Video: Pointer Cued to Flush the Bird Then STF

Higgins

Video: Pointer Cued to Flush the Bird Then STF

Post by Higgins » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:59 pm

Here is a young Pointer learning the "get in" or as I say, the "flush/stop cue. I slowed the video down just as I give the cue (a quick movement of my shoulders toward the bird). I want the dog to believe that his stopping, after the flush, causes the gun to go off. He already knows that when the gun goes off, he will often be rewarded with the bird.

I find this a very useful cue when I, the shooter, can't get there (heavy cover, other side of a ditch, etc.) to flush the bird.
https://vimeo.com/122187571

Brad Higgins
Higgins Gundogs

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Re: Video: Pointer Cued to Flush the Bird Then STF

Post by Trekmoor » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:37 am

Hi Brad, I also have my dogs flush on command. I use a vocal command or a whistled command though and not a visual one because , depending upon where I approach the point from, the dog may not be able to see me.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

marc

Post by marc » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:58 am

That's awesome Brad. My first GSP and I used that method together (it just became a organic routine) which resulted in a severe decline of the ruffed grouse population. Luger was extremely smart, and learned to position himself to direct the birds he flushed towards me, as well. I shot many grouse as they flew across wide-open fields! That is something that I hope to be able to teach Mauser, but I don't know how, as Luger and I merely arrived at an understanding, There was no discrete training path.

Soarer31

Post by Soarer31 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:31 pm

Trekmoor wrote:Hi Brad, I also have my dogs flush on command. I use a vocal command or a whistled command though and not a visual one because , depending upon where I approach the point from, the dog may not be able to see me.

Bill T.
X2
I also use flush command voice only ""getem!!!""....might have to repeat two or three times depending how far away the bird is

ulmer86

Post by ulmer86 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:33 am

I'm glad you posted this I also have been having my dog flush on command works well on pheasants in thick cattails. when he goes on point and im ready I give the command he goes in I can stay put and have a good shot at the flushing bird and with young hunters work's very well they can stay on the out side where they can see not in cattails 4 feet taller then them. I haven't really seen that any one did it so was starting to think it is some thing I should not be teaching him. Started thinking it might turn him in to a flusher instead of a pointer even tho it has not caused a problem yet. He stays on point and waits for me to flush or the command. He is 3 now and this past season is the first time I started doing it more often. Many birds have ended up in the frying pan using this technique.
Have you ever had a problem with dogs starting to flush on there own?

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:01 pm

I have no problem strolling in front of my dog to flush birds. :)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:10 pm

Elkhunter wrote:I have no problem strolling in front of my dog to flush birds. :)
I nreally think that is the second most enjoyable part of hunting with a pointer. Watching the dog work is No. 1. If I can't flush the bird then it won but I will be back. I just don't think killing the bird is that important for an enjoyable hunt. You win some and you lose some and those will be there for tomorrow.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:28 pm

I've never thought about the flush in that way Ezzy. I sort of think of the flush on command as being a reward for the dog. If I were to move in front of the dog and then fail to flush the bird the dog would get no reward other than the point itself.

Bill T.

marc

Post by marc » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:28 pm

I agree Trekmor. Mauser and I will develop to work as a team, using all options available, with the goal of getting the bird.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:32 am

marc wrote:I agree Trekmor. Mauser and I will develop to work as a team, using all options available, with the goal of getting the bird.

I cant imagine this being effective on species besides maybe a pheasant. I have running chukars and huns and the last thing I want would be a dog hauling "bleep" ahead of me to flush birds. Way more productive and safe for me just to walk up and flush. The last place I want my dog when I am trying to kill something is in front of me.

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:53 am

Incredibly effective on grouse and pheasant, taught my Brittany and my first Setter to do this. If I wasn't trialing with my current dogs, would teach them too. Already working on it with my Gordon as her trialing time lessens. For me the beauty of the experience is working as a team with my dog and this just takes that to another level. The stop after flush is the hardest part but flushing dog owners teach this regularly.
Colin

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:27 pm

Having the dog flush birds on command is what just about everyone in Britain and on the continent does.I think the same thing is done in S. Africa, New Zealand and Australia too. It works with every kind of gamebird I've ever hunted dogs for .........partridge, grouse, pheasant, snipe, woodcock plus a few odds and sundries. If a bird has ran from the point then the dog does a controlled follow with the handler keeping up with the moving dog until the bird flushes or until the dog re-establishes a point a bit further on.

If the bird....usually a pheasant......has ran too far and too fast to catch up on, the dog is told to break off from it's follow up and is hunted on . Maybe the dog will find the bird again further on or maybe it won't. Not all birds can be successfully "followed" but if a bird has ran then trying to kick it up won't work either.

I teach dogs that after the flush they must sit or at least stop dead in their tracks. The command to stop/sit is the flush itself. The stop to shot is taught separately to begin with and when that is added to the stop to flush you have a dog that has had two commands to stop every time it flushes a bird without a word being said or a whistle being blown. So far I have never even came near to accidentally shooting a dog trained in this way.

Bill T.

Soarer31

Post by Soarer31 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:37 pm

Elkhunter wrote:I have no problem strolling in front of my dog to flush birds. :)
Point , flush , retrieve....
Anything short of that is a cop-out
You are stealing the dogs thunder! :D