Chukar Fail

marc

Chukar Fail

Post by marc » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:29 pm

I switched from quail to chukar for Mauser's continued training. It hasn't been going well. They're not running or flushing (well...one did), but instead hiding in place, apparently preparing to die. With a 13-month old pup, this is not good. In fact, it's setting him back. Here's a short video of Mauser's first point on a chukar from the other day. Mauser is locked up, and I've been stomping around for a bit trying to flush the bird. Then, I spot its head in the leaves. The video starts there. (I gave him 3 beeps on his collar for a recall when he ran out of sight). It's kind of funny, but as far as training value, it sucks. Tonight he caught 3 of 4. He used to be reliably steady to wing, and in 3 days, he's busting after them because he's successful at catching them. https://youtu.be/fVNTLhdawE4

marc

Re: Chukar Fail

Post by marc » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:43 pm

As a comparison, here's Mauser pointing, and steady to wing, on a wild grouse last month on my land. https://youtu.be/grBXV_X1FPg

randomnut

Post by randomnut » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:03 pm

Are you buying flight conditioned birds. I've never had my dogs catch a chukar. At times when the birds have moved to tight cover, I send the dogs in to flush, and even my hard charging Drahts have never come close to catching one.

marc

Post by marc » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:07 pm

Yes, and I fly them out of the pen. They explode and fly several hundred yards in every direction. Then they apparently write a suicide note and bury themselves.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:46 pm

If you fly them out of their pen, then go hunt them down, they will not fly. Their energy is zapped for about 1/2 hr. They usually will run though. I do not know how one would train a dog without bird launchers. I launch chuckar so they always fly. Also if dog gets to close you can launch the bird. The dog will learn to stay back from the bird.

marc

Post by marc » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:04 pm

Thanks. Like the quail, I fly them out and let them meander around for a while, to simulate natural bird activity. Sometimes for over an hour. I've been using a launcher and Higgins release with Mauser for months. He's pretty staunch for a pup.

randomnut

Post by randomnut » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 pm

I'm surprised. The only bird I'll plant is a chukar, cause I know the dogs can't catch. Maybe my bird guy just does a better job than most.

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:43 am

I am not sure what program you are following. Either way I would go back to launchers/releasers and a checkcord with an e-collar , should the dog be collar conditioned. Go back to upwind stop to flushes and end on a good note. Proceed to standing and you kicking around upwind and flushing a bird, leave on a good note. Then add the shot and leave on a good note, then add the kill. Resume bringing the dog in crosswind to the bird and launch it on first scent, make the dog stand and watch it fly off, end there and heel the dog out. Then add the shot, then add the kill. Should the dog faulter you must take a step back in training, it may take 5-10 times to proceed each step over several weeks or months. When you do proceed with liberated jonnyhouse birds, run the dog with a checkcord/collar and be ready to make a correction.

I would quit hunting the dog now and break the dog before the snows come and you can't train or just hunt grouse until the spring when you have more time to do so and maturity on the dog.

marc

Post by marc » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:14 am

Thanks. Mauser is e-collar conditioned, buthe's still a pup, and I am not inclined to put too much pressure on him yet. I ended the two sessons with a flush/kill/retrieve. I'll take him out up the hill for some grouse lessons Saturday after I pop some chukar from the launcher. Wild Grouse have a unique way of teaching dogs the correct approach to bird hunting. It won't take long to get him back into form. But I'll be getting the quail next week!