Observations?

marc

Observations?

Post by marc » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:00 am

I've used a modified version the Higgins method of "The Magic Brushpile", replacing the brushpile with magic hay bales, springing and live-shooting the bird. The theory remains the same. After two birds, Mauser caught on to the program. Before using the method, he was beating me to the bird. Now, when chasing around randomly flown quail in the field he is steady to wing, shot and fall some of the time. By not shooting every bird (it gets expensive), he has increasingly resumed chase after I flush the bird. He just turned 6 months old, and I have applied NO whoa training, corrective action or any type of pressure in the field. It's all fun and games for now. Not all the time, but some times when staunch on point, he will quickly look at me and wag his tail for a second or two as I am approaching the pointed bird in order to flush it. Then he locks up tight again as I kick around and shoot. I am interpreting this reaction as excited anticipation of getting the bird because I am going to shoot it. Here's a video example on a quail. You can see him look and wag, and when I turn around again, he is staunch. I am interested in your observations. Thanks.

https://youtu.be/yoUG9NhcTKs

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Observations?

Post by Sharon » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:58 pm

He's just unsure of what you want him to do." Should I stay or should I go.?"

I know nothing much about the Higgins method, but if my pup was that staunch at even 6 months , I'd be staunching him up completely.

You've got a winner there.:)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:47 am

It look's like me to be to much to soon. Pup is unsure of himself, that's where the looking to you and wagging his tail come's from. You said, "springing and live-shooting the bird". Do you have remote traps? If so you'll save yourself a lot of money by leaving the quail for maybe six more month's, +/-, and going to pigeons. Those live pen raised quail are not your friend. He find's out he can scoop them and it could bring on another problem, he night want to scoop them all and unless he's on a check cord, you can't stop him. The quail smell like quail but they don't act like wild quail at all. They'll sit long enough to let him catch it on the ground. Using remote's and pigeon's, you decide when he's to close and you control the bird. Also unless you put the pigeon to sleep or dizzy it, it's gonna leave the trap when popped and fly away! He won't ever catch one on the ground unless you mess up. Lot cheaper than buying pen raised game bird's.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Higgins

Post by Higgins » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:51 pm

Hello Marc,

Glad my method and the "Magic Brushpile" is working out for you. Remember, stay away from obedience including any "whoa" command. He is doing well now because he sees that cooperation works and helps him be successful (getting the bird in his mouth). He is learning to trust you to help him. Commands, obedience and pressure will take it all away. The foundation of my method is cooperation and trust. The opposite of obedience training.

He is now ready to learn that chasing is not part of a successful strategy. I would check cord him on a few birds so he understands that steadiness (not chasing) leads to success.

Feel free to ask me questions. I can help you here or, if it gets too nasty, you can e-mail me or visit my website.

All the best,

Brad Higgins
www.Higginsgundogs.com

marc

Post by marc » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:02 pm

Thank you everyone. I appreciate the feedback. I have a remote Dogtra launcher and Higgins release cage with a Dogtra receiver. I will be using both in series later on to steady him up upon scent. Opening the Higgins after the 1st bird is launched will allow him to learn that he might bust another bird if he breaks. The quail that I have are wily and hard fliers, but even so, Mauser does not even try to scoop them up now. I think he gets it, like Mr. Higgins says - he needs me to be successful.

He broke his bell off hard charging, and during the last two days afield, it sometimes took me a while to locate and get to him on point. He patiently waits, and I give him a "good boy" as take a few pics and then go in to flush. He did not wag his tail at all, and did not break after any birds - even one that danced around before it flushed. He waits until the shot and then he takes off, and tears around looking for the downed bird. It's fun to watch! Some birds I did not shoot at, and some I missed. The ones that I did not shoot at, he waited a few seconds, ran after them, found them and locked up on them again. The ones I missed he broke after the shot and relocated them as he did the others. These birds were flying hundreds of yards - across my farm fields and into woods, or up the mountain and out of my sight. He was ballistic!

Saturday evening while he was running around as I was loading hay, I called for him, and when he didn't come, I spotted him on point up the trail in the woods behind the house. I walked up the hill, and flushed a grouse that he had pinned down about 10 feet away. I don't know how long he was on point, but it could have been minutes. When the grouse flushed it exploded through some limbs and he jumped in surprise before pursuit ensued. Most of the grouse he has pointed have been much farther away. 20 seconds later he was on it again, but it wasn't sticking around. Having them around helps with training too! Our first successful grouse kill was in January, and he flipped it around for a while before giving it to me (hence the one remaining tail feather!)