Whoa Training

Tmechelberry

Whoa Training

Post by Tmechelberry » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:45 pm

This is just a random question that I just want to see some feedback of different opinions. What are some of the whoa training methods everyone uses and at what age do you start? Personally I like to start at 10 months to a year with the whoa post and flank rope method but I just want to hear what other people do.

marc

Re: Whoa Training

Post by marc » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:25 pm

I used the Higgins "Magic Brushpile" method with my "magic" hay bales instead with Mauser, and it worked wonderfully. After 3 or so birds, Mauser got it. That was before he was 6 months old. I had to tune him up after a birdless summer and his "puppiness", but he's solid again now. Grouse hunting has been stealthy and successful. To me, the "whoa" command is great for getting the ticks off him after the hunt, but while we're hunting the birds tell him what to do. I've previously done obedience-based "whoa" training with my other dogs, but it proved to be not an asset in the field.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vDfeE1405c

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:06 pm

" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Timnichols

Post by Timnichols » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:02 pm

At about 9 months whoa post for me.

donne

Post by donne » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:38 am

Whoa post, then transitioning to the flank collar. That's the way I was trained. :lol: Some folks have good success with the barrel.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:03 am

I do heel whoa drills after the manner of Paul Long, in the yard, using a Smith Wonder lead(I actually use a pigging string). I start when the pup is about 4 mos. old.

I progress to stopping and standing, and eventually to dropping the lead and walking out front, simulating a flush and throwing things, etc.

When the dog is very reliable in the yard, I progress to the field.

RayG

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:44 am

EXACTLY like Ray. Everyone makes too big a deal of training WHOA. It's all in the foundation.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:07 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:EXACTLY like Ray. Everyone makes too big a deal of training WHOA. It's all in the foundation.
EXACTLY like Ray and GH. And X2 on making too big a deal of training whoa, in general. I don't have much use for a whoa command so I don't really bother with it at all anymore. But back in the day when I thought I needed it, the Paul Long method worked great.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:19 pm

I didn't want to say so earlier , so as not to sound like a dweeb, maybe I've just been lucky , but except for one dumb stone , my dogs were steady very early on with not much ,if any, whoa training from me. I used the "whoa " command in the house , which meant "Stand still until otherwise instructed".

about 16 weeks old

" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:45 pm

Interestingly enough, Gibbons and trainers using the West method don't use the whoa command. I used the Smith whoa post method for years but have recently been using Ray's method with just a regular 1" leather collar, no pinch no pigging string.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:32 pm

Whoa training doesn't have anything to do with birds. It means, stop and stand still, nothing more. I have always used to whoa post but never used the flank rope or the flank collar. But when the dog is doing it well, I pull the whoa post and drive short stakes into the ground. Then check cord around a bit and work on setting the dog up to snag a stake with the check cord. Hook the stake and flip the cord right off and if the dog move's bump him, wither e-collar or the snap knot. Once I'm good there, I like to add a distraction, a bird does nicely. Call the dog in and whoa him. Let him stand a moment and let a bird go. I do not shake the bird around with my hand to tempt him, simply let it go. First two or three time' he's gonna break. Keep the mouth shut and start nicing until he stop's. I never return the dog to the spot it left, once the dog is stopped and standing still, exercise is over, move along. I do this moving the release of the bird and the command closer until I finally eliminate the voice command, time to move on.Then I do the same thing but start over with a dead bird. Same routine until the sight of the bird falling stops the dog. Move on. Time for the flight feather pulled hobbled bird. Same as the other two but be sure to drop the bird behind you. Your dog will break, it's a giver when the bird flutter's and start's hobbleing around the ground. You are between the dog and the bird at that time. Once he's stopped by the sight of the bird going down, start tossing it off to the side a bit.

The fly away bird come's first then the dead bird. Be easier to control the situation of a bird hitting the ground later if you get him stopping and the bird in the first place. Hobbled bird goes last. This is gonna be a super temptation for the dog. And keep in mind all your really doing is working on the whoa command with the ultimate distraction.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!