with anxiety.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:54 pm

JONOV wrote:
OHclint66 wrote:Sorry for delayed responses. As I stated earlier, she had 8 accidents in the course of a day, most of the time she goes on herself in the crate right after being walked or being let outside to potty. I walk her or jog with her daily and we train while walking (whoa, heel, etc.) I've took her to the vet last week to have her looked at to see if there is a medical reason. The vet said there are no parasites, no infection, no inflammation, she's healthy. She gets 2.5 cups of grain free food per day, and plenty of fresh water.
13 hours (that's what you're describing) in the crate may be too much. I know less than most people here, but the firm hand drill sergeant approach might not be the right way to go.

Look for the DVD "Crate Games." People say it works miracles.

Can you put a dog bed in your room and let her sleep in the corner? Close the bedroom door so she doesn't roam the house? Failing that, move the crate to your bedroom?

It doesn't sound like this has anything to do with potty training and everything to do with anxiety.
10-3, only five hours max in the crate.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:37 pm

Is she spayed? Especially spayed under a year you might have this:
http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-expert ... emale-dogs

My lab was spayed at 8 months and she was incontinent ever after and had to have life long meds for it. Sometimes she could hold it a little but often especially when asleep she would just urinate while totally unaware and then the wetness would startle her awake and she would pace until I cleaned it up. Meds helped and she was able to remain an indoor dog, but would still have break through urination at times and require a change in dosing.