Training Books or Videos

AceofSpades41

Training Books or Videos

Post by AceofSpades41 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:09 am

Hi Folks,

I will be getting a male GSP in May and my son/daughter have already name him "Vladamier", "Vlad" for short is what we'll use in the field.

What I'm looking for is a book or video that gives a good overview on training starting from the Basics as a puppy to the graduate version of an adult gun dog.

I've had a couple of suggestions with regards to books which include the Paul Long Book and The best way to train your gun dog.

What I'm trying to get is a good base using one method as a reference but morphing that into something I can use. I've read a lot of opinions on the subject from this board and FCShortHairs had a wonderful overview that he drew on from past experience and something I've logged away in my training manual.

I know everyone has varying opinions and they are welcome as long as we can constructively share ideas.

Thanks in advance
Ace

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:41 am

Paul long is ok, but I like Delmar Smith's better. I really think there isn't a better book out there than the NAVHDA green book. For videos look to Dobbs, Perfection Kennels, or Hickock. Just pick one plan and follow it; don't get confused. Perfection's are more about the field training. The others are a more complete program.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Will

Post by Will » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:50 am

Ace,

I'm in the same boat as you. My pup is "bakin in the oven" right now and won't be coming home for a few months. I've been reading all of the training posts and learning from the wealth of knowledge here.

I also just ordered "How to Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves" by Joan Bailey. It appears to be very informative starting from the day you bring your puppy home. I guess there is a "checklist" in the back of the book that can be used as a loose guideline as to your pups developement, such as "pup should be doing this by this age". I'll take that for what its worth as every dog is different, but for a first time trainer like myself, its nice to have something kind of go by.

With that said, I'm sure there are lots of other great books and videos, and I'll be making more purchases, as well as reading and asking questions here. I think this forum is one of the best resources we have. Lots of opinions due to lots of different situations, which is a good thing. I think one can find alot of things in common with most of these opinions here.

I'm thinking the NAVHDA green book may be my next purchase.

Let me know what you go with and what you think of it.

Will

AceofSpades41

NAVHDA green book

Post by AceofSpades41 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:39 am

GoneHuntin,

Is this an actual book I can purchase, if so can you provide a link.

Thanks
Ace

AceofSpades41

NAVHDA greenbook

Post by AceofSpades41 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:31 am

Guys,

Disregard my last post, I found the book and order info on the NAVDHA web site. If it'd been a snake .... LOL....

Here's the link, they also offer a membership premium package which looks like a good deal.

http://www.navhdastore.org/index.asp?Pa ... D&ProdID=2

Currently trying to contact the head of the Virginia branch which ironically lives in NC.

Ace

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:21 am

Perfect Start by Perfection Kennels. Then, you can finish the dog with Perfect Finish. I highly recommend.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

LSKGSPs

Post by LSKGSPs » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:07 pm

HUGE DITTOS......for "Perfection" videos.

Thor

Post by Thor » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:50 pm

Another great book is "POINT- Training the All Seasons Gundog" by James Spencer. It's a good step by step book. The Delmar Smith Method is a good read as well.

hoffmann35

Post by hoffmann35 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:24 pm

I haven't seen the "Perfection" series yet, but one I can comment on is the Hickox series. The training methodology is simple and is really working for me and the pup. He has great ideas for bird intro and collar conditioning. I only made it half way through "The Best Way to Train your Gun Dog" the Delmar Smith method. I found it hard to read for me. The concept I got out of it is great so far though. Either way you go, I'm sure that if you stick to the method, it will work for you.

AceofSpades41

Post by AceofSpades41 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:52 pm

Just received, Best Way to Train Your Gun Dog: The Delmar Smith Method also picked up Bird dog the Instinctive training method by Ben O. Williams. Both books should prove interesting reading.

Ace

NVgsp

Post by NVgsp » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:40 pm

Ace-
I would recommend that FC post on the PDJ website. It is very simple to follow, and you already have a resourse that will pretty much answer any of your questions. I have a buddy that I sent to that link and he is having nothing but fun following it and watching his little gsp improve everytime out. JMIO
Chris

volraider

Post by volraider » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:39 pm

I would get a copy of the Bill West/Bill Gibbons seminar. It's on DVD and it's about 6 hours long. Very good dvd for beginners.