Pup intro to grouse

Molace71

Pup intro to grouse

Post by Molace71 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:40 pm

I have a 9 month old griffon. Looking for advice on whether to take him grouse hunting. I have not introduced him to grouse scents. He's not the birdiest of dogs yet. I have run quail on him and has not gotten really into it just yet. He had one great point and that's about it.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Pup intro to grouse

Post by Sharon » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:14 pm

Let him go! Absolutely a great opportunity for the pup.

(Welcome to the forum.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:21 am

Birds, birds, birds. Birds make bird dogs. Get him out for a run.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:48 am

I find it odd that he's not birdy, I'd work on that with clip wings letting him retrieve a pile of them. I think that people worry about the training when they should worry about the development of the dog. You have to look at each one individually, but generally I work them on birds, retrieving from land and water, not restricting their range, and subjecting them to all of the different covers they will be hunting. I don't worry at all about the fine stuff; heel, sit, down, here, whoa, until I see they have the boldness and interest. I can add all of the obedience and ff in and 8 week period. It's the mental development that is important to a young dog.
Here is a picture of a pup (just turned 7 months). She pointed her pheasant in SD a week or so ago at six months and got her first grouse at 7 months. Now, she's been going in the woods since 5 months and has probably busted 50 grouse and well over 100 pheasant, but she' learning; the birds are schooling her.

LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:49 am

Has he had good gun intro? If so yes get him in the bush.

Grant

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:14 pm

Yup, get him out there. Gonehuntin' has given great advice, but make sure he is ok with the gun, as advised.

Molace71

Post by Molace71 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:12 am

Thanks to all for replying. I live in an are that doesn't offer many wild birds. We do have a few grouse though. I'm in the process on getting up with a NAVHDA chapter near by, I hear great things on their training.

Molace71

Post by Molace71 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:15 am

He is fine with gun shots, he looks for falling birds. His searching skills are pretty rough to watch. But I guess that's the pup stage.

Meskousing

Post by Meskousing » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:49 am

My little fella loves all manner of game and training birds- pigeons, chukar, bunnies and deer (I'm trying to change this), doves, woodcock, pheasants, and grouse. I was able to steady him on pigeons prior to taking him grouse hunting. During the season I was able to steady him to woodcock, but we're struggling with grouse. He LOVES grouse. He loves to retrieve and especially flush them. Steadying him on grouse has been a struggle. You may find that your slightly birdy dog may be VERY birdy for grouse. What's not to love for a dog- smell, they're on the ground and in front of them, the sound, and the dogs are running around in the woods?

Good luck.

Molace71

Post by Molace71 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:37 pm

I'm having issues with my WPG pup. He's not bold in the field. He walks by my side at all times, does not jumps into the bushes to hunt or sniff around. He just follows me around either behind me or next to me. How long does this last or will he always be this way? I'm new to the breed, I know they say that griff's are thinkers, but mine gets freaked out by just about everything that is new to him. THanks!

Molace71

Post by Molace71 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:12 pm

How do you guys handle a timid pup? My 9 month old pup is spooked by everything.
I've read that griffons are spooked by things they are not familiar with. Mine will not jump into bushes
Or briars to hunt. He practically becomes my shadow. It's very frustrating! Any ideas? Thanks

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:54 pm

took my young setter out as often as i could she now knows what she looking for she has pointed woodcock and a few grouse but each bird is a learning exp. so take your dog when ever you can those grouse will teach her more than you ever will

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:08 pm

With a pup like that, I wouldn't worry about him ranging until he was bird crazy. Use clip wing quail on him, throw them short and let him retrieve them. Don't restrain him at all and don't yell. Just let him chase, catch and have fun. Do that and let us know what happens.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.