Training off leash

TheIndian

Training off leash

Post by TheIndian » Fri May 13, 2016 6:31 pm

Have a 3 1/2 month GSP and chomping at the bit to get him off leash and outside. As per Vets instructions, he should remain homebound/yardbound till all shots in order...5 more days!

I am very interested in getting an e-collar so I can train him to be off leash. I am trying to learn as much as I can about the Garmin Pro 70 and 550. Can you guys offer your advice on which one is better? Reputable models? I think yes. Your pros, cons? Am I going about this the right way using an e-collar? I will only be running one dog so I am leaning towards the 550...I think.

Since I obviously trying to train him to obey when off leash, I am assuming a tracking collar would be above and beyond what I need right now, correct? (Also, some tracking collars are way expensive!)

Thanks

twistedoak

Re: Training off leash

Post by twistedoak » Fri May 13, 2016 6:53 pm

too early in my opinion for an ecollar
take him someplace safe and put a check cord on him for safety reasons.
at this point you want the dog to gain confidence and independence so you really only want to recall him in an emergency.

if you want to work on recall , do it in the yard and with a check cord.
ecollars are a reinforcing tool more then a teaching device

TheIndian

Post by TheIndian » Fri May 13, 2016 7:24 pm

Thanks for the advice twistedoak.
He been off leash in yard of course and responds very well to "come" at this point. (working on "heel" and "whoa" also with less satisfying results...but being patient)
Will learn about/incorporate a check cord. Have seen them used a lot in videos.
Thx.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri May 13, 2016 9:07 pm

I never found an e collar necessary for off leash - if you mean heeling - training. Heel repetition does the job.
If you mean coming when off leash in the field, an e collar works well. I use the Dogtra 2500 B/T and have always been happy with it.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat May 14, 2016 5:10 am

I consider the ecollar as a tool for reinforcing, not teaching (except in the case of trashbreaking off deer). Generally my dogs needed a little nick as a reminder at around 5-6 months old; they tend to run big and we live near roads so compliance is a safety issue.
Don't use the ecollar as a shortcut - do the cc work and the yardwork first. It takes effort, time, and patience.
IME TriTronics - now Garmin- have been excellent.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat May 14, 2016 6:41 am

He's a puppy. He certainly doesn't need an e-collar to be off leash.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat May 14, 2016 10:57 am

I too think the e-collar is a poor choice at this age for your puppy. I also use the e-collar only to reinforce lessons already learned(with the exception of deer chasing). I do not like using the e-collar for avoidance training as some do. Not comfortable with that type of use.

A 15-20 ft.checkcord that lays flat when the dog runs(7/16 " or thicker) is as much of a safety valve as you should need. as the dog grows in age and strength, you might consider a locator(GPS)type collar for enhanced peace of mind.

Take the pup to a relatively safe area(no roads close by) and let the dog run with the checkcord attached. If you go to an area that is fairly heavily grown up, Your pup will not venture too far from you because the going will be pretty tough. if you go to an area where the cover is low and wide open, the pup will tend to reach out more(or at least, I would hope it will, if it were mine).

Bring water with you and call the dog in for(just) a slurp or two every few minutes, if it is warm. Down the road, especially if it is warm and the pup has been schooled that you are the one with the water, it will either hang with you, come back for you... or be awful thirsty.

RayG

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat May 14, 2016 1:19 pm

The 'Roaming about the heather' always did put the hairs on the back of my neck !
That glorious and wondrous image of a breed doing what was intended by those that have shown those what they have in that breeding ,which has taken years to develop to give this young dog in the hands of a new owner.
Then ,when training techniques and systems are offered from well minded folk with various backgrounds and experience it gets ...complicated and confusing ?..
e-collar was mentioned so ! ..so is the leash, so is the basic fundamentals of nurturing and training a dog (any dog) no matter the breed or what it's ancestors achieved .

I'll throw in a curve ball ?...
Let the pup hunt ..with absolutely no word or correction nor 'direction' ! Off lead.
Well, let's face it ...It ain't learned yet has it ?
Just to be nicey ,nicey .
Have a wonderful time with your dog .
as a ps /or is that pc .
Get hold of a decent trainer who can perhaps train you ?
Sharon is gonna kill me ,and send loads of pm's to all sorts of folk :mrgreen:

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat May 14, 2016 2:09 pm

Nothing can be reinforced with the ecollar that is not thoroughly understood without it. Put on your tennis shoes and get to work.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat May 14, 2016 2:44 pm

The only problem I have ever had with a young pup in the field for the first few times is getting them o get far enough away so you don't step on them. It will take several trips and several hours for the pup to feel comfortable enough to start exploring on its own and even thn they will keep pretty close tabs on where you are. Your concern about losing a pup in the field well normally not be a problem till the pup is much older and experienced.

Quiet walks with the pup exploring a brand new world will gradually allow the pup to learn what it has been bred to do/
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat May 14, 2016 2:47 pm

ezzy333 wrote:The only problem I have ever had with a young pup in the field for the first few times is getting them o get far enough away so you don't step on them. It will take several trips and several hours for the pup to feel comfortable enough to start exploring on its own and even thn they will keep pretty close tabs on where you are. Your concern about losing a pup in the field well normally not be a problem till the pup is much older and experienced.

Quiet walks with the pup exploring a brand new world will gradually allow the pup to learn what it has been bred to do/
+1
..but with an experienced eye

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat May 14, 2016 2:49 pm

polmaise wrote:The 'Roaming about the heather' always did put the hairs on the back of my neck !
That glorious and wondrous image of a breed doing what was intended by those that have shown those what they have in that breeding ,which has taken years to develop to give this young dog in the hands of a new owner.
Then ,when training techniques and systems are offered from well minded folk with various backgrounds and experience it gets ...complicated and confusing ?..
e-collar was mentioned so ! ..so is the leash, so is the basic fundamentals of nurturing and training a dog (any dog) no matter the breed or what it's ancestors achieved .

I'll throw in a curve ball ?...
Let the pup hunt ..with absolutely no word or correction nor 'direction' ! Off lead.
Well, let's face it ...It ain't learned yet has it ?
Just to be nicey ,nicey .
Have a wonderful time with your dog .
as a ps /or is that pc .
Get hold of a decent trainer who can perhaps train you ?
Sharon is gonna kill me ,and send loads of pm's to all sorts of folk :mrgreen:

Could you please leave my name out of your posts? Didn't appreciate that. I haven't been nasty to you, when I could have said plenty. I only talk to 2 friends on here, and I can assure you we don't spend time talking about your posts.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat May 14, 2016 3:55 pm

I haven't been nasty to you, when I could have said plenty. I only talk to 2 friends on here, and I can assure you we don't spend time talking about your posts.[/quote]
Training off leash is a great opportunity missed by most when they young dog knows no better .More often its when a non experienced dog owner has an experienced young dog from an experienced dog breeder .
Let the leash off ? ..let the leash on!?..e-collar!?. ..give it a cookie ? .. Sit ? , Hunt? ..let it go ? .. Heel/sit/stay/re-call?.
So one only talks to friends ?> Not much help for the OP ' .unless they are now a friend of course :wink:

TheIndian

Post by TheIndian » Sat May 14, 2016 5:50 pm

You guys are nuts LOL

Thanks for all the great advice! To be honest, I really wasn't planning on getting an ecollar at this stage but since he gonna grow so quick, I wanna learn all I can and be prepared for the upcoming years. Reinforcing?...ok, will remember that. Going to continue with the verbal (and if I can remember - visual) commands for now.

I will definitely learn how to use the cc too and when shots in order, will take him out exploring more. I've mentioned in the past that I have some acreage and that will be a place I think he going to love...just have to keep him away from the porcupines ;)

(now back to my IPA)