Springer Introduction to pigeon

Takem

Springer Introduction to pigeon

Post by Takem » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:11 am

Introduced my English springer spaniel to a dead pigeon. He grabbed it and ran right to me. Made sure he would come my way. He held that bird tight for at least 5 minutes. My training book says to let him hold it a while and praise. How long should I let him hold it until I pry it loose?

mnaj_springer

Re: Springer Introduction to pigeon

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:16 pm

Until he gets bored of holding it. Or begins trying to chew it. IMO.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Takem

Post by Takem » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:18 pm

Thanks. Did it again today. He really loves pigeon.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:58 am

I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:13 am

Great, now get him some live birds. If he's a young pup, start out with it in a cage so it doesn't scratch him or frighten him.

I have a vid from when I did this with my young setter. He went ballistic and I knew I had a bird dog!

Takem

Post by Takem » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:14 am

NEhomer wrote:Great, now get him some live birds. If he's a young pup, start out with it in a cage so it doesn't scratch him or frighten him.

I have a vid from when I did this with my young setter. He went ballistic and I knew I had a bird dog!
I did. He circled the cage with his tail going. I took one out to let him sniff it and he grabbed it. He's very birdy for 12 weeks old.

IsThisHeaven?

Post by IsThisHeaven? » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:49 am

Sounds like a real nice pup you have there. Where did you get him? Photos?

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:16 pm

A different approach taken here.
Whilst introducing a pup to feather or fur in the early stages (we do it around 6 -9 weeks old) is encouraged but it is not continued.
The video posted by Gundogguy' shows a 'placeboard' method to shape a behaviour of re-call to a known safe place with a hold at a level less threatening or imposing on the dog to give rather than 'have taken from' . (we use the back of the truck ,but that's just because we don't build benches) .

The process using bumpers/dummies allows us to repeat this behaviour rather than a constant supply of game ,which can become 'mouthy' after a few deliveries.
Once the 'shaped behaviour' is established and the 'fun' of bringing it back and 'giving so the dog can do it again' is established ,it doesn't matter what is in it's mouth it will hold and hold on to until it is commanded to release willingly.

If something has to be prised from a dog then a Tug of war has developed. The current owner is calling the shots

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:08 pm

polmaise wrote:A different approach taken here.
Whilst introducing a pup to feather or fur in the early stages (we do it around 6 -9 weeks old) is encouraged but it is not continued.
The video posted by Gundogguy' shows a 'placeboard' method to shape a behaviour of re-call to a known safe place with a hold at a level less threatening or imposing on the dog to give rather than 'have taken from' . (we use the back of the truck ,but that's just because we don't build benches) .

The process using bumpers/dummies allows us to repeat this behaviour rather than a constant supply of game ,which can become 'mouthy' after a few deliveries.
Once the 'shaped behaviour' is established and the 'fun' of bringing it back and 'giving so the dog can do it again' is established ,it doesn't matter what is in it's mouth it will hold and hold on to until it is commanded to release willingly.

If something has to be prised from a dog then a Tug of war has developed. The current owner is calling the shots
Excellent Robert, Though the bench fulfills many other uses for me. The "safe place" concept can be established with just about any thing that distinguishes it self from the sorrounding area that one is working in. A door mat, small piece of carpet, piece of ply wood. I build benches and use them for lots of things. When we travel to train I use a door mat, if it is called for.
How ever your comments concerning the pupsters development are right on

Takem

Post by Takem » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:58 pm

IsThisHeaven? wrote:Sounds like a real nice pup you have there. Where did you get him? Photos?
Got him from Jim Karlovec at flushing star gun dogs in Ohio.

welsh

Post by welsh » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:14 pm

Cute pup!

I'm curious, because you referred to a book, what book are you working from?

My take (which is by no means dogma) is that 12 weeks is too early for birds, live or dead. Simple reason being this is an age when they still like to chew everything they get their mouths on, which leads to me needing to take the bird away, which leads to a disagreement over who owns the bird, which leads to a sulky puppy who doesn't want to bring any more birds to the big mean jerk who takes them away. Dummies only for now until I've shaped the return I want. Lots of other things to accomplish in the meantime. But I am sure there are as many approaches to this as there are trainers.

My own new Springer pup turned 12 weeks today. Incidentally, I do use a placeboard and find it's a fantastic training aid.

Takem

Post by Takem » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:32 pm

Read a few but the one I'm following is "Hup! training flushing spaniels the American way". It's very easy to follow and answers most of my questions. If you have another recommendation I'd love to hear it. I trained my lab using Evan Graham's smart works book and videos.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:27 pm

Takem wrote:Read a few but the one I'm following is "Hup! training flushing spaniels the American way". It's very easy to follow and answers most of my questions. If you have another recommendation I'd love to hear it. I trained my lab using Evan Graham's smart works book and videos.
Looks like you have everything covered !
Should be a breeze from now on in.

Takem

Post by Takem » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:47 pm

polmaise wrote:
Takem wrote:Read a few but the one I'm following is "Hup! training flushing spaniels the American way". It's very easy to follow and answers most of my questions. If you have another recommendation I'd love to hear it. I trained my lab using Evan Graham's smart works book and videos.
Looks like you have everything covered !
Should be a breeze from now on in.
Not sure if you're being sincere or sarcastic

welsh

Post by welsh » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:50 pm

That book is the best I've found in terms of laying out a program to follow.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:09 pm

"Hup" is a good training book with a nice program. I've used the FF method described in that book and have liked the process and the result.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:31 am

Evan's SmartWorks is and excellent choice for the non-slip retriever. James Spencer's Hup Training flushing spaniels the American way Is a fine choice. Stick with Smart works for your Retriever and Hup" for the Springer. The methods in each are radically different, different type dogs different stokes. Out side of that your, breeder, if he is creditable will be your best adviser on your Springers development.
Hal

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:35 am

Takem wrote:
IsThisHeaven? wrote:Sounds like a real nice pup you have there. Where did you get him? Photos?
Got him from Jim Karlovec at flushing star gun dogs in Ohio.
If you got him from Jim you'll have no problem getting him to hunt. My cocker is from Jim and he is all hunt all the time and a great retriever. Have fun.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:28 am

Jim Karlovic would be the best council you have. He would be your go to spaniel guy, with questions or issues. Jim and I spent time together 20 yrs or so ago in Wales when we were both at Saighton Kennels on dog buying and training week!
L to R Photo of myself, my wife Nancy, Jim Karlovic, Lee Roy VanKirk and Andrew Greene
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:22 pm

Facial hair and 'Beanie hats' were all the rage back then :lol:

welsh

Post by welsh » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:58 pm

Wait ... were all the rage?

I thought all you folks across the pond looked like Graham West?