Introduction to the bell?

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Introduction to the bell?

Post by Ayres » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:44 am

Since I find the beeper collars kind of annoying (they hurt my ears), I picked up a bell for Justus. I ended up getting one of the small Swiss-style bells made by Lion Country Supply.

I, also, watched the promo version of Bird Hunters Quarterly ( http://www.birddogsforever.com ), and there's a few dogs on that video that use bells instead of beepers. The clank of the bell just seems more natural.

So, anyway, Justus wanted to play with the bell when I first got it. When I rigged it up to a snap-swivel and put it on his collar, though, he instantly became afraid of it.

Now he tolerates it, but he is an EXTREMELY close-ranging dog on our walks when he's wearing the bell. He won't go more than fifteen yards away before stopping and waiting on me. Without the bell on, he'll go about 75 yards through the weeds up the path before he even realizes that I'm way behind him.

So, has anyone had this experience with their dogs? If so, is there any accepted method to introduce your dog to the bell (as opposed to the gun)?
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

raven

Post by raven » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:18 am

MY DOG HATED THE BEEPER SO WHEN EVER WE GO OUT FOR OUR WALKS OR TRAINING HE WEARS HIS BELL. HE ACTULLY BEEN WARING HIS BELL FULL TIME SINCE THE BEGINING OG THE MONTH TO HELP PREPAIR FOR NEXT WEEK (GROUSE SEASON STARTS) HE HASN'T HAD ANY PROBLEM WITH THE BELL.

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:00 am

Scout worried it a lot when we first started but now knows it means birds and can't wait to get it on.
Colin

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:21 am

Introduce him to it in stages. First, silence the bell and let him get used to the weight. Let him get back to his former self and run him silent for quite some time. Then gradually bring the sound of the bell in. Layers of tape might work.

Best,

PA_Sportsman

bell

Post by PA_Sportsman » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:01 pm

I have the swiss style as well. I'll use it cover where I can see my dog once she stops moving. I like the beeper for the simple fact that it will only sound when Gracie goes on point. The SportDog DSL-400 has 3 different modes...point only, run and point 1 and 2.

ourhunters

Post by ourhunters » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:51 pm

I'm not familiar with the beeper collar. Doesn't the dog get scared of a beep that you should be able to hear from far away to find the dog? Isn't that what it's for?

Just wondering.

dhondtm

Post by dhondtm » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:11 am

The video Steven is referring to from http://www.birddogsforever.com has a variety of guides that use all kinds of different methods. It's a subscription video and well worth the money if you ask most of us.

They had a few different beeper collars on the DVD demonstrated in a couple of different guide hunts he went on. The one that I thought was particularly interesting was one that sounded like a hawk everytime the dog was at point. The guide explained he thought it confused the game birds. Although, yes most were used to help locate the dog all the beeper collars also immediatley let you know when your dog was at point even when you didn't have a visual of your dog. With a bell it is kind of the opposite effect when the bell stops your dog is probably at point.

Personally, I don't think I am going to use one but here in Arizona the desert hunt is more of an open field. You almost always have a visual on your dog. We don't have a lot of that thick brush, just the cacti you have to worry about.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:50 am

ourhunters wrote:I'm not familiar with the beeper collar. Doesn't the dog get scared of a beep that you should be able to hear from far away to find the dog? Isn't that what it's for?
I've not used a beeper myself, but I've hunted with people that do. You acclimate a dog to the beeper just like anything else. A little at a time.

The fellow that I hunted with wrapped the beeper in a towel to muffle it and put it beside the dog's kennel. His dog didn't pay any attention to it at all.

Best regards,