Lowest Stimulation too much???

Montana

Lowest Stimulation too much???

Post by Montana » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:09 am

I'm starting to work with a young dog and the lowest stimulation level on my e-collar appears too much... He jumps up and spins around when I nick him, which to me means it's too much for him. Any suggestions? He's a year old and I have him pretty well trained on the recall and hup (he's a springer)....just trying to get better compliance at a distance. He's a big, bold dog so i was surprised how he reacted the first time I nicked him... The collar I have is the TT Pro 100 G3.

Timewise65

Re: Lowest Stimulation too much???

Post by Timewise65 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:07 am

What brand of collar system do you have? I had one that was also to strong for my retriever, I then purchased a Tritronics and have no further problems.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:21 am

thats strange most collars when on lowest setting the dog or me cant even fell it my collar is level 3 and then it just a head twitchi have a d t collar and i have bass pro shop collar with a beeper both are level 3 for my dog try it on yourself and see what its putting out

Montana

Post by Montana » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:38 pm

Timewise65 wrote:What brand of collar system do you have? I had one that was also to strong for my retriever, I then purchased a Tritronics and have no further problems.
It's a tritronics Pro 100 G3. Seems really odd to me that the lowest setting would be too much... Makes me wonder if something isn't wrong with the collar. Needless to say, it's been put away until I figure out what's going on.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:41 pm

Montana wrote:[

It's a tritronics Pro 100 G3. Seems really odd to me that the lowest setting would be too much... Makes me wonder if something isn't wrong with the collar. Needless to say, it's been put away until I figure out what's going on.

Have you tested it on yourself to see what your dog is feeling? If not, do so.

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:11 pm

Have you properly introduced the e collar to the dog? It may be just be a reaction to the surprise of the stimulation.

If you haven't properly introduced the ecollar, I would read up on it and start from there. Most of the manufactures have articles on their websites.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:02 pm

Sure the dog isn't just putting on a show to avoid compliance?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Montana

Post by Montana » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:49 am

ROTTnBRITT wrote:Have you properly introduced the e collar to the dog? It may be just be a reaction to the surprise of the stimulation.

If you haven't properly introduced the ecollar, I would read up on it and start from there. Most of the manufactures have articles on their websites.
Yes, I have.. At the lowest setting, the stimulation should be barely noticeable... I've had gundogs since 1973 and have trained countless dogs. I've just never ran into a dog that reacted like this dog to the lowest setting. I think I'll test the collar out on my wife and see if she thinks there's something wrong with it. :D

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:20 am

I like your approach, but wives bite too! OUCH :mrgreen:

Really unusual for a Tritronics to have that problem. As others say, make sure the dog is properly collar conditioned. I prefer to introduce the collar as part of the force fetching process.

Good luck

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:45 pm

FWIW -

I have an older Tritronics Flyway Special. If I put it on level 1, I cannot feel the stim if the contact points are on the palm of my hand. I can JUST feel the stim when the contact points are on the back of my hand. I can feel the stim, but is in no way unpleasant, more like a tickle, when I touch the contacts to my neck.

If your TT is hotter than that on level 1...I think there is something amiss.

Also, I have had varying levels of response to stim, from different dogs. Some are much more "responsive" to the lower levels of stim.

RayG

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:58 am

I have a Pro 100 gen 2 and use level 2 for most of my dogs. I always test the collar on my own neck before putting it on them. I can barely feel a 1 and the 2 just gives me a "twitching " sensation. TT's are pretty much bullet proof but I always test them on myself before strapping them on the dog.

I use a whoa post method on the flank to steady my green dogs. To transition to the ecollar, I strap it on with the check cord half hitch and just let the dog drag the cord past the post then give the stimulation at about the same distance from the post if it were attached. The association works pretty good and there is no surprises with the dog.

Just a thought,

Wish you the best.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:44 am

Do you have it on correctly many people put the collars on incorrectly which to loose and to low both can cause the contact points not to make good contact which can result in sharp jolts versus a stimulation
Also there are some dogs that are hypersensitive to electricity and or are drama queens and over react to new stimulation.

Or it could be that that collar may be programed wrong and it is to high. Have you tested it on yourself? Compared to other collars?
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:29 pm

If you can barely feel it on your hand, MAKE the dog work through it. That's sometimes what ecollar breaking is all about. After the dog gets done boo-hooing over having to wear it, he'll accept it and you will be able to go to higher levels.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.