Need advice with 5.5 month VDD

G-REX

Need advice with 5.5 month VDD

Post by G-REX » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:26 pm

Hi hunters, i have a 5.5 month old gwp vdd, and he can whoa kinda good. Do i teach him stay too? Or is whoa already meaning stay?
I haven't train him on pigeons or any birds yet. I know i need to. I notice when i let him loose in the fields he doesn't chase birds? What can i do to to make him chase birds?
He points at a pheasant wing on a line and at frozen ducks?
First bird dog . .help
Thanks in advance

AAA Gundogs

Re: Need advice with 5.5 month VDD

Post by AAA Gundogs » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:51 pm

Are you going to test this dog in any system?

If so and in the JGHV system, you should pick up a 50' check cord, a 15' cordura leash, some strong pigeons, a good collar with sturdy ring, some hot dogs, and an acme 640.

Get the dog some bird exposure. Get the dog tracking exposure. Easiest way is a hot dog drag to a hidden dog food bowl.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:17 pm

I usually just let pups run/hunt until they do begin to find and chase birds and probably until they start to point them too. Pups + birds work well together to produce good hunting dogs. I add the obedience stuff later. Basically, I don't train pups to stop until they have trained themselves to "go."

I train recall to voice and to whistle early in a pups life but not much else.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:49 am

Sounds like you have NO idea of how to proceed with this pup. You have made the classic new owner mistake of buying a pup without any idea of how to proceed training it. You need an organized program. Best thing to do is to join NAVHDA and get the green book and dvd. They are a great way to start and you'll develop a fine dog by following them.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

G-REX

Post by G-REX » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:43 am

Thanks for the help!

Makintrax73

Post by Makintrax73 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:23 am

The local NAVDHA chapter near me is very welcoming of new people, and have experienced trainers who provide free help at training days. Join NAVDHA, and look for a local chapter within a reasonable drive and GO. Don't cheap out on birds either unless you have large amounts of public land with birds you have no choice. No birds = no bird dog.