At a loss

DeLo727

At a loss

Post by DeLo727 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:51 am

so my pup in his terrible 2s I think. I haven't had as much time to spend with him the last two months but I still make sure to do my house work. He's doing pretty well, maybe a little rebellious but he really needs to be run some more and I'm trying to take some more time off work because its not fair to him.
With that said we have a new issue. Maybe I should have been laying off him a little bit lately because I haven't been able to work him out but he has been getting himself into a lot of trouble around the house and getting scolded quite a bit both inside and outside. Our new issue is that when he's getting corrected and when he's really happy he's started to tinkle all over the place. I thought at first it was because I was being too hard on him but I am not convinced now. I am not nearly as hard on the dog as a lot of guys are, he never gets hit, just hollered at and he does it just as much when he's excited. I've heard of dogs doing this before so Its not the end of the world but its making a lot of work for me and I am scratching my head on how to discourage it.
He cant be scolded or corrected because that's a trigger, it cant be ignored because if I let it go it turns into quite a mess. In the meantime I have been doing all of our housework outside and it helps but it still doesn't solve anything because when he breaks the rules in the house it needs to be corrected there as well.
Its been recommended to me to ignore it but this is not the solution, He's eight months now and he knows the rules. Enough so that if he is going to do something bad i.e. chew on something he's not supposed to, climb all over the furniture, jump on the door etc. etc, than he tries to hide it and all I have to do is say his name without even raising my voice and you can tell by how he responds that he's not supposed to do it, not to mention he checks to see if you're looking first lol.
Instead of yelling at him I've tried light stimulation, vibration, avoidance, everything. I'm getting desperate. Not to mention I cant play with him in my house because I get the same problem. Any ideas?

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: At a loss

Post by shags » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:24 am

So you've used the ecollar on your pup for peeing when he's overstimulated? Bad move! Stop all your corrections.

Sorry, but you need to suck it up, Buttercup. The more you 'notice' it the worse it will get. The dog isn't doing it on purpose to spite you, he can't help it any more than he can help coughing or sneezing. It just happens. He'll outgrow it eventually if you handle it correctly.

Is the pup left alone for a long time, without having a way to relieve himself? Having to hold it makes the bladder distend and puts a strain on the detrussors and sphincters, so they get kind of paralysed and don't respond properly until they have time to readjust. Most dogs can handle it, but it can pose a problem with the ones that have the issue of excited peeing. It might help if he has a chamce to go a couple time throughout the day.

What is your routine when you return home from work? With pups that pee, it helps to ignore them for a few minutes, do not speak or make a happy time until you have your jacket hung up and your keys put away. Then, be very calm when you approach the dog, no excited happy voice and no rubbing him up. Just quietly open the crate and let him outside. If rough housing sets off a flow, then don't rough house. If your loud voice is a trigger, be quiet.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this problem, and barring any physical issues like a UTI it's just something you have to deal with until your pup matures some more. If you are intense and high strung, your dog picks up on it, and that exacerbates the problem. So find it within yourself to be calm and steady in order to help your dog. In the meantime it's just a matter of having plenty of paper towels and cleaning solution on hand. Remember that he can't help it any more than he can help having white hairs on his body. It's very annoying to be sure, but he'll get over it in time.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:56 am

So,has there been much improvement since last November ?
Did you get a crate?
DeLo727 wrote: I have a new little French Brittany that I am completely in love with. His name is Louis and he's about 13 weeks right now. I've had him a touch over a month. Louis is a little troublemaker and I've run into some dilemmas with him. Here is what I'm dealing with.

Biting...Understanding that the breed can be a little nippier than some at a young age I am not as concerned with this as Im making it sound. Some days he understands that he can't nip and some days he doesn't care at all. He gets a little flick on the nose and a firm no but I'm not making much ground.
Potty...Louis is definitely understands that house accidents are unacceptable, but he's still having quite a few accidents. Im still learning his body language so Ill take some credit for the accidents but I feel like I'm following a good regiment. I take him outside frequently when I am home and he's crated while I'm working. When he has an accident you can tell he knows he did bad.

A raised voice gets a cowering fright response out of him. Just from me, not the wife. He doesn't seem scared of loud noises so thats not it. He just doesn't like to be disciplined.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:14 am

As I understand it if a pup widdles "uncontrollably" it is a response to domination or perceived domination. The pup widdles to show it's submission so if you then correct or even notice that widdling the pup thinks it isn't widdling enough so it widdles all the more. With my pups it had nothing to do with the pup actually needing the toilet.

I've only experienced this with 2-3 pups over the years but all I had to do to "cure" it was to ignore excited advances by the pup and never correct what is essentially a submission widdle. I just ignored the pup, ignored the widdle and then cleaned up the widdle with no fuss attached as I did so. If that is done pups grow out of it.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:38 pm

quote="DeLo727"].............. I haven't had as much time to spend with him the last two months but I still make sure to do my house work. He's doing pretty well, maybe a little rebellious but he really needs to be run some more and I'm trying to take some more time off work because its not fair to him.
With that said we have a new issue. Maybe I should have been laying off him a little bit lately because I haven't been able to work him out but he has been getting himself into a lot of trouble around the house and getting scolded quite a bit both inside and outside. Our new issue is that when he's getting corrected and when he's really happy he's started to tinkle all over the place. I thought at first it was because I was being too hard on him but I am not convinced now. I am not nearly as hard on the dog as a lot of guys are, he never gets hit, just hollered at and he does it just as much when he's excited. I've heard of dogs doing this before so Its not the end of the world but its making a lot of work for me and I am scratching my head on how to discourage it.
He cant be scolded or corrected because that's a trigger, it cant be ignored because if I let it go it turns into quite a mess. In the meantime I have been doing all of our housework outside and it helps but it still doesn't solve anything because when he breaks the rules in the house it needs to be corrected there as well.
Its been recommended to me to ignore it but this is not the solution, He's eight months now and he knows the rules. Enough so that if he is going to do something bad i.e. chew on something he's not supposed to, climb all over the furniture, jump on the door etc. etc, than he tries to hide it and all I have to do is say his name without even raising my voice and you can tell by how he responds that he's not supposed to do it, not to mention he checks to see if you're looking first lol.
Instead of yelling at him I've tried light stimulation, vibration, avoidance, everything. I'm getting desperate. Not to mention I cant play with him in my house because I get the same problem. Any ideas?[/quote]

You know how to solve these problems. Any high energy gundog who isn't getting proper hard running exercise ( not a walk around the block), will exhibit a variety of unacceptable behaviours. He's at the peak of his athleticism .
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DeLo727

Post by DeLo727 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:00 am

Things have certainly got better from than, he's a good dog doing a lot of puppy like things. The potty training did take longer than all of my other dogs I have owned and longer than some trainers I talked to thought was needed. But we got through it and everything else is going well or at least going. I did get a crate and that surprisingly was the easiest training task I've ever done. He went into his crate right away and was responsive to the kennel command In a couple hours. Now it's his favorite place to rest and sleep, besides for my bed of course when nobody is looking.
I however, have to disagree with Sharon.I say I haven't had as much time as I would like to run him, which is true, but he's still exercised more than most hunting dogs I know. I live on a five acre wood lot that he runs around in with me everyday. He's just not getting the long training runs in the bird woods I would like. It can't be the problem or "bleep" near everyone I know with a hunting dog would be pulling their hair out because of dog problems.
polmaise wrote:So,has there been much improvement since last November ?
Did you get a crate?
DeLo727 wrote: I have a new little French Brittany that I am completely in love with. His name is Louis and he's about 13 weeks right now. I've had him a touch over a month. Louis is a little troublemaker and I've run into some dilemmas with him. Here is what I'm dealing with.

Biting...Understanding that the breed can be a little nippier than some at a young age I am not as concerned with this as Im making it sound. Some days he understands that he can't nip and some days he doesn't care at all. He gets a little flick on the nose and a firm no but I'm not making much ground.
Potty...Louis is definitely understands that house accidents are unacceptable, but he's still having quite a few accidents. Im still learning his body language so Ill take some credit for the accidents but I feel like I'm following a good regiment. I take him outside frequently when I am home and he's crated while I'm working. When he has an accident you can tell he knows he did bad.

A raised voice gets a cowering fright response out of him. Just from me, not the wife. He doesn't seem scared of loud noises so thats not it. He just doesn't like to be disciplined.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:49 pm

You may be right DeLo but every dog is different and requires different levels of exercise, both mental and physical. Maybe your pup needs more than your friends' dogs.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:04 pm

put the e collar away theres nothing good can come from this from the sound of this your dog knows he did wrong i would not make to much of a big deal out of it give it some time and see if things improve