New Equipment!

Ayres
GDF Junkie

New Equipment!

Post by Ayres » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:25 am

Image Image

Here's my new SportDog 1200 e-collar and Better LCS manual bird launcher. The collar lists for $199 and comes with three videos when ordered from http://www.lcsupply.com . I haven't been able to watch the videos yet, because I don't currently have a VCR (only DVD). There's been some skepticism as to going with a newer (thus, unproven) brand of e-collar, but I did test this thing out on myself and I have no complaints about its function. (I have yet to use it on Justus because he hasn't had time to get used to it yet) It is also very durable and the sealed well for waterproofing.

The launcher is very durable and quite powerful. It shot an empty coke bottle about thirty feet in the air, so I think it will get the job done. It's a manual launcher that lists for about $43 (cheapest I could find) and I plan to turn it into a remote launcher. The parts I picked up to do so are shown below. I'm missing a couple parts, still, that I need to order online. I plan to do a photographic step-by-step tutorial when I get around to completing this project.

- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:25 am

The sportdog 1200 looks like a good collar for the money, and you can't complain about the lifetime warranty. :D

emae

Post by emae » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:11 am

I have the same collar and like it alot better than the innotek I had before. The great thing is that it can adapt to a 2-dog collar down the road and has I think 8 different modes of training. I just use the preset factory setting as I don't need anything else for now. Great collar for the price.

PA_Sportsman

SportDog

Post by PA_Sportsman » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:13 am

I have the SportDog 2400 and absolutely love it. I can't find one thing that I dislike with it and, as mentioned above, the lifetime warranty is awesome. I also bought the DSL-400 SportDog beeper. Very nice, only wish you could turn it on remotely. I ran Gracie in some grouse-type cover this past weekend and it really helped out.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:33 am

If anyone wants to come up with a detailed tutorial on the home-made launcher, I will put it in our resource page. It just need to have good documentation and pictures. If you sent it in a word doc, thats fine....

Grant

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:44 pm

A launcher that looks identical to that one is available under the "Scott's" brand at Dressler's for a much better price. I think mine were $32.

I'm not saying that Lion Country is just marketing Scott's and marking them up. But the two look identical to me in every way.

The only thing that I don't like about them is that the fabric of the "trampoline" part is very flimsy. Sometimes determined, launcher-wise homers get out before you get your dog there.

What fixes the problem is putting a strip about 4-5" wide of something much less flexible down the middle of the fabric.

Best regards,

PA_Sportsman

launcher

Post by PA_Sportsman » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:54 pm

Grant, If I build another one, I'll take some pics and document it better.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: New Equipment!

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:19 pm

Ayres wrote: I'm missing a couple parts, still, that I need to order online.
You don't need the relay. You can just wire directly to the low-voltage trigger. I posted a wiring diagram from the LVT manufacturer on uplandbirddog.com .

Best regards,

dhondtm

Post by dhondtm » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:00 pm

I skipped the relay in mine as well, I'll post pictures when I finish it. I went ahead and built the manual release first from scratch (parts laying around the house) and I am adding the remote now since I had some 2ways laying around that I hardly use.

The first problem I ran into - don't test your springs with an empty release. ;) Ripped my screen all up, oops

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:21 pm

dhondtm wrote:The first problem I ran into - don't test your springs with an empty release. ;)
My son ran into a similar problem...don't lean over the launcher while your little sister is on the transmitter....

Regards,

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:53 pm

Greg, I'm not quite sure what you mean about the material and birds being able to get out. If a bird were able to wiggle out of the cloth trampoline, it still would be caged by the releaser. Am I missing something to which you were referring? I looked at the Scott's version at Dresslers and noticed that the material on those look a little different, almost mesh-like. The LCS models are full cloth.

Also, if you order from Lion Country Supply (which makes their own launchers as well as a whole line of other products labeled with the "Better LCS" brand) and your order is over $250, you get $20 off by mentioning the code #LD20.
{ http://lcsupply.com/store/flashcart.cfm Originally expired 8/31/04, now extended until 4/1/05 as shown in their new catalogue }

Since I ordered my SportDog e-collar and my launcher at the same time (along with some EMT gel, a bell and a new leather collar), I saved $20. There's no tax since it's ordered across State lines over the internet, and when they throw in Free 2nd Day UPS shipping because I ordered an e-collar, the deal just couldn't get any better. :lol:
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:06 pm

grant wrote:If anyone wants to come up with a detailed tutorial on the home-made launcher, I will put it in our resource page. It just need to have good documentation and pictures. If you sent it in a word doc, thats fine....
I'll be happy to do this as I manufacture mine. This certainly isn't my design, though. I may make some tweaks but I'll be sure to include links to all my sources of information when building this.

That being said, Greg can you get me a link to the thread at uplandbirddog.com where you posted that wiring diagram? I've been searching but there seems to be multiple threads on the subject there.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:34 am

Ayres wrote:Greg, I'm not quite sure what you mean about the material and birds being able to get out. If a bird were able to wiggle out of the cloth trampoline, it still would be caged by the releaser. Am I missing something to which you were referring? I looked at the Scott's version at Dresslers and noticed that the material on those look a little different, almost mesh-like. The LCS models are full cloth.

Also, if you order from Lion Country Supply (which makes their own launchers as well as a whole line of other products labeled with the "Better LCS" brand) and your order is over $250, you get $20 off by mentioning the code #LD20.
{ http://lcsupply.com/store/flashcart.cfm Originally expired 8/31/04, now extended until 4/1/05 as shown in their new catalogue }

Since I ordered my SportDog e-collar and my launcher at the same time (along with some EMT gel, a bell and a new leather collar), I saved $20. There's no tax since it's ordered across State lines over the internet, and when they throw in Free 2nd Day UPS shipping because I ordered an e-collar, the deal just couldn't get any better. :lol:
Nah, they can get out if they get out of the cloth trampoline. Trust me. As my homers got smart, it happened a lot. I sewed in a piece of stiff plastic mesh into the center a'la the Dogtra launchers and it cured the problem.

I have both the Lion Country and the Scott's. They're identical. Just like Lion Country sells Innotek e-collars under their "Best Brand".

Dressler's has similar policies to Lion Country. I shop both. I ordered my e-collar through Lion Country.

Best regards,

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:43 pm

What does the plastic mesh do, keep the cloth wrapped tighter around the top of the bird?

/_\

Kind of like that, instead of this: U ?
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:19 pm

The birds escape by scruching up the fabric till they can get outside it either on the front or the back, then they get out between the side of the "cage" and frame of the "trampoline" that is, when cocked, down the middle of the cage.

The mesh is pretty firm and keeps the bird from scrunching up the fabric. I buy it at Hobby Lobby, Michael's A.C. Moore, etc. I.e., craft stores. I cut it to size then sew it in on the corners of the mesh, one place between the corners on the short side and two on the long side.

Best regards,

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:02 pm

Here's my parts list so far for the auto-launcher:

RadioShack Project box, tax not included - $4.99
(270-1806)

RadioShack Connector Repair Kit, tax not included - $2.99
(230-0445)

Actuator(s), shipping included:
eBay
1. $8.08
x 2. $13.56
x 3. $19.04
x 4. $24.52

PartsExpress.com (FAST shipping, got mine next day!)
1. $9.98
x 2. $14.00
x 3. $17.85
x 4. $20.48

PIE 1VT Low-voltage Trigger
http://www.discountcarstereo.com - $18.98 + 8.40 shipping & handling

9.6v RC Battery Pack - $0 (had one around the house)
Found at http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?P ... &ProdID=21 for $4.99 (s+h not included)

Two Way Radios - Motorola T4900 Weather-Resistant - $24.99 @ BestBuy on sale.

From what I can tell, the only thing left that I need is a plug for the radios (not including some spare wire and tools to get this thing together). I think what I need is the 3/32 mini plug from RadioShack, (274-0244), for $2.99.

From what I can gather, I could make this configuration of boxes (launchers not included):
Radios Not Included
1- 51.42 | 2- 45.42 ea. | 3- 43.69 ea. | 4- 42.16 ea.

Radios Included
1- 76.41 | 2- 70.41 ea. | 3- 60.35 ea. | 4- 60.91 ea.

Note that adding the radios, they come in a 2-pack so when you make two or four launchers, you will have one extra radio that is not used on the box or as a transmitter (waste of cash). These price estimates don't include any applicable taxes, and don't include shipping for the battery (I never had to order one, so I don't know their shipping rates.) All these prices are general estimates and you can always shop around for better configurations.

Thanks in part to Greg's post on uplandbirddogs.com for finding the best prices on actuators when ordered in bulk, and for the best price on the 9.6v battery pack. I had already found the prices on everything else before stumbling onto that thread.

Also remember that you can cut down the price anywhere where you already have some part or another (a lot of people already have a set of two-ways, a battery pack, etc.)
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:32 pm

Cool,

Are you going to get good pictures??? :D :D :D

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:52 pm

Waiting on the low-volt trigger to come in. It was shipped today. If discountcarstereo.com ships as fast as partsexpress.com, I'll have it tomorrow!

I couldn't even start on the project today, I spent the morning putting a new alternator in my beater car. (I wasn't about to pay the ripoff prices the mechanics charge here in a college town.) Hopefully that will make it last another year and a half until I graduate.

Good pictures are the plan. If they come out burry, I'll immediately delete them and take another. I think it would probably be best to set my camera for 600x400 resolution instead of the current 2180xsomething. That way when I scale down the images to web-size they don't get blurry.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:19 am

If you need me to, I can scale down the images in photoshop. That way, they won't get blurry....

Just let me know =)

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:44 am

I've got all the stuff in and am setting it up to make sure it works before I actually put it together (twisting wires to make connections, not mounting anything, etc.)

I can't get the trigger to work at all.

I picked up an adapter at RadioShack (210-1896) that converts a standard 2.5mm headset plug to a Motorola-style 2-way radio plug. It's a bit longer than a regular 3/32 stereo plug and fits more snugly into the accessory jack of my Motorola T4900 radios.

I cut off the end of this adapter and I found three wires inside: Red, White, and unshielded copper. I stripped each and connected my green trigger wire to each wire, and all combinations of the three wires. I can't get this thing to fire using the trigger! (The actuator works fine when connected directly to the battery, and the battery is charged).

Any suggestions? Is my trigger bad?
Last edited by Ayres on Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:28 am

The trigger won't do its thing on the actuator side if it doesn't receive 1.5 volts on the trigger (from the radio speaker) side.

Do you have a multi-meter? You can use it to show if you have voltage on from the speaker plug when the transmit key is pressed on the other radio. You can also use it to see if you are getting voltage from the LVT output side.

You can get an inexpensive one from Radio Shack, Home Depot, etc.

Best,

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:33 am

Do I read that right that you only have 1 of the 3 wires from the plug in the radio hooked up?

That would be a problem.

Best,

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:30 pm

Make sure you have both positive and common from the plug hooked up correctly. You have to have a complete circuit....

http://peripheralelectronics.com/periph ... ns/lvt.pdf

Regards,

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:57 pm

Right, when I cut the plug cord there was a white wire, a red wire and some copper unshielded wire.

When I touched the white and copper wire, the mic on the radio went on (broadcasting as if pushing the PTT button). I would assume, then, that the red and copper wires together would be the earphones.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:24 pm

Another problem you might be having is using the wrong "plug".

You need to get a cheap multi-meter, set it on voltage at the appropriate scale, and verify that you're seeing voltage across two of the wires when you trigger the "push to talk" on the other radio.

You'll check pairings with the ground on one and the positive on other.

In one pairing, you'll see no voltage. In another, you'll see a constant voltage even when the "PTT" on the other radio isn't pressed. On the third, you should see 1.5 volts only when the PTT is pressed.

Regards,

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:27 pm

Ayres wrote:<snip> I would assume, then, that the red and copper wires together would be the earphones.
Sounds right. But you don't know if you've got that part of the deal right till you see voltage between them when the PTT is pressed on the walkie-talkie that's acting as the transmitter.

Regards,

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:21 pm

I finally got it to work. What I needed to do was connect the green trigger wire to the red earphone wire, and connect the 1vt black ground wire to the plain copper wire of the plug (not to the battery ground).

I don't know why that works when nothing else would, but it sure works. I found this out when I hooked the green and black wires (from the trigger) to a AA battery and it worked.

So I've almost got the whole thing done now, taking pics all along the way. It looks really good. I had some trouble mounting the trigger inside the box (so it wouldn't move around) but I got that done and have taken pictures of how I did it.

As soon as I mount it to my launcher and test it (maybe this evening) I'll put together a step-by-step tutorial of how I did everything.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:25 am

Ok, it's all done. Grant, check your email for the file. I just made it into an Adobe .pdf file for easy printing/viewing and small file size.

I ended up having to use the relay to get enough power to trip my manual launcher. I included in the plans a variation to include or disinclude the relay.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:07 am

Nice,

I'll check it in a bit! I just got back in town :D

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:14 am

Got it! That Rocks!!!

grant