A dogs Range

BtheBrit

A dogs Range

Post by BtheBrit » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:54 pm

Does anyone "control" their dogs range depending on the type of animal they are hunting? Example: if you are hunting an open field for pheasants letting the dog range out further compared to, if you are hunting woods for Grouse and reeling them in a bit.

How does everyone get their dog to work at different ranges depending on the type of cover?

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Re: A dogs Range

Post by Chukar12 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:17 pm

I am of the opinion that all dogs come with a pre determined range that is adjusted by training, environment and the relationship with the handler. Their reaction to the variables is a product of intellect and exposure. I have two legitimate all age dogs in the Brittany world that are very adept at adjusting their range and approach in variable circumstances.

If I pick up a long gun and take off on foot in a forty acre field, they adjust almost immediately especially if they are alone, if there is another dog I will have to hack a bit to curb the desire to compete for ground.

However, a pure run off, a timid predator, or a dumb dog will always struggle to adapt. There are a fair amount of these dogs out there and many pass on these genes via kennel blind breeders. To be fair, one must always provide an experience base before judging too quickly, a chukar dog may take a few days to adjust to grouse, or even a valley quail dog adjusting to Mearns. That's my disclaimer in saying that there are too many dogs that don't get bred for brains and prey drive, they are tough qualities to judge and many folks don't put dogs to the test that will allow them to measure that before breeding.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:47 pm

My dogs have always controlled their range on their own for the varying terrain we hunted in.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:56 pm

My dog also learned at a young age that she needs me to shoot the bird. She will keep me in sight and that controls her range. I suppose if you hack your dog back in every time it gets out of sight it would learn. If my dog goes over a hill and does not check in within 30 seconds, I had better get to her because she is on point.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:14 pm

How does everyone get their dog to work at different ranges depending on the type of cover?
There are different types of cover? I thought there was just rocks and grass!? One range, all the time! Brains only complicate things! :lol:

http://www.vimeo.com/157395104

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:43 pm

I do miss the Doc

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:07 pm

My white girl wants to run big. Is probably the smartest dog I have ever owned. And yes indeed it has surely complicated things. She sure doesn't like to be hacked in. And I don't enjoy it much myself. My avitar pup works closer. I prefer to match my dog to the terrain I'm going to be hunting. And in my opinion brains and bidable have nothing to do with each other.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:11 pm

oldbeek wrote:My dog also learned at a young age that she needs me to shoot the bird. She will keep me in sight and that controls her range. I suppose if you hack your dog back in every time it gets out of sight it would learn. If my dog goes over a hill and does not check in within 30 seconds, I had better get to her because she is on point.
30 seconds? More like a few minutes for mine. I wouldn't be comfortable hunting with a dog that was that "needy".

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:40 am

Chukar12 wrote:I do miss the Doc
:lol: :lol: Just enjoying being an old curmudgeon, keeping myself hacked in to within easy driving range of home!!

marc

Post by marc » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:33 pm

For the love of God, where the heck are you hunting Doc?

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:54 pm

Click on his website. You will understand. He also has some spectacular videos.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:30 pm

I'm new to the pointy types of dogs but with my young pointer, I just let her roll. She's aware of me and naturally cooperative. And if she holds point like she should, we'll be ok.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:37 pm

slistoe wrote:
oldbeek wrote:My dog also learned at a young age that she needs me to shoot the bird. She will keep me in sight and that controls her range. I suppose if you hack your dog back in every time it gets out of sight it would learn. If my dog goes over a hill and does not check in within 30 seconds, I had better get to her because she is on point.
30 seconds? More like a few minutes for mine. I wouldn't be comfortable hunting with a dog that was that "needy".
Checking in with her is seeing her flash through the brush at 300 yards away. In NASTRA, you have 30 minutes to cover 80 to 120 acres. No time to spare.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:07 am

oldbeek wrote:
slistoe wrote:
Checking in with her is seeing her flash through the brush at 300 yards away. In NASTRA, you have 30 minutes to cover 80 to 120 acres. No time to spare.
That sounds better.
Are you for sure on the NASTRA thing? First time I ever heard of a field that was 120 acres. I thought 40 acres was more the norm.