Weak flying birds

Dlmino21

Weak flying birds

Post by Dlmino21 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:16 pm

I recently bought some quail to continue training my English Setter pup. Im having a hard time finding pigeons in my area. I got them home and they are very weak flyers. They wont flush and will only fly about 30 or 40 feet before they fall to the ground. Is there anything i can do with these guys for training or did i just buy myself a nice meal?

SwitchGrassWPG

Re: Weak flying birds

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:21 pm

Typically, most pen raised quail aren't good flyers. Even worse when you purchase quail other than bobwhites. Want good flying training birds, try some chukar.
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:15 pm

I am just a few miles from you and I pigeons available most of the summer. I've sold well over 150 this year.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:43 pm

Good tip. Get those pigeons , but remember you can't keep them in a crate for a week and expect them to fly.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Dlmino21

Post by Dlmino21 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:58 pm

I appreciate the responses, and I am working on finding some hard flying pigeons. But in the meantime is there anything I can work on with the weak flying quail?

GSPONPOINT32

Weak flying birds

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:52 am

You could work on dinner...sorry too easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCT

Post by SCT » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:53 am

ezzy333 wrote:I am just a few miles from you and I pigeons available most of the summer. I've sold well over 150 this year.
Sounds like you have found some good flying pigeons, contact ezzy!

randomnut

Post by randomnut » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:16 am

Those quail aren't ever gonna fly real good. Turn em loose, if they live very long they'll start flying better. Doubt they'll live more than a day or two.

Your just asking for trouble trying to use birds that can't fly well, unless your dog is well broke.

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:56 am

Contact Ezzy and get some pigeons from him. If you want the quail to fly you have to give them room to fly. Put them in a large enough pen where they can fly. Then after a few days of them acclimating to being in that pen lift there food up about six inches and put it on a platform. This way they have to start jumping up to get to it. Make the platform big enough for them to get on and the feeder to be on. After they get use to the feeder being off the ground and they know where it is lift it another couple of inches. This way they have to start using their wings to get up and down. They will get stronger after about two weeks lift it a little higher. They will eventually fly better. Will they ever fly as good as the pigeons no but they will get strong enough to use with a couple of launchers.
If you don't want to put the time in put them on the dinner plate and get pigeons. Hope this helps.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:58 am

GSPONPOINT32 wrote:You could work on dinner...sorry too easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LOL Too funny!
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:09 am

Build a call back pen. I'm told it works wonders for getting harder flying birds but I have no personal experience.

http://www.bobwhitequail.com/bobwhitequail1_003.htm