New to KC Help

jhawk13

New to KC Help

Post by jhawk13 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:26 pm

Hello everyone, this March I moved back to Kansas City and am beginning training with my vizsla. I am doing a perfect start clinic with John Hann in June. I have joined the vizsla club of Kansas City and am looking for more connections/help in the KC area. I have access to a field that I plan to use to train but do not have a place to keep the birds. I am wondering if people in KC trap pigeons and if so where at or if they just buy birds for the weekend and them release them once they are done with them. If you do buy birds, I would love to know where you get them from. Near KC (within 45 minutes) are there any good hunting preserves or places that allow you to train your dog on? Any tips and help would be great

tailcrackin

Re: New to KC Help

Post by tailcrackin » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:21 am

Keep an open mind, on your training with a viz. The breed is smart, doesn't forget, nor forgive.
Get with John Markham, he is VJohn on here, located in Manhatten. He is also a viz guy, and works with rescue group on the breed. He is a great guy, and loves the red dogs. He owns a nice bitch I worked few years back for the viz national. The breed can be great, if you allow it to be. Thanks, and hope this helps, Jonesy
"Don't make it happen. Get it ready and let it happen"
- Ray Hunt
www.jonesysgundogs.com

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:13 am

Look in the birds section of this forum---Mueller who lives in MO. has pigeons for sale at $3.50. This was a recent ad--April 9

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:03 pm

get on internet and find hunting preserve in your area you can train your dog there or buy some birds from them it is a lot easy to let them put the birds out you show up hunt the birds and go back home

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:22 am

Depending on where you're at in Kansas City I am around two hours away. But I do raise birds and dogs and have more brown than you can shake a stick at. You ever need some birds let me know and you can bring your dog and we can do some training up here . I don't frequent GDF near as much as I once did so the best way to get in touch with me is to call. 785-288-0461
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Moulders Farm

Post by Moulders Farm » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:19 pm

Deseeker is right Mueller has Birds & if you can talk him into helping train ,in my books he is the best trainer in Mo. but is retired & likes to train the owner as well as the dog , & will only take a dog after meeting the owner & works with them he has the pigions to sell or use at his place . when he gets to know some one being retired he works at his pace & uses very little force

Strangercreek3

Post by Strangercreek3 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:56 pm

Jayhawk, I have some homing pigeons you can use them for free. I am 15 minutes west of Kansas City Kansas. Pm me

Spotshooter

Post by Spotshooter » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:13 pm

Don't forget the perfection kennels are fairly close if you want to do a perfect start / finish clinic

fireman1293

Post by fireman1293 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:50 pm

If you want to do any NAVDHA training a new chapter calling themselves the MOKAN chapter just started a little south of KC. The contact for the chapter is Ken Hanlen @ kshanlen@earthlink.net
one of the members has land for training

jhawk13

Post by jhawk13 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:53 pm

Spotshooter wrote:Don't forget the perfection kennels are fairly close if you want to do a perfect start / finish clinic
we are doing a perfect start in june

Spotshooter

Post by Spotshooter » Sun May 08, 2016 6:54 am

Well if you'll be at perfect start in June I'll see you there.

Look for a guy with a 90% white Brittany ... Ask him if he's "Spot shooter"...