10 week lab pup walking beside or behind...

Gonefishin

10 week lab pup walking beside or behind...

Post by Gonefishin » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:17 pm

So my new 10 week old pup seems to just want to walk beside me or behind me when I take him for walks in the field. Seems pretty disinterested in exploring. Should I be worried. And advice?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: 10 week lab pup walking beside or behind...

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:06 am

Pretty much normal for a pup that age on it's first few trips to a new place. Just keep walking and being quiet and watch the change on each trip. Observe and don't worry .
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:32 am

Yup, nothing to worry about.

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:26 am

I experienced much the same until I shut up, @ 13 weeks it still takes a few minutes for my pup to get going.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:44 am

Sounds like he likes you and feels safe with you.

When my (fiance at the time) wife and I picked up our springer, we had a long drive home and stopped to let her out at a few small town parks. In one of them we let her follow us, but she got distracted and end up 30 feet behind us. She got scared, froze, and just whined. So I walked all thirty feet, picked her up, and everything was good. Now she's a pretty awesome bird dog who has flushed and/or retrieved pheasants, ruffed grouse, woodcock, ducks, and geese. Point is he's a puppy so relax some.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:55 pm

There is nothing wrong with having a dog that likes to stay close to your company. The pup will start to range out further after he learns you won't disappear.

It's more fun to have a gundog who checks to see where you are than to try to hunt with a dog who takes off and could care less about your location. That taking off without you can be a real pain because those are the dogs who get themselves lost.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:52 pm

oregon woodsmoke wrote:There is nothing wrong with having a dog that likes to stay close to your company. The pup will start to range out further after he learns you won't disappear.

It's more fun to have a gundog who checks to see where you are than to try to hunt with a dog who takes off and could care less about your location. That taking off without you can be a real pain because those are the dogs who get themselves lost.
Dogs seldom get lost though there are times when we don't know where they are. After spending over 50 years with pointers that range I am yet to lose one Same with people who run hounds that may get several miles away from you but usually come back to where they started,

Puppies will take a while to start ranging for reasons we have already discussed and often it is the slower pup that turns out to be the big runner. Depends a whole lot on how you train as to how far they range.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:33 pm

Gonefishin

I see you have a lab - checked your profile :) I'm not a retriever person , but that behaviour you are describing sounds perfectly normal to me. He's only 10 weeks; 2 weeks ago he was with his Mom probably. Say little and don't call him back.

oregon woodsmoke:
I inclined to believe you haven't trained a setter or pointing breed. :) One wants them to be AWAY out there where the birds are. That doesn't mean they are out of your control or going to get lost. Just means they are doing what they are bred to do.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

twistedoak

Post by twistedoak » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:18 am

the pup is acting normally for its age
and also keep the idea of "range" in proper context
depending where you live what you hunt and where your hunting ...
ranging way out there can be 30yrds or be 300

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:27 am

I am a retriever person and you pup is showing good progress. He associates you as pack leader, so he is cueing off of you....shows he is alert and normal in pack behavior. Having him in the field is a good thing as long as you do not expose him to gun shot or cold water for a time, he is to young and will make training difficult if you start this to early.

I recommend to great training DVD's you can order on line.

Training a Retriever Puppy with Bill Hillman
Sound Beginnings, Retriever Training with Jackie Mertens

Get these and you will be well on your way to having a great retriever

Good Luck