Open invitation

marc

Open invitation

Post by marc » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:55 pm

I'll throw it out there for anyone in upstate NY or Vermont who may need a place to train their pup now and then. I know it's difficult to find some space to train - or just burn the gunk out of your dog. Our home is a nice piece of rural farm land at the end of a dead end road, with fields and nicely logged woods choked with young growth and cover. It's licensed as a shooting preserve. I have a Johnny house and keep quail most of the time. Bring your own, or use mine and just replace the ones who meet their demise. PM me if you'd find benefit in coming over to work with your dog in relative solitude. Or, I'm willing to lend a hand with your pup, and I could always use a hand training and socializing Mauser. There is also a good population of grouse on the property, You could run the snot out of your pup for miles and hours. The only caveat is that the grouse are for wild bird training only, says Mauser. He thinks I miss them on purpose! :mrgreen:
Have a laugh: https://youtu.be/CALhox5tf60

bonasa

Re: Open invitation

Post by bonasa » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:34 pm

Do your videos have no sound? Maybe my device is squirrely?

marc

Post by marc » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:02 pm

Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't. I have a newer laptop, and haven't downloaded the controller app. I have to do that. It probably needs a update.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:26 pm

What a super opportunity, if I lied up there I'd grab it in a heart beat. Only thing I would want to do different is start your dog on homer's till it will hold well then switch over to the game birds. But I'd still grab at that in the bat of an eye!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:50 pm

What a great opportunity!
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:00 pm

Dang! We ran out of maple syrup and drove up there to get more just last week. Maybe we can manage to run out later next year :lol:

What a cool and generous offer! Very kind of you.

Flashorthair

Post by Flashorthair » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:39 pm

Man that is a golden opportunity! It's hard here in Florida to even lease a piece for training because down here, deer hunting is most people's top priority. Thank you for offering up such a favor,even though i am to far to take advantage...

marc

Post by marc » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:50 pm

My neighbor and I make maple syrup too! 8)

PartsGuy

Post by PartsGuy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:51 am

marc wrote:My neighbor and I make maple syrup too! 8)
do you still allow training ? I have two young shorthairs looking to run...

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:34 am

I just watched the video again and two thing's I noticed. First is your hat. At first I wasn't sure what that was then it dawned on me it was your hat. Dog came out from under the brim a couple times! Next, and this is sinful. You are running a pointing dog in really nice cover and your not shooting a SxS! have you no honor? :mrgreen:
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

DeLo727

Post by DeLo727 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:18 pm

I'm always game for that! Can return the favor as well.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:22 am

OMG.....!! Did you say you live in heaven? What a stunning piece of property. I wish I was a bit closer to you Sir. I would LOVE to share in an experience that both my dogs and I would salivate over.
What a kind offer!
We have a lot in common. I consider myself a hard core "conservationist". :wink: If I didn't, I'd have to admit to my poor shooting skills!

marc

Post by marc » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:01 pm

PartsGuy wrote:
marc wrote:My neighbor and I make maple syrup too! 8)
do you still allow training ? I have two young shorthairs looking to run...
Sorry I was gone for so long! Yes, training is fun. I'm more than happy to have it. I hope I'm not to late!

marc

Post by marc » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:03 pm

Featherfinder wrote:OMG.....!! Did you say you live in heaven? What a stunning piece of property. I wish I was a bit closer to you Sir. I would LOVE to share in an experience that both my dogs and I would salivate over.
What a kind offer!
We have a lot in common. I consider myself a hard core "conservationist". :wink: If I didn't, I'd have to admit to my poor shooting skills!
Thank you very much! I have to say that I've noticed an uptick in the grouse population, probably due to MY shooting skills!

marc

Post by marc » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:18 pm

DonF wrote:I just watched the video again and two thing's I noticed. First is your hat. At first I wasn't sure what that was then it dawned on me it was your hat. Dog came out from under the brim a couple times! Next, and this is sinful. You are running a pointing dog in really nice cover and your not shooting a SxS! have you no honor? :mrgreen:
Ha Ha! The fine gentleman neighbor who introduced me to GSP's and bird hunting as a youngster also obtained the M37 16 ga for me on my 13th birthday. 45 years later it hold significant sentimental value. No one in my family hunted, and I owe my passion and skills to the "Late Great Ted Wood", as he called himself. My father was former military and a tremendous shot with his 10/20 vision, and encouraged my shooting sports endeavors.

I did pick up a Bernadelli SxS 20ga, and recently have been using that more than the 16ga. It's a quick little gun. Yesterday I went to the preserve and mopped up the pheasant with the 16. Mauser was a like the terminator - relentless on the running birds.